New Mexico, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylus

Dorian Gray
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't come across anyone around here who is either from or in New Mexico... anyone? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Not from NM- my dad is (went to New Mexico State) and I grew up within an hour or so of NM- but I don't think I am going to apply there- I'm over the trips to the middle of nowhere to enjoy time on the farm counting rattle snakes and cactus plants lol... not that all of NM is that way but I just can't subject myself to that anymore!

I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico. Beautiful country.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from NM and I have lived here my whole life (southern NM).

My family's from Silver City and Bayard (but I grew up in Vegas)... I wanted to apply, but couldn't commit to EDP.

Really!?!?!? In my MSAR it says that out of state students have to apply early decision. SAD! I wish I would have known that a few months ago!

Really!?!?!? In my MSAR it says that out of state students have to apply early decision. SAD! I wish I would have known that a few months ago!

MSAR is just a bit behind because this is the first year they dumped it so everyone would apply in the same cycle. It's on their website in big print

I thought I would give this thread a little bump and ask if any one that has applied to UNM has gotten an acceptance yet? Or if anyone knows anything about when we are likely to hear back? I called a few weeks ago and they gave me the runaround about how they are officially waiting to send decisions in the mail until March, but that they might send them sooner or something?

Haha Ive heard that before... or how about You're from NM, and you speak such good english!! haha

Haha Ive heard that before... or how about You're from NM, and you speak such good english!! haha
Yeah I get the same thing when i tell ppl I was born in ND.

They always think its funny to say "what you talking aboot?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to UNM for class of 2012, and I was told the same thing-3/15. Has anyone heard?

I just moved out of New Mexico. Moved to Kansas. It's a sad day when Kansas has more going on than somewhere else. :laugh: Really, we hated living in the desert!

When we moved up here I had an interesting conversation with our UPS man:

(from my facebook profile)

The scene: Tracia sees the UPS man pull into the driveway. She is expecting several large packages and heads outside to instruct him to put them in the barn.

UPS man: "Hi, I'm your UPS man! I see you just moved in!"

Tracia: "Yeah, we did. Be careful, that's fragile."

UPS man: "Where did you move from?"

Tracia: "Oh, New Mexico."

UPS man: "Wow! I bet you're happy to be back in the 'States!"

Tracia: "No. ALBUQUERQUE NEW MEXICO. It's PART OF the United States."

UPS man: silence.

Tracia: "Isn't a basic understanding of geography a pre-requisite for your job?" :eek:

Spoke to UNM SOM today and they said that they have finished with their rolling admissions and all others will fall into the March 15th notification. Didnt know they actually did rolling admissions. They stated that the ones they knew they were going to offer admission to outright (the top 10-15%) had the last batch of notifications sent out last Tuesday. All others have to wait not until 3/15. Also the full rides they offer apparently go out early as well.
Best - Yasargil

I just moved out of New Mexico. Moved to Kansas. It's a sad day when Kansas has more going on than somewhere else. :laugh: Really, we hated living in the desert!

When we moved up here I had an interesting conversation with our UPS man:

(from my facebook profile)

The scene: Tracia sees the UPS man pull into the driveway. She is expecting several large packages and heads outside to instruct him to put them in the barn.

UPS man: "Hi, I'm your UPS man! I see you just moved in!"

Tracia: "Yeah, we did. Be careful, that's fragile."

UPS man: "Where did you move from?"

Tracia: "Oh, New Mexico."

UPS man: "Wow! I bet you're happy to be back in the 'States!"

Tracia: "No. ALBUQUERQUE NEW MEXICO. It's PART OF the United States."

UPS man: silence.

Tracia: "Isn't a basic understanding of geography a pre-requisite for your job?" :eek:

I moved from Kansas to New Mexico to go to school. I had never heard that people thought NM wasn't part of the US until I moved here. Now I makes jokes about leaving the country and other variations just because I find it funny.

Speak out if you are one of the few who have applied to UNM SOM and let us know if you were one of the very few who already received a notification for the few applicants who are grouped in the rolling admissions part. Supposedly they were gonna meet twice in Feb. I bet they already know everyone's fate. :rolleyes:

BTW :luck:

So, I really enjoy just having a nice conversation with myself... apparently. Posting replys to myself having threads for myself - trying to catch a flying monkey and put it in a jar to keep. Thats my flying monkey!

Can we hear from some of those that have already been accepted to UNM. Did you get acceptances to other places as well? Are you going to accept or reject UNM's offer?

I was accepted to UNM. I also interviewed at U Pitt and Johns Hopkins, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Last edited:
I hope we all get an acceptance letter soon fellow New Mexican SDN peeps!!!

I know of two who are accepted (one was a WICHE student I think)and there were some deferrals from last year who will be taking some spots this year. Also, some spots might be reserved for those that were in the post-bac program.... I know someone went to the Adcom office today and asked if they are going to be sending out the letters sooner.... nope. March 15-18 I think she said. Also, they waitlist down to 30 to 35 as well. Some years go down into the list deeper that others.... what was last year.... something like to the 22 waitlisted person an offer of acceptance was made.. Not 100% about this number though. With Dr. Bear running the show now, UNM is really looking to up their GPA and MCAT stats, so more may be weighed on that rather than how it was in the past (this is all sorta herasey though or how ever you spell that word, heresay??)
I dont know, I am just emotionally drained by all this cr*p. Reading other posts, like "Would you turn down Harvard, etc.".... Whatever... of course I would if I could goto UNM! But me stating that over in that post would be like "lowered expectations'. There is soooo much more involved. Screw those naive individuals..... Woah Yasargil, you are going off on a bit of a tangent! I apologize, but this is like what, only our future careers at hand here:eek: If this path does not pan out, I am seriously thinking about a complete 180 degree turn in my life and start wearing a moomoo and doing interpretative dance on the street corner for some change:idea:

Haha yeah I feel like going a little crazy myself. The wait is killer... and Im a re-applicant
so I already don't feel very confident about my odds...... they rejected me once.... they can do it again :(

I dont know, I am just emotionally drained by all this cr*p. Reading other posts, like "Would you turn down Harvard, etc.".... Whatever... of course I would if I could goto UNM! But me stating that over in that post would be like "lowered expectations'. There is soooo much more involved. Screw those naive individuals..... Woah Yasargil, you are going off on a bit of a tangent! I apologize, but this is like what, only our future careers at hand here:eek: If this path does not pan out, I am seriously thinking about a complete 180 degree turn in my life and start wearing a moomoo and doing interpretative dance on the street corner for some change:idea:

:laugh: you're crazy man but I like you. i feel the same way...... i've already begun considering the life of a hobo

Haha yeah I feel like going a little crazy myself. The wait is killer... and Im a re-applicant
so I already don't feel very confident about my odds...... they rejected me once.... they can do it again :(
I know UNM denies it, but they look more carefully at re-apps.

Thx Yasargil... makes me feel a little better :) It seems there are a few of us New Mexicans lurking on SDN!!

Did UNM have a Second Look or whatever it is called? If so, did that change anyones mind about committing to UNM?
I know that they have finished with interviews.
Any new changes for anyone? For me... simply more benzos while I wait for March.:scared:

This sucks as I bet they really already know who they are gonna accept and reject. If anything, they are ranking people within their waitlist at this point..?...

Does anyone know the correlation coefficient for performance on the MCAT to Step I? Is it like .7?

No news here here buddy.... just gotta chill until late March I guess.

No news here here buddy.... just gotta chill until late March I guess.

Ahh my fellow Burque Peeps, there is no reason for us to sit around being passive! Rize! Rize! and march your arses into that School of Admissions office and ask for, nay, DEMAND to know what financial aid package they are so carefully putting together for you to appease your wantin poor arse!

Ahh to hell with it.

So, what is everyones desire for clinical practice? Certainly we all know UNM is acclaimed for its Rural Care, and the big push for this school is Family Practice....

What field do each of you think (at this point) you want to enter?

------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Spelling might not be correct,
but you will NEVER see me use the made-
up word 'anyways'. It's 'anyway' you ever
so intelligent people with your 40+ MCATs!

Hey ... I'm from Albuquerque, NM (South Valley, actually). I am attending UNM and I graduate in May. I am applying this summer, and I am more than a little nervous about the application process. My GPA is okay and I am taking the MCAT in April. :)

I'm a New Mexico resident. I was born in Russia, grew up in NY/CO, and went to school in Boston. I've been living in NM for almost 2 years and working on the rez. I haven't had a good nights sleep since October. Since March 15th is a Saturday, do you guys think they'll mail out the letters on the 14th or 17th?

Speaking of UNM I'm from Albuquerque but went out of state for undergrad. Are most of you that are applying UNM alums/students? (just curious)

I went to UNM for undergrad and UCSD for grad school. I moved back to NM to do a postdoc at Los Alamos.

Speaking of UNM I'm from Albuquerque but went out of state for undergrad. Are most of you that are applying UNM alums/students? (just curious)

Hello to the recent new posters!

So I am a non-trad person - family etc, but not like all grotesquely old.
I am a Native and did undergrad, grad, and post-doc at UNM. I think UNM likes that, but they dont seem to like me! We will soon see though as that deadline date is quickly approaching. I should sedate myself into submission now so that I can handle this crappy waiting process. You know they already know....
Those Adcom peeps, they are like flies around here... everywhere.... in your face, but not willing to give you any answers.

I have to go vomit now, bye.

Are you one of the 21 people who have already been offered a position at UNM? If so, let us know if you are going to take the acceptance. For the others, the Adcom might post web results on Friday since the 15th falls on a Sat - they like to be vague...
:luck:

Post your news when you hear. Good luck all! :)

Post your news when you hear. Good luck all! :)

Found out Saturday from my wifey while I was at work. ...
Waitlisted! Damn my MCAT! Damn my Academic Medicine! Arg. What a wonderful work day Saturday was for me!!!

The waitlist is 40 deep and last year they went to about 22 and the year before 33.

So, for those of use who are now studying the MCAT for next cycle, with only a small hope remaining to come off of the waitlist, why dont those of you who got accepted off of rolling admissions and those who just found out yesterday let us poor waitlisted b@stards know if you are gonna go with UNM or go somewhere else.

Also, is the second look that UNM is going to hold make you really want to stay with UNM?

What is it... 75 positions for the class?
They had 13 from last year who deferred or were in the Post-Bacc program so that leaves 62. Also the 21 accepted off of rolling admissions. They supposedly only had 201 people apply. So that leaves 41 acceptance letters they sent out Friday (every applicant had a 20% chance of getting accepted at that point - what wonderful odds!).

All the best to everyone! - I hate my Kaplan books.....

Found out Saturday from my wifey while I was at work. ...
Waitlisted! Damn my MCAT! Damn my Academic Medicine! Arg. What a wonderful work day Saturday was for me!!!

The waitlist is 40 deep and last year they went to about 22 and the year before 33.

Same here... waitlisted. Now what? More waiting and hoping??

Same here... waitlisted. Now what? More waiting and hoping??

Waitlists off and number of completed secondaries:
1997 24 of 320
1998 19 of 319
1999 ?
2000 27
2001 26 of 329
2002 30 of 255
2003 24 of 271
2004 25 of 274
2005 19 of 274
2006 33 of 221
2007 22

-does not look like its gonna happen for me

I have a below 30 MCAT. It was a long time since I took those organic and physics classes..

Oh well, I guess I suck refried beans in the eyes of UNM. Makes me want to say screw the state and go elsewhere.

sorry venting still... Good luck to all the other waitlisters out there who are 25 and below, your chances are real!

I wont even end as others do by saying 'Peace'. (I'd rather quote the lyrics of a particular Slayer song instead - those metal heads will know.)
Just 'Word.'

AHHH Im so nervous!! I haven't heard anything yet!! Did you get you get a letter or an email on Saturday??

Maybe after second look weekend there will be a mass dumping of acceptances, thus opening up spots for the rest of us.

AHHH Im so nervous!! I haven't heard anything yet!! Did you get you get a letter or an email on Saturday??

Got a regular letter in the mail. Maybe you haven't heard because you were accepted. They send those certified, so it might have been put to Monday's mail service.

Good luck & let us know.

I do live a couple hours south of Albuquerque so that might have something to do with it. Thanks for responding so quickly :) ill keep ya posted.

I do live a couple hours south of Albuquerque so that might have something to do with it. Thanks for responding so quickly :) ill keep ya posted.

So Glen....
You that T or C guy?

hummm...

If so, then you are accepted. Dont hold my feet to the fire, but I have my sources.

Congrats!

Hey if anybody else is waitlisted out there or knows deadline dates for acceptance for other schools let me know.

Hey if anybody else is waitlisted out there or knows deadline dates for acceptance for other schools let me know.

So if you get accepted to another place other than UNM are you gonna take it? I might. Just wondering.

So Glen....
You that T or C guy?

hummm...

If so, then you are accepted. Dont hold my feet to the fire, but I have my sources.

Congrats!

Yes I am that TorC guy haha :D !! Well I got my acceptance letter today so you were right!! Do I know you??? Or do we share an acquaintance?? Anyhoo I hope that wait list moves a ways.. you still have a shot.