New pharmacy manager..suggestions!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZakMeister

RPh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I will be taking up a PIC position for an independent in CT soon. Got enough rph hours and experience to get that position. Just wondering if anyone of you rxm’s made a checklist for the daily or routine tasks that must be carried out...or Medicare compliance components.

What kind of management workshops did you guys do, if any one actually did?

Members don't see this ad.

Oregon has a pretty useful self-inspection form that PIC's fill out annually. It's the first thing I look at in a new pharmacy to get a feel where everything is and how they do things. Scheduling (including any needy folks you need to know about) is also important to get ironed out pretty quick. Worked at one place that did Medicare B but they provided zero training, and an audit was just around the corner. Did not enjoy being there.

Reactions: 1 user
My management training consisted of years of trial by fire, aka failures.

Things I would think about learning when you don't have corporate protection:

1) HR-specific laws (when you're in charge, you can't plea ignorance)
2) Regulatory compliance (BOP, DEA, State/Federal)
3) Third party reimbursements (watch out for Medicare and clawback provisions)

Daily operations are whatever you want them to be. Ultimately, entire profit and loss falls upon your leadership and risk management. It's very easy to get fined by an outside agency and lose all the profits you earned.