New ONLINE medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honorstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this new medical school that offers the first 2 years of med school online.
Tuition is really cheap too.
just wanted to know what you all think.
the website is : http://www.medicalschoolonline.com
what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

dude if you are that desperate to go to med school then you dont need to be prescribing drugs to anyone ever

I wouldn't. There's no mention of what the school will do for you for third and fourth year. Chances are NO med school in the US will take your transfer credits and you'd probably have to retake all of the first and second year. Big deal? Well, you'll be out $2,000 too.

Stay away from these online scams.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
honor whatever:
Learn to read! that is not a medical school. they are just offering a post- bacc or a master's to help you improve your actual medical application.
keep posting

------------------
siul

i wrote lots on this on one of the other of 5 (?) practically identical posts. (Note to original poster: you really only need to post in ONE forum; most folks click on the "read today's active topics" and see it anyways. Cross posting is bad manners.) I kinda went off because I found it intriguing in several negative ways... :O

Sounds bogus to me. No mention of anything that may legitimize their claims.

Stay away!

I would be VERY careful about this website. It has "Scam" written all over it. I don't doubt that some day a reputable medical school may offer some online courses (probably more for continuing medical education than actual medical training) but they would do an excellent job of documenting their accreditation.

The "American College of Medicine and Science" is probably a made up name at best, and you are falling for their clever scam. Take a few computer programmers, create a few "online" courses with slides and lectures and "tests" and claim that you are offering medical school. They sucker you in for an application fee and "tuition" and probably charge over-inflated rates at their "bookstore." At best, this is just an expensive prep course which will not transfer to any real medical program. At worst, you were had and lost a few thousand dollars.

Remember- Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is!

too good to be true?????....I can't see how anyone can learn anatomy without disecting a cadaver and doing autopsies ect

Have you tried applying to this thing? You have to send an email to some address @aol.com! What kind of school allows you to EMAIL your application to them, with no request for a verification of a transcript? It's a scam for sure!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Originally posted by MikeS 78:
too good to be true?????....I can't see how anyone can learn anatomy without disecting a cadaver and doing autopsies ect

UCSF will be foregoing cadavers next year as well as a couple of other schools (I think Duke).

Are they using computers? Like The Human Dissector? Loyola Univ. uses it too, but as a supplement to cadaver dissection.

Imtiaz

I think the idea is that they'll be mainly using prosections, but I don't know the details. It's part of a huge curriculum overhaul that they're doing to integrate subjects more, and it seems to be a bit similar to Harvard's New Pathway (where, incidentally, I think Anatomy lab is also de-emphasized). Overall the curric. changes seem very cool, but I'm also curious about how the Anatomy experience will be impacted. Right now it's a huge part of our 1st year.

im sorry but i learn more off the cadaver that I ever learn out of a book.......and I really fear the idea that the 1st time people will cut into a human body is on the operating table....some times you can only think so hard about something before you have to just see it first hand.....

I also would fear any school that de-emphasizes anatomy simply on the grounds that it is a sign that they hope to railroad students into primary care....unless that is what you want

Members don't see this ad :)
My school has an overwhelming emphasis on primary care. Anatomy starts the FIRST DAY. I loved the cadaver work, and there's absolutely no motion in our school to do away with them. I don't understand the notion of why cadavers = specialization... or how a curriculum can equate the learning amassed by doing it oneself to computers and prosections. I mean, these latter two were great supplements to our course, but I feel I have a much better grip on it from my time in the lab.

well to be honest the only people that will ever have to be able to locate some of these deep structures during their career, are people who routenely do procedures......ie surgeons, invasive cardiologists etc......where as a GP can get away with simply understanding pain and reflex pathways, which can be learned relatively easily from a book.......this is my attempt to reason out why in gods name the mother subject of all of medicine is being worked out of numerour curriculums.....I have noticed an association with that and a schools emphasis on primary care...all the school that are doing it have that emphasis...UCSF and Harvard both put quite a few people into GP residencies...look at the match

I have to agree that I'm glad to be learning from anatomy lab, though it's also true that often the sample prosections we see are quite a lot prettier than my own work! If you're really interested in the impact of this change, I'll certainly let you know how it goes here next year. I think a lot of us are wondering about it w/some concern. That said, I have to agree w/Djanaba that I see no correlation between cadaver stuy & specialization. Surgery, perhaps, though I have a little hunch that practice on a cadaver is not really a key element for learning surgical technique. For any other specialization, however, I see no connection. Radiology? Anaesthesia? Derm? None of these would seem to hinge too closely on whether you spent a few hours cutting up the abdomen in your first year of med school. In addition, I"m not sure that you can necessarily equate IM residencies w/ultimate primary care practice, since many people continue into more specialized fellowships eg cardiology after completing this residency. Thus, I think it's probably an overstatement to designate Harvard or UCSF as being excessively primary care oriented based on these figures. Not that there's anything wrong w/a primary care orientation, either.

Howdy,
Montana has a program where residents of the state donate the body to the WWAMI program, one of the benefits that we see is that undergrads have three classes which allow them to see and work with cadavers. The third course is extremities and back dissection, and we did the whole thing from the skin on down. The class is reqiured for several majors such as physical therapy, but not for 'premeds.' The class is limited to only four students per cadaver and there were twelve+ available. I am so glad that I have already seen the structures and understand the relationships (dermatones, brachial plexus, ect.) Plus we were required to know all the Orig, Inser, and Inner, which not only gives me a jump on first year but I am able to "see" into a body and understand whats going on. Also, while Netter and Clemente do a great job, each person is so different that it is hard to gain an appreciation for the deviations with out seeing them with your hands.

Anyway this is off the topic of the org post which is that this is a SPAM post!!!

------------------
BSD
______
Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day

I'll add my two cents...

Although I am not a physician (yet), I am a PA and I did do cadaver dissection at the SUNY@Stony Brook during PA school. I graduated and went straight into cardiothoracic surgery and I can honestly tell you that gross anatomy contributed very little to my learning process in surgery. It undoubtedly gave me an idea where "this" should be or "that" should be, but I definately could have learned that via computer technology or some other mode. Lets face it, nothing is more valuable in learning anatomy then seeing it first hand, LIVE in the OR. This can be accomplished as an MSII or III and more so progressivley in the post-graduate years. The gray/brown tissue you see in gross anatomy looks nothing like true tissue and therefore the identification process your learning won't be near as useful as you think it will be.

I am not saying that I think med schools should chuck cadaver dissection altogether, I guess I just don't want to jump on the bandwagon against it just because it has been the central dogma for so many years in medical education. Sometimes we have to step back and look at something critically and I think thats what some medical schools are doing regarding gross anatomy.

Chris

They dont state that they are a Medical school. They just offer Post Baccalaureate and Masters degrees !!!

1) it really scares me that people are honestly proposing that anatomy should be learned at the operating table, that is utterly preposterous and in reality unethical
2) while you may have felt that watching surgery (I hope to god you werent the primary surgeon on any chest cases) was the best way for you to learn anatomy, people have different learning styles and i dont think many people learn best by the kamakazi approach you suggest

I think that you can get an equal non-lab anatomy experience by learning from books.
Of course, though, medical students should all take anatomy LAB though with real cadavers.

absolutely not!!!
its not accredited to let you do anything but give you a useless masters degree accredited by no body of importance, that will allow you to do nothing.

NO medicals school will take their non accrediting program which has transferred no students.

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO, NO.

Try the online Law school instead its accredited and will allow you to practice law.

There will be a night/part-time accredted med school before there will EVER be an accredited online correspondence med school. And I honestly don't see the former happening in my day, much less the latter.

Many schools are not accredited, and are still legit.
It all depends on how much work you do. Do you really actually learn something?
That is the issue.

Originally posted by boopie:
absolutely not!!!
its not accredited to let you do anything but give you a useless masters degree accredited by no body of importance, that will allow you to do nothing.

NO medicals school will take their non accrediting program which has transferred no students.

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO, NO.

Try the online Law school instead its accredited and will allow you to practice law.

There will be a night/part-time accredted med school before there will EVER be an accredited online correspondence med school. And I honestly don't see the former happening in my day, much less the latter.

Originally posted by boopie:

Just as a point of fact, the ABA recgnizes NO on-line/distance law degrees at the present time. On-line law degrees are intended to enhance the prospects of professionals already practicing in other fields. And the ONLY State the permits graduates of on-line law schools to write the law boards and practice law is California...the state with the largest glut of lawyers already.

Back on the anatomy theme - most med schools in the UK no longer do dissection, but primarily prosection, plus models, plastinated prosections etc. I've only done this, so I can't really compare, but I'll let you know after my path SSM when I get a month or so of pure dissection as to whether I think I missed out on anything!

I got my medical degree totally online, and I'm an awesome doctor

Reactions: 1 users
NO! absolutely not. First of all you must know that not all online institutes are genuine many online institutes are providing fake online degrees to the students and students don't even know about it. They are known as diploma mills just research on it on Google and if you really have made your mind to get your degree online you should only get one from an accredited institute as only those degree are valuable and recognized. A friend of mine in Houston got one I believe last year as he buy a degree from an accredited college online and also got college credit for his McDonald's experience. You can visit to get career advice from there though.

Best of luck !
You're cool for bumping a 15 y/o thread.

Reactions: 7 users
You're cool for bumping a 15 y/o thread.

These necrobumped threads always really amuse me. Everyone talks like this:

Hi honorstudent! Great post! I think it would depend on XYZ if ABC happened.

Best,
kirbymiester

Reactions: 1 users
These necrobumped threads always really amuse me. Everyone talks like this:

Hi honorstudent! Great post! I think it would depend on XYZ if ABC happened.

Best,
kirbymiester
Haha yes people were a lot nicer back then and generally more positive. Now everyone is looking to vent their frustration in the form of a fight with strangers online.

Reactions: 4 users
Haha yes people were a lot nicer back then and generally more positive. Now everyone is looking to vent their frustration in the form of a fight with strangers online.

And residents get their kicks by telling med students how stupid they are. :laugh:

I disagree. Also your avatar is ugly.

(I actually like your avatar)

Last edited:

YOU'RE WRONG AND I HATE YOU

Reactions: 3 users
NO! absolutely not. First of all you must know that not all online institutes are genuine many online institutes are providing fake online degrees to the students and students don't even know about it. They are known as diploma mills just research on it on Google and if you really have made your mind to get your degree online you should only get one from an accredited institute as only those degree are valuable and recognized. A friend of mine in Houston got one I believe last year as he buy a degree from an accredited college online and also got college credit for his McDonald's experience. You can visit to get career advice from there though.

Best of luck !
Was it really necessary for you to bump up a thread from the year 2000?

Cmon guys...A post with a link to online degrees from a new user? It's obviously spam..

But the OP has been a member for 14 years... that's just about half my age.

Interestingly a good amount of my studying second year has been through online services. Pathoma, Sketchymicro, Firecracker, Kaplan, etc. And the rest is done via podcast.

I hope everyone realizes that this isn't actually legitimate... it's spam.

The guy has ~10 more threads virtually identical to this one.

I clicked the link, and never have I ever gone through so many URL redirections.
I'm guessing the med school online idea had some kinks to work out and didn't end up panning out.

I hope everyone realizes that this isn't actually legitimate... it's spam.

The guy has ~10 more threads virtually identical to this one.
Good grief 6 threads started by him all on the same topic. He'd be banned or 5 out of the 6 threads locked in less than and hour in today's SDN.