New non trad premed student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preemiemama

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lurking for awhile and decided to join the gang here. It is so nice to know there are plenty of people here just like me and all of us with the same goal.

I'm 33, single mom and working on the premed but have quite a way to go with it. I'm taking classes this semester but only a total of 10 hours. Before I jumped straight into the science courses I went ahead last semester and took some science based classes just to get my feet wet and get a feel for it. I took Microbiolgy with lab, Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 with lab and did well. I ended up with a B in Micro and A's in the A&P.

I've been in the medical field for about 10 years as a medical assistant and had planned on starting premed earlier than now but my daughter decided to come early ( 26 weeks) so, I did take some time off to stay home with her during my marraige. She's 8 now and is just fine, she's healthy and happy.

I went back to college a year ago taking what I could and just getting a feel for things before I got into the chemistries, etc. Until then, it had been years since I stepped foot in a classroom.

I'm ok working fulltime and taking the credit hour load I have now. It isn't too bad but I do not know of anyone who is working and actually going to medschool.

I know what I want to do and I'm prepared to dedicate my life to being a physician. It's what I want. I am worried about how people survive financially while in med school though. Maybe that is putting the cart before the horse but I do think about that ALOT.

I had a long talk with my mom and stepdad and they said if I am not able to work while attending medschool I can sell my home and move in with them during that time. That is a big concern for me since it is just my daughter and myself, with only one income. How would I survive financially with car payment, mortgage, etc during med school. So, if I have to sell my home and live with them, I'd do it. I definately appreciate their offer.

I am at the University of Memphis now for the premed courses. I would love to be accepted to U.T. here for medschool because my family is here and I'd have plenty of people to help me with my daughter. My exhusband helps alot when he is able to but he works 2 hours away from here and commutes every day for his job.

I know it's too early to start thinking about what I will do provided I'm accepted to medschool and surviving financially, taking care of my daughter, etc. I just worry about that. Someone tell me it's realistic to think that far ahead. I have to come up with some gameplans!

UT isn't the only school I'm looking at but it's certainly my first choice. It is a good school. I would love to stay here if I could.

I thought I'd finally stop lurking and say hi and let you all know I'm here!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thinking ahead is the best thing you can do.
I am similar in situation to you. I just started my pre-reqs this semester at my local U. I have a BA and an MPA and a JD but I am going after what I really wanted in life. I am a single dad to my 4-year-old daughter. I am thinking WAY into the future as far as planning how I will get to med school and what I will do once I am there. It can be a logistical pain-in-the-@ss. Especially since I am not the type of parent who wants to let my child sit in daycare all day. I also value my time with her and feel it is MY responsibility to teach her and help her grow properly. She IS my life and med school needs to squeeze itself in. I am confident I can do that.

Right now I am taking physics I and I tell you it would have been easier doing this in undergrad. I took physics in high school and enjoyed it. I've also had math all the way up through calc. But it's been 15 years since I had a math class. I've forgotten the simplest things it seems. Oh well, re-learn it.

You can do it and I can do it. Keep the faith. My plan is to matriculate in 2008. I will be 38. We shall see...

I'll be on these forums all the way up until then and through med school as well I'm sure. So keep an eye on me and if you catch me sloughing off, smack me in the back of the head...

;)

while this is a crappy way to go about it this is my thoughts. Med school will be a full time job. with a course load of commonly 30 hours per semester that is 3 times more than you are taking now. i know classes are sceduled but talking to many students the classes often go over and labs often go over. you might not need to go so drastic as moving in with your parents, however that would make finances easy, you could either sell your house and major things and move into an apartment as most financial aid packages cover some living, or you could just get more loans. while this may seem like a bad idea, depending on what specialty you were looking to go in you could be making $150,000-$250,000+ after residency and a couple years. If you still lived in your apartment and drove the same car and all the extra money when to school loans you could pay them off in a couple years. just my $.02

FrkyBgStok said:
while this is a crappy way to go about it this is my thoughts. Med school will be a full time job. with a course load of commonly 30 hours per semester that is 3 times more than you are taking now. i know classes are sceduled but talking to many students the classes often go over and labs often go over. you might not need to go so drastic as moving in with your parents, however that would make finances easy, you could either sell your house and major things and move into an apartment as most financial aid packages cover some living, or you could just get more loans. while this may seem like a bad idea, depending on what specialty you were looking to go in you could be making $150,000-$250,000+ after residency and a couple years. If you still lived in your apartment and drove the same car and all the extra money when to school loans you could pay them off in a couple years. just my $.02

I can't agree more with the SDNer above. Plan on downsizing your lifestyle for at least 7 years. It's a tough compromise if you're a bit older and single, and even tougher when you have family.

Just depends on what you want to do.

Welcome!

It's so awesome your parents are willing to help you out. You should be very grateful. I grew up in situation similar to what your daughter might experience should you decide to move in with your parents. Although my mom was not in med school, she was working full-time and we lived with my grandparents. I spent every day after school hanging out with my grandpa. It was great.

welcome to the board, i'm a newbie myself. :)

congratulations on following your dream. i really admire folks that balance premed/med classes, family, marriage, etc. it seems like non-trads have to make a lot more sacrifices to follow our dreams, even if it means taking on options people our age wouldn't normally do (like moving back in with the parents).

i think that's extremely helpful and thoughtful of your parents to offer their assistance and open their home up for the time being while you finish your classes. i would definitely consider that option, since it won't be for a long time. once you do get to med school, you will be able to take out tons of loans, perhaps receive assisted housing, etc?

good luck to you.

welcome. you're not crazy to be thinking so far ahead, it is smart. you know what you are getting yourself in to. if you are dedicated, you will make it work, whether you decide to move in with your parents, or make it work at home.

only one thought to share - have you thought about working less, and taking on a fuller class schedule? just another option.

good luck!!