new programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yikes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
sorry to post yet another thread today...

i'm thinking of applying to the new clinical health psych program at CU Denver. Since it's new they aren't yet accredited. that sort of scares me. anyone have any idea what the chances are of it not being accredited. would my degree then be worthless?

Members don't see this ad.

No worries about starting another thread.....as long as they aren't duplicate threads or completely off-topic, they are more than welcome.

As far as non-acreditted programs, my rule of thumb......don't look at them, unless you have a REALLY REALLY good reason. The path is challenging enough, and it is getting more and more competitive, so adding any more road blocks to the mix might get really dicey.

-t

the reason they aren't accredited is that the 2008-2009 year would be their first year. i think programs have to be running 4 years to apply. is that a good reason or is it just too risky? the reason i am considering it is because it is one of 2 places that has a prof doing EXACTLY what i'd like to do...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would ask this question of the department secretary. Of course he or she may simply reply that they expect to receive accreditation (and who knows if it will actually happen?). If it's true that a program needs to be in operation for four years before it can be evaluated, aren't you running awfully close to graduation and internship before the review? This seems very risky to me, especially when it comes to applying for internships. It's a judgment call, but I personally wouldn't do it. The anxiety would get to me.

I was born and raised in Denver and I can tell you that CU Denver is well-known for its medical school, so it may not be a bad fit and there are probably lots of opportunities. I agree with the priority, I put all of the unaccredited programs that I applied to at the bottom of my list, but still it may not be a bad option and probably won't be as selective as other clinical programs. Since they are new, funding may be an issue and it may be worth asking about! Good luck!