Seeking School List Advice, 522, cGPA 3.97/ WA Res, more details below

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryfaddis

Reaction score
Appreciate all of the help from you guys!
  1. sGPA - 3.96 cGPA - 3.97
  2. MCAT 522
  3. Applying as Junior
  4. Place of Residence: Washington
  5. Undergrad: State School
  6. Degree: Neuroscience major & Psych major, Bio minor
  1. ORM: White
  2. Clinical Work: 200 hours (CNA)
  3. Clinical Volunteering: 300 hours hospital volunteering completed
  4. Leadership: Undergrad Peer Mentoring (50 hours), 700 hours Orgo TA
  5. Shadowing 55 Hours (Neurosurg, Gastrosurg, & Anes)
  6. Research 1700 hours completed, 400 projected, 3 Regional Poster presentations, no pubs, personally planned and executed projects w/ grant funding
  7. Non Clinical Volunteering: Donation Center, Multiple Food Banks 250 hours
  8. Honors: Dean’s list AllSemesters , multiple STEM GPA related scholarships, Research Related Funding
  9. Miscellaneous EC: classical pianist

This is my school list so far, suggestions and critiques very much needed.
Stanford
UC Davis
UC San Fran
UCLA
Yale
Cornell
Northwester
Johns Hopkins
Tufts
Harvard
Mayo
Columbia
Washington University
Rutgers
Albert Einstein
Icahn Sinai
NYU Grossman
Oregon University
University of Colorado
Vanderbilt
University of Washington
Washington State Unversity (Elson Floyd)

Members don't see this ad.

Remove UC Davis since they admit very few non residents (only 2 or 3 per year). Rutgers and Oregon admit few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Kaiser
USF Morsani
Duke
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Brown
Cincinnati

Reactions: 1 user
What's your mission fit? Why should a school want to interview you over someone else with the same or better metrics?

I would hope UW interviews you. You probably have to convince WSU why you would choose them over UW or other brand schools... but you should get attention.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's your mission fit? Why should a school want to interview you over someone else with the same or better metrics?

I would hope UW interviews you. You probably have to convince WSU why you would choose them over UW or other brand schools... but you should get attention.
One of my top priorities is participating in research immediately. I want to contribute to academia to some degree throughout my entire career and am heavily invested in pharmacology, psychopathology, applying modern math/stats/computational methods/deep machine learning to whatever specialty or academic project I find myself working in. More specifically my current research projects are circuit level neuroscience studies focused on the effect of exogenous drug intervention for chronic stress. However, I'm not applying MD/PhD and would like my role as a physician to be the focal point of my career.

I'm confused what you mean by "mission fit" do you have specific questions in mind that could help me elucidate on this?

One of my top priorities is participating in research immediately. I want to contribute to academia to some degree throughout my entire career and am heavily invested in pharmacology, psychopathology, applying modern math/stats/computational methods/deep machine learning to whatever specialty or academic project I find myself working in. More specifically my current research projects are circuit level neuroscience studies focused on the effect of exogenous drug intervention for chronic stress. However, I'm not applying MD/PhD and would like my role as a physician to be the focal point of my career.

I'm confused what you mean by "mission fit" do you have specific questions in mind that could help me elucidate on this?

Research 1700 hours completed, 400 projected, 3 Regional Poster presentations, no pubs, personally planned and executed projects w/ grant funding
I don't understand why you want to "participate in research immediately" if you already have this listed. It also suggests that maybe you are more invested in your interests in ML than MD... maybe pursue a master's in bioengineering before going to medical school. You won't get as much time to explore this area once you start your medical school journey, especially if you don't want MD/PhD. However, I would suggest looking into the Lerner Cleveland Clinic/CWRU track where you might be able to over five years. Plus I think they don't charge tuition IIRC.

I don't understand why you want to "participate in research immediately" if you already have this listed. It also suggests that maybe you are more invested in your interests in ML than MD... maybe pursue a master's in bioengineering before going to medical school. You won't get as much time to explore this area once you start your medical school journey, especially if you don't want MD/PhD. However, I would suggest looking into the Lerner Cleveland Clinic/CWRU track where you might be able to over five years. Plus I think they don't charge tuition IIRC.
I'm far more invested in MD than anything at all. I've spent a lot of time in research in undergrad, and it has thoroughly dissuaded me from pursuing a masters in any discipline. However, I still enjoy the practice of research science as it pertains to investigating medicine. I had many patient experiences as a CNA during the peak of the omicron variant in a severely understaffed long term care facility that drove me to realize it was fulfilling to provide direct patient care. It also made me realize that I would like complete autonomous control over patient care as I felt restricted by the limited contribution I could provide as a low level provider. For me, research is the greatest avenue that I have discovered to pursue deep knowledge and understanding of subjects that I am interested in as my undergrad institution has felt less than sufficient in educating me to my own personal standards. Does this help answer your questions?