New Pharm School for 2006?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superman22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard from sources that Chicago State University is schedule to offer a PharmD program in 2006. Does anyone have any further info?

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke to someone at Chicago State University. They have been approved to start a Pharm school but will take beteen 2-4 yrs to open.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think that with all these new schools opening up there would be a saturation of the job market for pharmacists? I mean I know there's a shortage now but what about 20-30 years from now? The new schools would bring the number of schools to what, 90 something? If chain pharmacies suddenly slow down in opening stores or if technology is used to a greater extent in the future, there would be a sudden surplus of graduates coming out. Other areas like institutional pharmacy, academica, etc. won't be able to absorb the extra number of pharmacists. In your opinions are all these schools necessary?

Oxycotin said:
Do you guys think that with all these new schools opening up there would be a saturation of the job market for pharmacists? I mean I know there's a shortage now but what about 20-30 years from now? The new schools would bring the number of schools to what, 90 something? If chain pharmacies suddenly slow down in opening stores or if technology is used to a greater extent in the future, there would be a sudden surplus of graduates coming out. Other areas like institutional pharmacy, academica, etc. won't be able to absorb the extra number of pharmacists. In your opinions are all these schools necessary?

I think the shortage is over or at least slowing down to a certain degree in the retail sector. With the advancement of new technology such as wireless communication and automated filling machines, I see 1 pharmacist being able to fill prescriptions from one place for three stores. Most of my friends are rushing to get extra degree or heading towards the clinical route. Retail will not go down, but the need for pharmacist in the retail setting and the role of the pharmacist will change. I personally spoke to a pharmacist recruiter and the person told me the day where a pharmacist can just hide behind a counter and count by fives all day long are soon to be over with. Machines will never replace a pharmacist, just change the role of the pharmacist and the amount needed.
The addition of extra schools will just make it more difficult to obtain the job that you really want. I see residency, high grades, and multiple degrees as must for movement beyond the basic dispensing role. The days where residency was an option and straight C= PharmD are passing by. Those who are qualified individuals and competetent pharmacist will always have jobs waiting for them, those who just coast by life will and barely pay attention in class, well good luck on finding a job.

Oxycotin said:

This is how I think about it: In engineering, you have machines that can work themselves (or if you're HONDA, Walk themeselves!) But engineers are still needed in high demand. Likewise is how I see the future of pharmacists and the automation in pill dispensing/expanding role of pharmacy techs.

As far as "too many schools"-- alot only except 40-60 students/year. Not all are 100-200 students/yr programs. Pharmacies are the most accessible health professionals and the health care system seems to be noticing, especially when it can relieve hospitals of duties such as EC dispensing, immunizations, and chronic disease screening/management (ie.-asthma or diabetes)

In short, i still don't see a change in the demand for pharmacists--at least here in California!

How about the increasing elderly population? I heard it was going to group tremendously. If so this should make the demand for pharmacists even in greater demand. Don't you think?

jalba22 said:
How about the increasing elderly population? I heard it was going to group tremendously. If so this should make the demand for pharmacists even in greater demand. Don't you think?

Absolutely. Especially here in Florida where we already have a large elderly population. When I start electives in my 3rd year, I'm going to take the course in geriatric pharmacy.