New Mexico vs Minnesota vs Iowa vs Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patient_doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear forum members
These four are my top rank. I do not need a research-heavy program, I'm looking for a family-friendly place, and I don't have geographical attachments. My two main criteria are 1) that after graduation I can find a good job/good fellowship, and 2) happy and friendly people.
The problem is that all four places told me pretty much the same: "our graduates have no problem finding excellent jobs and fellowships" and "our residents are happy and our attendings are friendly".
If anyone can weigh in, I would very much appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do end up in ABQ, try to live in NE heights, NW or Rio Rancho. Stay away from the south valley and close to the Air Force base (not safe areas).

[qu"GaseousClay, post: 14835193, member: 576904"]what is the point of posting this without any reasoning?[/quote]

If the OP wants to know he or she can ask.

Out of the programs listed, I interviewed at Albany. I was really impressed with the program and the residents seemed very happy. A common theme was that Albany was "family friendly" whatever that means. IIRC they worked around 55hrs a week and I don't remember any deficiencies in their training. I ranked Albany fairly high on my list even though it was on the East coast.

Some of my med school colleagues went to Iowa, but I can't comment on any specifics other than I've heard it's a solid program. I believe Jensen still holds an adjunct position there so maybe you'd get to have some live ranger training on how to deal with board beach pill boxes. ;)

Thank you guys for your responses. I share kazuma's impression that Albany seems to provide good training, and residents are happy and not overworked. But I also left with positive feelings from the other programs too. Do you guys think that these four programs are about equal in terms of finding jobs or fellowships after graduation?

[qu"GaseousClay, post: 14835193, member: 576904"]what is the point of posting this without any reasoning?

If the OP wants to know he or she can ask.[/quote]
Obviously, the OP is going to need more than that. Why would he/she ever listen to your advice if it doesn't have any logic behind it? Just because you're an attending?

Obviously, the OP is going to need more than that. Why would he/she ever listen to your advice if it doesn't have any logic behind it? Just because you're an attending?[/quote]
yup. just because I AM A BIG BAD ATTENDING!!!

Just to clarify, I received additional details from chocomorsel via PM. I thank all posters, this is a big decision moment for those of us ranking programs, and any help is appreciated.
Further, if anyone else wants to chime in, I want to hear your opinions as to whether any of these programs gives you a better chance at good fellowships/jobs.