Kceb83

Non-Trad Dad
Apr 3, 2010
Indiana
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi everyone,
I'm been a long time lurker of SDN and wanted to finally register and introduce myself to the community. I'll try to keep it short as my story is way to long for one post :) I'm a 26 year old non-trad (married with an awesome little 18 month old son) who has been out working in the real world for 5 years now doing a variety of jobs. I have an undergrad degree in business administration and completed all of my prereqs about 5 years ago as a premed (did ok on my MCATs (31) and solid GPA~3.66 at Wash U, but decided at the time I wasn't ready to pursue medicine). I contemplated returning to grad school ever since graduating and have finally decided to take the plunge. I finally decided on dentistry for a host of reasons over medicine and have quit my job (thanks to my wonderful wife and quite a bit of savings the past 5 years) to jump in full force. I'm currently on a 3 month study track to take the DATs the first of July and will be doing chemistry research/taking summer courses to pick up some relevant LOR/coursework for school. I'm hoping to get in this cycle so looks like my nose will be in the books for the next 3 months. I'll be in school the entire next year trying to pick up an additional degree in biochemistry in case I do not get in this cycle. Anyways I just wanted to say hi and give a quick introduction. Happy Easter and feel free to PM me anytime!

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
as far as Advice goes, you seem to REALLY been lurking around SDN for a while lol. Nothing I can tell you right now that you don't already know.

Your plan is perfect, your going back to school for LORs, your GPA is solid, your had a nice MCAT number and now dentistry. Theyr REALLY going to like you cause it shows how mature you've become to learn about this field (dentistry). Its very clear that ur not pursuing dentistry because you didn't into med school, your just genuinely interested in dentistry.

Kceb83

Non-Trad Dad
Apr 3, 2010
Indiana
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the kind response. Now I'm just hoping I can do as well on my DATs. Today is my last day of work so the studying begins tomorrow. I'm VERY rusty at the moment so I'm hoping it is like riding a bike. Fortunately my wife is very supportive so I'm just going to live at the library for the next 3 months and reappear to society after the DATs.

Simple Jack

7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2010
Status
Dentist
... so I'm just going to live at the library for the next 3 months and reappear to society after the DATs.
haha, that's awesome man! you're going to be in the wilderness, like 40 days/40 nights style, then you'll descend the mountain and open up a can on the DAT!:thumbup: good luck and keep posting

Kceb83

Non-Trad Dad
Apr 3, 2010
Indiana
Status
Pre-Dental
Yeah...I'm going to look like Ron Burgundy after he lost his job once I finally emerge. I figure my beard will be huge. "MILK WAS A BAD CHOICE!"

ArmyPilot

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey Non-Trad Dad,

Congrats on your decision. You and I are in the exact same boat (I am a non-trad with similar GPA and time out of school - minus the kid) - I however cant apply to D-school for another two years due to my contract with the military (crapola!). I suggest getting Achiever and that other DAT example program as to get geared for the exact questions you will see (and not waste time studying in the wrong areas). Good luck!

Kceb83

Non-Trad Dad
Apr 3, 2010
Indiana
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks Army Pilot! I'm actually enrolled in the Kaplan online course because that seemed to work well for me with the MCATs before. Reading your profile name I can't help but wonder if you fly in the military. I'm a pilot myself (civilian but always wanted to fly fighters....my wife shot that down...) so I was just curious :) Glad to see other non trads around. I have a feeling your next two years will fly by. The cool thing is that you have a nice cushion of time to smash you DATs ;)

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2009
Status
Dentist
Just out of curiosity, what brought you into Dentistry? Those are some pretty good stats by the way. I'm sure you can do anything you want. Feel free to PM if I kinda put you on the spot - that's not my intention. Good luck with the DAT! You'll do great.

ArmyPilot

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
So you like the Kaplan stuff? Im going to have to take that route once I can get stabilized in one area (I have been overseas my whole career - 3 years Wester/Eastern European theatres, currently in Iraq, and looking at Korea or Afghanistan as my next stop). Yes I do fly - specifically UH-60 Blackhawks (ever see the movie "Blackhawk Down"? I fly the one that gets shot down in the middle of the city. Not exactly the best reference to my bird, but its the most current movie out there with my aircraft). You can always fly later bud - if I could do it all over again with the knowledge I have now, I would have went straight up dentistry. Oh well...should make for an interesting interview should I get one. ;)

Kceb83

Non-Trad Dad
Apr 3, 2010
Indiana
Status
Pre-Dental
Yeah the Kaplan stuff is pretty good. There are a ton of practice tests and practice questions and the reading material gives a fairly good overview. I'm also taking anatomy and physiology this summer to help out as well (never took those in undergrad). Its awesome that you fly. I've only got about 250 hours logged (instrument and private, fixed wing) but absolutely love it. I would love to try rotary at some point in the future, but money is tight haha. I definitely plan on getting a small plane one day (once I get all my kids my wife wants to have through college lol). I think you will definitely leave a lasting impression when you interview :) Stay safe out there and thanks for your service!

Last edited:

Kceb83

Non-Trad Dad
Apr 3, 2010
Indiana
Status
Pre-Dental
Just out of curiosity, what brought you into Dentistry? Those are some pretty good stats by the way. I'm sure you can do anything you want. Feel free to PM if I kinda put you on the spot - that's not my intention. Good luck with the DAT! You'll do great.
I'd be glad to answer that (it is basically what my entire personal statement is about. I should just send that to you :)) Essentially after working a few different jobs the past 5 years (I was a firefighter, auditor, plant supervisor, you name it) I realized something was still missing, and I wanted to work in healthcare to help better people's lives. So I did a bunch of research and came across dentistry and began to shadow. I knew a lot about medicine already because my dad is a physician, and I have shadowed a ton of physicians in my life (plus I was premed all through college). Dentistry just gave me a much better feeling than medicine. All the doctors I spent time with seemed burned out by medicine and all the red tape they have to go through these days (and it is only getting worse). Also, being a family guy I definitely felt dentistry would give me a lot more time with my family (love time with my little boy :) ) over medicine and again, I found it more interesting due to working with your hands, running your own business, longer patient interaction, etc... Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Oh and for all the premed/med students out there, medicine is an AMAZING career so please don't think I'm trying to start another medicine vs. dentistry war on the forums. My dad still says he would do it all over again in a heartbeat even with all the BS doctors have to put up with these days.

Last edited:

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2009
Status
Dentist
I'd be glad to answer that (it is basically what my entire personal statement is about. I should just send that to you :)) Essentially after working a few different jobs the past 5 years (I was a firefighter, auditor, plant supervisor, you name it) I realized something was still missing, and I wanted to work in healthcare to help better people's lives. So I did a bunch of research and came across dentistry and began to shadow. I knew a lot about medicine already because my dad is a physician, and I have shadowed a ton of physicians in my life (plus I was premed all through college). Dentistry just gave me a much better feeling than medicine. All the doctors I spent time with seemed burned out by medicine and all the red tape they have to go through these days (and it is only getting worse). Also, being a family guy I definitely felt dentistry would give me a lot more time with my family (love time with my little boy :) ) over medicine and again, I found it more interesting due to working with your hands, running your own business, longer patient interaction, etc... Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Oh and for all the premed/med students out there, medicine is an AMAZING career so please don't think I'm trying to start another medicine vs. dentistry war on the forums. My dad still says he would do it all over again in a heartbeat even with all the BS doctors have to put up with these days.
That's AWESOME!!! Nice perspective. *In Bold* My thoughts exactly.

Well, it looks like you're set...Keep pushing! What are you using to prep for the DAT?

May 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm 30 yrs old with a 2 and 3 yr old. It's nice to see so many people that are in similar situations to mine taking the plunge.