New Pod School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxillofacialMN

Osteopathic Foot Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
poor pharmacy. There is way too much saturation in that field. If another podiatry school opens, we should all petition.

Problem they should have about this if they do add another podiatry school is: Why not add it somewhere in the Midwest?? So if they make a 10th podiatry school then that makes it 3 out of the 10 are in California.
Maybe that is just me, since I live in Michigan, but of all the states to add another podiatry school to I think California should be near the bottom of the list.
At least add a school in a state like Oklahoma, Texas, South Carolina.

Of the article, one thing that was confusing and shocking was: "David Hawkins, dean of the new Central Valley school, was also founding dean of California Northstate University College of Pharmacy in Sacramento. The Sacramento school graduated its first class of 82 students in 2012 but failed to achieve full professional accreditation before its first graduates moved into the workforce."
How does that actually happen? And people trying to pay through Podiatry school are mad at the $30K per year. This pharmacy school is $42K per year and it isn't even accredited yet.

So there would be three California podiatry schools within 400 miles of each other, each would be in a pretty large city (or near).

Members don't see this ad :)
Problem they should have about this if they do add another podiatry school is: Why not add it somewhere in the Midwest?? So if they make a 10th podiatry school then that makes it 3 out of the 10 are in California.
Maybe that is just me, since I live in Michigan, but of all the states to add another podiatry school to I think California should be near the bottom of the list.
At least add a school in a state like Oklahoma, Texas, South Carolina.

Of the article, one thing that was confusing and shocking was: "David Hawkins, dean of the new Central Valley school, was also founding dean of California Northstate University College of Pharmacy in Sacramento. The Sacramento school graduated its first class of 82 students in 2012 but failed to achieve full professional accreditation before its first graduates moved into the workforce."
How does that actually happen? And people trying to pay through Podiatry school are mad at the $30K per year. This pharmacy school is $42K per year and it isn't even accredited yet.

So there would be three California podiatry schools within 400 miles of each other, each would be in a pretty large city (or near).

I think a new school in CA is pretty logical, given the state's population and underserved/potential communities. But I do believe that Texas would be a much better choice. However, the chance is pretty slim for a new pod school to be created. The APMA/CPME is somewhat more responsible than the pharmcy associations. Plus it's probably not one of their main concerns at this point.

I think a new school in CA is pretty logical, given the state's population and underserved/potential communities. But I do believe that Texas would be a much better choice. However, the chance is pretty slim for a new pod school to be created. The APMA/CPME is somewhat more responsible than the pharmcy associations. Plus it's probably not one of their main concerns at this point.

Agreed!

From what was posted in the "Match 2013" thread (I'm assuming we've all read most if not all of it) it seems APMA/CPME have tightened up their bylaws to ensure another school doesn't open up since western opened their doors. With that said I wouldn't be too concerned that another school would open until they can fix the residency situation. Looks as if class 2014 is smaller than this years graduating class which will hopefully help to an extent. In the end more residency spots need to be opened to fill the needs of the current 9 schools before any thought is put into opening a 10th, and I'm hoping the powers that be now this!

I believe there is currently a moratorium on new pod schools. I wouldn't expect the 10th school to open up until the residency issue is resolved.

Why are they opening another pharma school, that field is so saturated now. Previosly many PharmD grads went into R&D for the likes of Abbott Pfizer and them. Now that many of those companies are outsourcing or cutting R&D everyone is clamoring for Pharmacist jobs.

As for Pod school, I would think it would be a while until they actually do it even if they pull this off. I would think somewhere like TX or midatlantic like VA or NC would probably be more deserving of a school.