new nontrad premed student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priorcorpsman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been lurking these forms for a while now and I've really enjoyed reading everyone's advice and it's really helped me get an overall picture of what I need to do to increase my chances for med school. However, I'd still like to get everyone's opinion on my current status to see if I'm on the right track or if I need to make some changes before I get too far along.

I graduated with a BS in Computer Science and I've been working as a Software Developer for about 5-6 years now. I began at a community college with a 3.51 GPA. I later transferred to a 4 year university and graduated with a disappointing 2.83 GPA. If I calculated everything correctly, my total undergraduate GPA is about 3.23.

Because of my Computer Science major, I haven't taken any natural science classes so I do have a chance to bring it up. If I manage to get all As in my pre-requisites, I should be able to get my GPA up to 3.39. It's still a little disappointing based on what I've read here so far, but it's a start.

I realize that allopathic schools average class re-takes and it seems that if I'm not satisfied with a 3.39, it seems that re-taking some of my past Cs for an A to get a B average might be an option. Still, many of my Cs at the four year university are Computer Science courses and it feels a little silly having to go through those classes again to increase my chances for med school. Retaking my math classes are out of the question since I made decent grades in all of them. (A - Pre-calculus, A - Calculus I, A - Calculus II, B - Linear Algebra). My only physics is a non-engineering physics with a B and an engineering physics with a C (non-engineering didn't transfer to 4 year school).

Aside for my GPA, the only clinical experience I had was my old job as a Hospital Corpsman when I was in the Navy. I actually worked at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda for about 4 years. If I knew then what I know now, I'd be in much better shape because of all the shadowing I could have done there, but that was a missed opportunity and I'm aware that I need to get some shadowing done somehow. However, I'm curious if my four years as a hospital corpsman is going to be enough even though it's old (about 9 years ago) or do I need to get more recent clinical experience in addition to volunteer work.

Right now, I'm currently enrolled first chemistry class at a local CC before I transfer to the 4 year school to take the organic chems. Luckily, my chem professor also teaches at the 4 year school so I may target him for a LOR. Also, I looked into Post-Baccs, but my schedule prohibited me from those since they're full time commitments. If anyone thinks that's the way I should go, then I'm willing give it more consideration.

Members don't see this ad.

I see a lot of people wanting to apply MD and talk about retaking old classes to "average" the grade. If the class is science related, go for it, if not there is absolutly no reason to retake. The average is just based on more credits. For instance; if you get a C in a 3 hour class and retake with an A your average will be a B or 3.0. But it doesn't matter what class you take, same one or not, they are just averaging your total credit hours, not individual classes. So an A in a totally different class is worth the same as retaking the identical class. Point is, only retake if it is a class that medical schools would be interested in. DO GPA calculations are different, they do grade replacement.

First, I would suggest start some clinical volunteering in a hospital in the ER or something. You will def need that. Dont wait until your grades are better. Do it now...

To raise the GPA. First, make all As with a FEW B+. I would look into maybe completing another BA/BS in a relatively easy major to boost the GPA while you take the sciences you need. You can get enough credit to get that 3.23 over a 3.5.

Do well on MCAT 32+.

There's my plan for you. If all is going well, I would work some shadowing in too. So many folks do not do the "pure effort" things like volunteering, shadowing, research, etc. It is a process....all of it....those things are the easiest to accomplish!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ex-corpsman here as well. The GPA is definately the hardest thing to correct. Like you said, your GPA will not get much of a boost so retaking some classes could help some, but not much unless you apply to DO schools which in my opinion are your best bet. Getting another BA/BS like J DUB suggested is a good idea too since it can improve your GPA more than with post-bac classes. You don't have to go back full time, but you should take more than one class at a time so you can prove you can handle a decent work load.

I think you should do current volunteering and shadowing since your prior corpsman duty was a while ago, and I know if I were on an ADCOM, I would think "what have you done lately?". The prior corpsman experience will be of a help once you get in and start working in the hospital.

The MCAT and pre-req classes will be the biggest thing you have control over. Take the time to study well to get the highest score and grades you can! When you apply, do it early, and often to both MD and DO.

If you ever need anything, let me know. I will do anything I can to help out a fellow corpsman! Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's nice to know that I'm at least headed in the right direction.

just one: Thanks for the pointer, I didn't realize that the average was based on credit hours rather than the actual class, but it makes sense now that I think about it.

J Dub: It almost sounds like making a decision on DO vs MD now can really influence how many classes that I will have to take since a total grade replacement versus grade averaging sounds like it's less classes overall. Of course, I also don't mind grabbing a second BA/BS, like Biochemistry, but while I'm confident that I can achieve all As in the pre-requisites, the upper level chemistry and biology classes are going to be a little tougher. These concrete goals of getting As in X amount of classes or finding Y LORs is the where I have no problems. The hardest part for me is going to be these "pure effort" things that you mentioned. I have no idea where I'm going to find a physician to shadow aside from pestering doctors at clinics.

Phrygian: So if I understood you correctly, my prior, albeit old, experience is okay, but it's contingent on if I find newer volunteering or shadowing experience? That's understandable and I'd probably ask myself the same question. Also, it's nice to see another corpsman here. I was wondering how many of us ex-corpsman actually made it to med school. Here's a belated congratulations on your acceptance!

You are correct, I would get some current medical associations under your belt. I think there are a decent amount of ex-corpsmen on here. It seems at least 1 a month show up! I will be doing an ER rotation in a few months with an attending ex-corpsman. Should be a good rotation. PM me if you ever need anything!