New PATP section in WREB exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txdentist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All WREB takers ..

As you all know by now, the 2008 WREB exam has a new section PATP (patient assessment and treatment planning) that they are testing candidates on ..

Since this would be a first for many, all those taking the first round of examinations in March 2008, please post your experiences here on the new PATP section so we know what to expect ..

Thanks and good luck for WREB 2008 ..

Members don't see this ad.

first of all congratulation,second can you tell me what kind of material and instrument we should prepare ourself,all of them or the school will provide some material,I'm not talking about disposables

first of all congratulation,second can you tell me what kind of material and instrument we should prepare ourself,all of them or the school will provide some material,I'm not talking about disposables

You will receive a package from Wreb so you can call to schedule the CSW test and info about the school were you will take the exam, whether they will or won't provide the "equipment" and everything else for the clinical/endo portions....

If the chief complaint is pain for the pat 3 months on #3, and the radiograph shows decay in into the pulp, I would address that tooth first (probably a pulpotomy then refer to endo for RCT). After that, quadrant dentistry.

Yes, you go by quadrant, regardless of whether the quadrant has extractions, fillings, pulpotomies and SSCs or sealants. The order that you do it during the appointment has a methodology to it, but the WREB isn't asking for you to order the treatments at each visit.

Are we suppose to treat endo molars or refer???? What about re-treats????
When you wrote "the WREB isn't asking for you to order the treatments at each visit" what is that supposed to mean???? It seems like we don't have to describe tx appointment per appointment....how should we do it?????

Please, the ones who took PATP give a help! How many cases????

Thanks a lot!!!! I'm a nerve wreck!!!!!:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we suppose to treat endo molars or refer???? What about re-treats????
When you wrote "the WREB isn't asking for you to order the treatments at each visit" what is that supposed to mean???? It seems like we don't have to describe tx appointment per appointment....how should we do it?????

Please, the ones who took PATP give a help! How many cases????

The PATP is one case.

I don't know about when to refer and re-treatments. For purposes of the exam it probably doesn't matter.

It seems like they want a treatment plan in order, however they don't care about the order within each individual appointment unless it would affect the treatment plan (if a visit has 3 operatives that need to be done, the order in which you do them probably doesn't matter). That's speculation on my part, since I haven't taken it yet, and all I have to base it on are the examples in the WREB guide.

The PATP is one case.

I don't know about when to refer and re-treatments. For purposes of the exam it probably doesn't matter.

It seems like they want a treatment plan in order, however they don't care about the order within each individual appointment unless it would affect the treatment plan (if a visit has 3 operatives that need to be done, the order in which you do them probably doesn't matter). That's speculation on my part, since I haven't taken it yet, and all I have to base it on are the examples in the WREB guide.
Is there anyone taking WREB in Arizona this June,to give me some hints where can I find patient?is there any agency for that?or is there any one one who wants to share patient?Thanks

I would refer endo retreats and difficult teeth...eg, dilacerated roots, calcifications, suspicious teeth, etc.
But like Gavin said, I don't think it really matters

The PATP is one case.

Thanks for the help!!!!! Wish me luck!

I would refer endo retreats and difficult teeth...eg, dilacerated roots, calcifications, suspicious teeth, etc.
But like Gavin said, I don't think it really matters

That sounds about right.....I think it would go the same with EXTs of thirds....refer depending on the type of impaction.....
Thanks!

I had the peds case!!!!!!!!!! Great! So easy.....but my friends got much harder cases.....be prepared everybody......
I pretty much just tried to follow the tx. plan examples from the candidate guide....even tough they did not look much like the tx. plan proposed in the book that they recommend to study....I did study from the book, but I kept it very summarized like the ones in the candidade guide.
Good luck everyone....I'm just waiting on my results.......

i took the WREB last weekend and got a pedo case for the PATP section ..

it wasnt as complicated and the 6 yo child had a history of aortic stenosis and heart murmur .. addressed chief compliant with an extraction and space maintainer OHI and prophy .. did some caries control with quadrant dentistry and finally reinforced OHI as caries risk was high and maintenance / recall ..

other got more complicated adult cases so i guess the pedi cases are not that bad ..

overall you have ample time and take a deep breath and relax .. go over the history and x rays carefully and formulate a rx plan following the 4 steps (systemic and acute phase, caries control phase , definititive phase and maintenance) .. i read the textboo "treatment planing in dentistry" by Nesbitt which is more than enough .. some people said all they read was the examples in the candidate guide ..

thanks for everyones input on the PATP and keep em coming ... good luck to all ...

Did you premedicate this? Calcified aortic stenosis and heart murmur don't require premed, that's why I ask.

even though aortic stenosis and heart murmur come under the low risk for prophylaxis, i wanted to be on the safe side and prophylaxed the patient before extraction ..

few people i spoke to also prophylaxed even though it appears to not be necessary for low risk procedures .. i guess people wanted to be on the safe side by over treating rather than under treating ..

during the orientation one of the examiners mentioned that the PATP section is still being tweaked and told us not to worry too much about being spot on with the tx plan as there can be variations in tx plan as candidates come from various backgrounds and experience levels ..

I would like to appeal WREB result and i would like to know if somebody can help me out here with some Info
Thanx

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not appeal even if you only failed by 0.01%. Unless you plan to never take the wreb again. The first time I took the wreb, half of my paper works was lost (amalgam & perio). They conveniently told me to just retake the exam (at my own expense in another state) because my papers were lost in San Francisco, where I took the exam. Not in Arizona (how do they prove that? I have no idea). I received so many responses on this board told me not to ever appeal because it only costs me money and wastes my time. Historically, there are so few people ever win the wreb. Your best bet (and fastest way) to licensure is to retake the damn exam as soon as you could and then forever forget about the whole thing.
Wreb is like any other test case at dental school. Very subjective. They claim that all examiners are calibrated but my experience from hearing & seeing what happened to other people at my exam time prove that it's not so much calibrated. Just take a break and then re-take the exam. You will pass with better score because you have more experience this time around

Best of luck

Do not appeal even if you only failed by 0.01%. Unless you plan to never take the wreb again. The first time I took the wreb, half of my paper works was lost (amalgam & perio). They conveniently told me to just retake the exam (at my own expense in another state) because my papers were lost in San Francisco, where I took the exam. Not in Arizona (how do they prove that? I have no idea). I received so many responses on this board told me not to ever appeal because it only costs me money and wastes my time. Historically, there are so few people ever win the wreb. Your best bet (and fastest way) to licensure is to retake the damn exam as soon as you could and then forever forget about the whole thing.
Wreb is like any other test case at dental school. Very subjective. They claim that all examiners are calibrated but my experience from hearing & seeing what happened to other people at my exam time prove that it's not so much calibrated. Just take a break and then re-take the exam. You will pass with better score because you have more experience this time around

Best of luck

Thanks for sharing your experiences at your previous posts in the past. I requested my patients to sign 2 copies of everything (including my back up patients) just in case and screened for 2 extra back up of every procedure. At the end of each procedure, I walked away and let my experienced assistant critique my work including proximal contacts, shape and size. My patients told me that I got mostly 5 on the grading card.

overall you have ample time and take a deep breath and relax .. go over the history and x rays carefully and formulate a rx plan following the 4 steps (systemic and acute phase, caries control phase , definititive phase and maintenance) .. i read the textboo "treatment planing in dentistry" by Nesbitt which is more than enough .. some people said all they read was the examples in the candidate guide ..

thanks for everyones input on the PATP and keep em coming ... good luck to all ...

Lucky you. My case was so crazy with tons of medical conditions, perio, prostho and operatives. I turned mine in at the last minute with a full page of treatment planning. Worse thing was that they throw in a couple perio lesions and I could barely identify them on the xray. :smuggrin::smuggrin: I think my school prepared me well for the treatment planning part. I just used Case's treament planning guidelines while preparing for this exam.

even though aortic stenosis and heart murmur come under the low risk for prophylaxis, i wanted to be on the safe side and prophylaxed the patient before extraction ..

few people i spoke to also prophylaxed even though it appears to not be necessary for low risk procedures .. i guess people wanted to be on the safe side by over treating rather than under treating ..

Low risk procedures are one thing, but aortic stenosis and heart murmur are low-risk conditions. So low risk that the American Heart Association says they should not have prophylaxis.

I understand over treating in this regard, but I'm wondering if they would take off points for that. The bottom line is that stuff like this ticks me off, because I know what the guidelines are, but I'd still get a cardiology consult and if the peds cardiologist said they need prophylaxis, I'd give it to them.

I passed the WREB!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally I'm done!!!!!!!!! After so much studying as a foreign grad I did it!!!!!!!
Good luck to everyone taking it!
I can help with questions!:hardy::hardy::hardy:

Does anyone knows anybody who won an appeal before and what is the percentage in succeeding with the appeal ?

:confused: Hi I read in the forum to read 100x the manual and to watch a CD what CD is that? How can I get it? buy it? PLEASE HELP!

I- Pcte simokes 2or more?/day (tobacco cesation counseling)
Other habits( identifying the conseq and encouragingmchanges in behavior)
HBP (referral to physician)

II- Tto complain pcte
If not complaint (OHI, prophy,S/RP (depends rx and period...chart))
Tto of many activ caries or faulty rest (direct,indirect,onlay..)
Root canal therapy (If have rl apical and not complain)
Post and core if need
CROWNS,VENEERS,FPD OR RPD
EXT 1.16.17.32

Did you get "EK" as your patient who smokes 2 packs per day and complains of pain in #2? Did you write anything about his gum grafting as he had 9 mm CAL in almost all the posteriors?

Was your patient "EK" who smokes 2 packs per day & complains of pain in #2. Has 9 mm CAL in almost all facial surfaces of posterir teeth & 2 furcation on #2? Did you suggest any gm grafting for this patient?

that Perio pt sounds like the one i had...i pretty much did some extractions...i just referred to perio (didnt do any grafting)...i passed but i have no clue as to what i got on that section...

Everybody, please remember that the Candidate Agreement you signed prohibits you from discussing specific questions from the exam. I'd hate for anybody to have their scores revoked because they were being too specific on SDN.

I am sorry but you are making me more scared as I do find lots of questions being discussed on this forum, infact you can find lots of clues on Computer exams.

Dear friends,

Thanks for all the valuable suggestions. I got my result for Mesa, AZ & I passed :love: Oh God... what a relief, also being a foreign dentist.

Hello,congratulation anayyar,I remember you,I wanted to know when did you get your result?

Dear Shir........... I got my result on Thursday (06/19). Did you get yours? It is good that you remember me :)

Anyone taking WREB DUGGAN course in september please contact?

Do you add extraction of 3rds to the Tx plan even if they are asymptomatic? We learned in Oral Surgery to leave them alone unless they are causing the patient problems.

Hi Anyone take CSW recently?? any reviews about the exam how tough or how easy is it? ..any updates , please post..
thanks
tz

Any input about the PATP exam! How many cases are there? Please feedback is appreciated!

is the nesbit book the only good source is there any other book?

Last edited:
Any input about the PATP exam! How many cases are there? Please feedback is appreciated!

You only do one case for the exam. I don't know how many total cases they have in circulation. I thought it was very easy, but don't know what my score was on the section (but I passed the exam).

Hi ,
Bumping this thread o find out if there were any news during this weekend at USC wreb exam!

What is the major cause when there is WIDE BEVEL for full metal crown?

If pt presents with hear murmur and replaced hip joint does the pt need premedication for which condition?

Can someone please let me know!? Thanks!

Do you know how many people take the endo exam in that section and how many xray machines are there?

What about dark room how many are there?

Is there usually a line?

Can you take a cup of fixer and leave it in your table with you during the exam?

Question if you fail the PRHOSTO SECTION FROM CSW do you need to take the WHOLE CSW ?

You know... on the PATP. In addressing the chief complaint... the patient presents for cleaning and checkup. Also mentions that two teeth hurt. On the questionaire, under reason for visit/dental concern... cleaning/exam is circled. Then where is says are you in pain, pt indicates yes (did not indicate this in the "other: fill in the blank" section) and point to the two teeth (no indication of duration, intensity, etc).. the teeth look like they need endo, findings are percussion sensitivity. I figured, thanks to the ABSOLUTELY horrendous examples in the manual that the CC: is the cleaning. SO I put that at the top, followed by rct of the two teeth, the S/RP of certain areas.. Am I crazy here? i only ask, because I have seen MANY patients that have come in for a cleaning/checkup, reported pain as a secondary thing.. then only want the cleaning today.