new pharmacy school at NC, High Point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

68quebec

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has noticed or not but new pharmacy school will open pretty soon in NC.

http://www.highpoint.edu/pharmacy/

It's about an hour away from Greensboro, NC..and I also heard the rumor about two more new pharmacy schools from Greensboro and Fayetteville (not 100% sure, so don't quote on me)

What do you think?

NC has 3 pharmacy schools so far.. and adding 1 (or possible 3) more pharmacy school(s) sound weird..

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if anyone has noticed or not but new pharmacy school will open pretty soon in NC.

http://www.highpoint.edu/pharmacy/

It's about an hour away from Greensboro, NC..and I also heard the rumor about two more new pharmacy schools from Greensboro and Fayetteville (not 100% sure, so don't quote on me)

What do you think?

NC has 3 pharmacy schools so far.. and adding 1 (or possible 3) more pharmacy school(s) sound weird..

this really pisses me off. I will be attending UNC Chapel Hill this fall, and 3 pharmacy schools in the state is already too much...Glad I'm going to the best one, but I'm not looking forward to a saturated market in NC...

Reactions: 1 user
Tn has 6. It's ridiculous but only UT is ranked and people think going to the couple of degree mills will land them a job. A PharmD is a PharmD right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think employers are going to have to start considering this when hiring new grads. All these new schools are going to ruin the profession for those who are actually in it for more than just money. How do people with <3.0 GPA and dreadful PCAT scores last in pharm school anyway?

Reactions: 1 users
Is there anyway to petition the opening of new schools?

This is the type of thing that makes me question pharmacy as a profession. Could you imagine if new medical schools started opening programs that didn't consider the mcat or had 3 year accelerated programs. Sometimes I wonder what direction this profession may be going in.

Only High Point is getting a pharmacy school. I don't think NC will be getting anymore pharm schools anytime soon.

UNC-Greensboro should have gotten a pharmacy school 4 years ago. Opening a pharmacy school in Greensboro had the support of Cone Health, and WFUBMC is right next door. Instead, Chapel Hill decided to open a branch campus in Asheville because they didn't want UNC-Greensboro competing with them.

It would have been nice to have another public pharmacy school in the state.

This is the type of thing that makes me question pharmacy as a profession. Could you imagine if new medical schools started opening programs that didn't consider the mcat or had 3 year accelerated programs. Sometimes I wonder what direction this profession may be going in.
Well, same thing is happening to other professions now, such as optometry and PA.

The limiting factor of the number of practicing physicians is the number of residency spots available, which are funded by Medicare. You can open up all the medical schools you want, but graduates who do not match generally will not be able to practice.

I think employers are going to have to start considering this when hiring new grads. All these new schools are going to ruin the profession for those who are actually in it for more than just money. How do people with <3.0 GPA and dreadful PCAT scores last in pharm school anyway?

For all the hub-hub about how stupid these diploma mill patrons are, NAPLEX pass rates are still ridiculously high for all schools. You're gasping for air at prestige school's 99.56% pass rate vs diploma mill's 87.45% pass rate.

The benefit of going to better schools is the culture of success and not of complacency and D = PharmD. You'll have a chance to meet smarter and probably more ambitious girlfriends/boyfriends/friends/roommates/peers/classmates etc. Plus better schools "tend" to be cheaper and more well known. You'll have less dead beats in yourself who worked hard to get into pharmacy school and will probably be working hard after pharmacy school to live a high quality life and career. I just don't like the atmosphere at some of these schools(won't name). They're losers. You're in pharmacy school and you're posting drunk pictures of you in a rachet thong on Instagram? Jebus.

Not sure if employers are really going to see a difference. CV$ is going to hire whoever will take the lowest salary, not the pharmacist with the most prestige. (in itself is an oxymoron..not to be offensive) This scenario is for the average pharmacist. If you're into research or other ambitious endeavors, then you need to pursue elite education to compete and achieve.

Apart from all that, the only time where you went for pharmacy school will really have say is during football season/alumni fundraising campaign season.

At least that's my opinion. Saturation sucks, but I don't think US News can save the market on this one. Quantity>quality. It's the educated American way.

Well, I've never strived to be average;)

Only High Point is getting a pharmacy school. I don't think NC will be getting anymore pharm schools anytime soon.

UNC-Greensboro should have gotten a pharmacy school 4 years ago. Opening a pharmacy school in Greensboro had the support of Cone Health, and WFUBMC is right next door. Instead, Chapel Hill decided to open a branch campus in Asheville because they didn't want UNC-Greensboro competing with them.

It would have been nice to have another public pharmacy school in the state.

I thought that it would have been odd to have had 2 schools within the same system with a pharmacy school. I know that it occurs in Texas, California, and Florida (to name a few), but I thought that it would have been overkill in North Carolina.

The building in Asheville looks very nice, especially compared to the other buildings on UNC-Asheville's campus. I'm a bit surprised that High Point will have a school as well, I'm sure that Wingate and Campbell will not be impressed with another private school competitor in the Great North state.

I thought that it would have been odd to have had 2 schools within the same system with a pharmacy school. I know that it occurs in Texas, California, and Florida (to name a few), but I thought that it would have been overkill in North Carolina.

The building in Asheville looks very nice, especially compared to the other buildings on UNC-Asheville's campus. I'm a bit surprised that High Point will have a school as well, I'm sure that Wingate and Campbell will not be impressed with another private school competitor in the Great North state.

Well, UNC-Greensboro was supposed to have their own pharmacy school with its own autonomy. The thing I dislike about all these private schools is the cost for tuition. I think Chapel Hill's SOP tuition is $85,000 for 4-years, whereas Wingate is roughly $30,000 a year, and that's instate!