New member seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdapply1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I transferred from one accredited university to another ivy league university. Prior to transferring my gpa was 3.9. At my new university it is 3.1. My cumulative GPA is 3.5 and my cumulative science GPA is 3.4. I had a tough semester and got my first C+ in a science course (not a pre-med requisite). Are my chances of getting into a top 20 medical school ruined?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What year are you?

3.5/3.4 is decent enough, and you still have 1.5 yrs to work on it. if you want to go to a top 20, you'll need some extensive research experience and probably some form of leadership activity. of course, you'll also need a very good MCAT score, at least 34+. but because your GPA is low for top 20s, you'll most likely need to compensate for shooting higher on the MCAT.

but remember, your goal is to get into medical school, not a top 20 medical school. nothing wrong with having ambition/high expectations, but it can be very difficult/unpredictable when it comes to the top 20s.

how are your ECs so far?