New Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM Junkie

SDN Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been quite awhile since we've had a good thread on new ALLOPATHIC EM programs around here. Come on guys, help out us MS3's and below looking for the new and recently expanding programs in Emergency Medicine!

For me, I am specifically looking for info on Southern/Southeastern programs... (ie: UTMB-Galveston, Jackson in Miami, expansion at UT-Houston).

Thanks in advance!

-Scott, MS3

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure Quinn can tell you about his program in Tampa. It's only been around for 2 years, and he seems to love it! Steve

Howdy Scott!

We don't have a program here at UTMB. Our division director, Dr. Zachariah, is working hard to establish one. The next step is hiring a program director to get the program ready for accreditation but that hasn't happened yet (although they are recruiting one right now).

I think we're still several years off from an EM program here.

In terms of pure rumor, I've seen some rumblings of a desire for a program at Spahn in Corpus Christi but have heard nothing more concrete than that.

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Utah first class starts this year.

Has anyone heard anything about the new program at the University of Utah? Will the EM program be free-standing? Anything about the medical center there in Salt Lake?

I was recently told by a EM medical director that he is very apprehensive to hire a resident out of a new program (<5 yrs old) without an established rep. Any thoughts?

Chas99 said:
Has anyone heard anything about the new program at the University of Utah? Will the EM program be free-standing? Anything about the medical center there in Salt Lake?

I was recently told by a EM medical director that he is very apprehensive to hire a resident out of a new program (<5 yrs old) without an established rep. Any thoughts?

Search...search...SEARCH! Search for this, and you will find a lot of info on the topic.

As far as "a (sic) EM medical director" - where? Community or academic? EM is a small world - if the PD or chair have connections, that will trump some individual's apprehensions.

UTHSCSA is opening up two civilian spots in san antonio. It is 'new' in the sense that there have never been 'civilian' residents. However, the residency itself is phenomenal. They rotate at BAMC, Wilford Hall, and UH in San antonio

University of Illinois, Peoria just expanded their EM program from 8 to 10 residents per year this year.... really great pay too.

Remember... you can live anywhere for just 3 years so don't let the BFE location put you off.

Regarding UTHSCSA, how well do you think the "civilian" residents will integrate into the military program? Are these guaranteed civilian slots, or can they be filled by civ or military? Any info. you can provide would be great!

-Scott

USAF MD '05 said:
I'm sure Quinn can tell you about his program in Tampa. It's only been around for 2 years, and he seems to love it! Steve
My program is indeed new (we will have our third class in July), and is in the southeast... but basically at this point we are in the same runnings as all the other older programs... we have six spots and received ~700 apps for this past ERAS season. If you have specific questions about my prgoram at USF, post it here!

Q

stw2361 said:
Regarding UTHSCSA, how well do you think the "civilian" residents will integrate into the military program? Are these guaranteed civilian slots, or can they be filled by civ or military? Any info. you can provide would be great!

-Scott

Interesting...I wasn't aware of this. I am going to that program starting in June, and from what I've seen it is indeed a great program. If the civvies are in the same rotations as us, it will take some getting used to, b/c the other residents are 8 Army and 8 Air Force, and we come to work in combat boots. We all wear scrubs during the shifts though. (Gotta love working in PJ's)
We only rotate at university for a month or 2 each year, though, so that would be a little odd if you were actually in that program.
Some of the off service rotations are top notch. 3rd year we go to Manhattan and work with THE Goldfrank in the NYC Poison Control Center. Paid for apartment in Manhattan for a month sounds cool to me :thumbup: . We do EMS in Austin, which is apparently one of the premier EMS programs
around.
I will say this...when I rotated there last summer I got challenged more on one shift than my 3rd and 4th year combined. The senior residents actually knew more as residents than I ever thought I would know as an attending! They were seriously smart. The class averages in the top 5% on inservice exams, and has almost 100% pass rate on boards. They start prepping you for the oral part on day one as an intern. Stressful, but definately worth it in the long run. I feel that if this was a civvie residency, it would rank among the most popular nationwide. I can't wait to start!
Steve

USAF MD '05 said:
I will say this...when I rotated there last summer I got challenged more on one shift than my 3rd and 4th year combined. The senior residents actually knew more as residents than I ever thought I would know as an attending! They were seriously smart. The class averages in the top 5% on inservice exams, and has almost 100% pass rate on boards. They start prepping you for the oral part on day one as an intern. Stressful, but definately worth it in the long run. I feel that if this was a civvie residency, it would rank among the most popular nationwide. I can't wait to start!
Steve
My PD, Dr. Kelly O'Keefe, was PD at that program when they scored top in the nation. he runs a tight ship and from what I see in him, that program is pretty strong. We've had several of their alumni teach at our program too as locums (we have MacDill AFB down the street so they have some EPs working in their ED who come over every once in a while). They're all really good. You should hav esome good training there.

Q

USAF MD '05 said:
Interesting...I wasn't aware of this. I am going to that program starting in June, and from what I've seen it is indeed a great program. If the civvies are in the same rotations as us, it will take some getting used to, b/c the other residents are 8 Army and 8 Air Force, and we come to work in combat boots. We all wear scrubs during the shifts though. (Gotta love working in PJ's)
We only rotate at university for a month or 2 each year, though, so that would be a little odd if you were actually in that program.
Some of the off service rotations are top notch. 3rd year we go to Manhattan and work with THE Goldfrank in the NYC Poison Control Center. Paid for apartment in Manhattan for a month sounds cool to me :thumbup: . We do EMS in Austin, which is apparently one of the premier EMS programs
around.
Steve

I did multiple rotatations as a med student at BAMC. And WH has tons of med students rotate through there. (there are strong affiliations between BAMC/WH and UH). There was never a problem with integration. From what I understand, the 'civilians' will be no different from the military (with the exception of uniforms). The hospital is so used to civilians being around that its really not a big deal.

The residents at BAMC/WH are top notch. I almost considered joining the military to go to thier program, it is that phenomenal. The ED is great, the trauma at WH is outstanding and the medical pathology at UH is great.

USAF MD '05 said:
We do EMS in Austin, which is apparently one of the premier EMS programs around.

Yep, they are good. Austin/Travis County EMS is a third service department that is quite progressive. Their long standing STARFlight program is one of the few that are very active in rescue ops as well as medicine. They have a full-time medical director, Dr. Ed Racht, who is not only a very active and involved medical director but also a great guy. In addition to being great for the A/TC system, he's been wonderful for the state of Texas through his active involvement in more committees and task forces than I could imagine.

For those who read JEMS, he was the fuzzy guy on the cover standing beside his suburban response vehicle several years ago. That cover made it to many a budget meeting when many of his vehicle-less peers saw his toy and wanted one.

I went to medical school to be an EMS medical director and Ed is my model for a great one.

Take care,
Jeff

T-4 days (not that I'm counting)

USAF MD '05 said:
We do EMS in Austin, which is apparently one of the premier EMS programs around.

Yep, they are good. Austin/Travis County EMS is a third service department that is quite progressive. Their long standing STARFlight program is one of the few that are very active in rescue ops as well as medicine. They have a full-time medical director, Dr. Ed Racht, who is not only a very active and involved medical director but also a great guy. In addition to being great for the A/TC system, he's been wonderful for the state of Texas through his active involvement in more committees and task forces than I could imagine.

For those who read JEMS, he was the fuzzy guy on the cover standing beside his suburban response vehicle several years ago. That cover made it to many a budget meeting when some of his vehicle-less peers saw his toy and wanted one.

I went to medical school to be an EMS medical director and Ed is my model for a great one.

Take care,
Jeff

Oh yeah, San Antonio is also a very cool city.

T-4 days (not that I'm counting)

stw2361 said:
It has been quite awhile since we've had a good thread on new ALLOPATHIC EM programs around here. Come on guys, help out us MS3's and below looking for the new and recently expanding programs in Emergency Medicine!

For me, I am specifically looking for info on Southern/Southeastern programs... (ie: UTMB-Galveston, Jackson in Miami, expansion at UT-Houston).

Thanks in advance!

-Scott, MS3

If you're looking for new and expanding programs in the SE, I'll add UAB to the list. We graduate our first class this year and are approved to expand from 6 residents per class to 8. There may be some other pretty positive changes coming soon, but I'll wait to post them until they're confirmed.

I've been told that my program (Univ of IL-Chicago) is expanding to 13 spots (from 12). We got approved during this academic year. I here it will take effect this match year. We'll see if it is true once we get the rank list in, otherwise I guess it is for next year.

pinbor1 said:
I've been told that my program (Univ of IL-Chicago) is expanding to 13 spots (from 12). We got approved during this academic year. I here it will take effect this match year. We'll see if it is true once we get the rank list in, otherwise I guess it is for next year.

Mayo will be adding 2 additional spots in next years match (we will go from 6 to 8).

- H