New Orthodontic Specialty Program_accepting application for 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BracesRock

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was just announced a New Orthodontic Specialty Program:
CTOR Academy, a private school in Hoboken, New Jersey, offering an Advanced Specialty Program in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics.

Programs offered:
1. Certificate in Orthodontics 3-year program

2. Certificate in Orthodontics plus MS in Bioengineering 4-year program

3. Certificate in Orthodontics plus PhD in Biomedical Engineering or Biomedical Sciences 5-year program

ctor.academy/orthodontic-specialty

Members don't see this ad.

My certificate was two years. A MS was three years. How things have changed.

I wonder how much this program will charge for tuition, I’m sure it will be a lot since their website doesn’t list their tuition fees. It says to email them to find out the fees.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how much this program will charge for tuition, I’m sure it will be a lot since their website doesn’t list their tuition fees. It says to email them to find out the fees.

Their mini courses run from $5,000-7,000, you could only imagine. I’d guess $70,000-80,000.

Their mini courses run from $5,000-7,000, you could only imagine. I’d guess $70,000-80,000.

Are they accredited by coda? Programs are either university based or hospital based. It doesn’t look good for ortho since it has become a business to open a new program and advertise to dental students. AAO needs to be more strict with these new programs.

This is great news. I was just thinking the other day that we don’t have enough ortho programs.....

Reactions: 3 users
Eh that's too expensive. I'll just stick with smiledirect.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s like shopping for a car at a Rolls Royce dealer. If you have to talk price, odds are you can’t afford it.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
C'mon SDNers. We need another ortho program. Severe shortage of orthodontists in under-served areas like Cali, Arizona, etc. etc. New private programs just trying to do their part to help .......... themselves to $$$$$$$$.

Reactions: 3 users
C'mon SDNers. We need another ortho program. Severe shortage of orthodontists in under-served areas like Cali, Arizona, etc. etc. New private programs just trying to do their part to help .......... themselves to $$$$$$$$.

Lol, especially in the tri state area where full time jobs are scarce. More doom and gloom for ortho.

I wonder if they’ll take 15+ residents a year like the new Georgia program. Meanwhile, the Mayo Clinic will do its part to control its “orthodontist footprint” and accept just 1 resident a year.

Big Hoss

They work with steven institute of technology which is an online school to give online degrees. That’s why they can only offer MS in bioengineering to make it look like a legitimate program. It feels like a private office asking you to see their patients, take online classes to get masters degree, and pay them tuition for a certificate, and call themselves Academy of orthodontics in New Jersey. Not good for ortho specialty!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don;t see anything on the ADA or AAO website about this program. Is it accredited?

I called and emailed, but no one response, I am really wondering whether it is a CODA accredited?

They work with steven institute of technology which is an online school to give online degrees. That’s why they can only offer MS in bioengineering to make it look like a legitimate program. It feels like a private office asking you to see their patients, take online classes to get masters degree, and pay them tuition for a certificate, and call themselves Academy of orthodontics in New Jersey. Not good for ortho specialty!

They'll walk out $300-500k in debt without much skills outside of putting some brackets on, working corporate for life. Programs are giving their students zero training in aligner therapy.

They'll walk out $300-500k in debt without much skills outside of putting some brackets on, working corporate for life. Programs are giving their students zero training in aligner therapy.

Is it still worth it if you come out with no debt and want to open your own office?

It is not CODA accredited. But It is pending. For dentist graduated from outside of US they have at least 4 year program, tuition fee ~70k that means ~300K. Spending 4 years with 300K, Ohh my God..

It is not CODA accredited. But It is pending. For dentist graduated from outside of US they have at least 4 year program, tuition fee ~70k that means ~300K. Spending 4 years with 300K, Ohh my God..

I bet they'll still get applicants even at that cost.

So who else is willing to bet that accreditation status will be "pending" indefinitely.
Lol paying 70K a year to work in somebody's private practice.

I know new ortho grads where I practice being offered 600-700 daily rate with 500K+ in loans. So sad..

Corp offices pay more than that. Twice that.
Oh yes I know. But those jobs are even tough to find in my state. The openings are in the slowest offices/poorly located ones. Ortho still a great gig in my opinion. Such a long lifespan in your professional career due to the amount of actual physical work. Mentally, it is straining I am sure.

Pediatrics like me maybe got 15-20 years of heavy duty in them IMHO. But boy did I envy my ortho buddy watching Netflix movies all day while getting 4 starts..

Only in dentistry do people get duped into paying to work for someone else.

Has anyone applied to the program?

Access to Care.

Stevens is a real engineering school with a campus in Hoboken that is pretty competitive to get into and ranked in the top #100 schools nationally. Maybe it isn't Princeton, but Stevens is a good undergraduate college