New PsyD grad. Licensure hours overseas working for the DoD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgclown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working as an LMFT for the DoD (civilian) and will graduate from my PsyD program (APA) in June 2017. I was offered a position overseas (as an LMFT) and will have a licensed Psychologist as a supervisor. Does anyone have insight on gaining hours towards licensure when I'm not actually in the USA and have no idea where I will reside after my overseas commitment (2+ years)? I plan on continuing to work as a federal employee afterwards.

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a credentialing service like National Register or APBB could help in this type of situation. They basically certify that you met a certain requirement of supervised hours and other requirements so that you don't have to meet every specific requirement of every state. At this point National Register helps with the licensure process for quite a fair number of states. Details here: https://www.nationalregister.org/member-benefits/licensure-mobility/

I am currently working as an LMFT for the DoD (civilian) and will graduate from my PsyD program (APA) in June 2017. I was offered a position overseas (as an LMFT) and will have a licensed Psychologist as a supervisor. Does anyone have insight on gaining hours towards licensure when I'm not actually in the USA and have no idea where I will reside after my overseas commitment (2+ years)? I plan on continuing to work as a federal employee afterwards.

If you are just working in a hospital or clinic that is not on a military base/post/instillation, it could certainly be an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are just working in a hospital or clinic that is not on a military base/post/instillation, it could certainly be an issue.

Overseas with the Navy as a civilian.

Also, I'd check with the state board to see if hours spent with patients while functioning as an LMFT/in a position specifically designed for an LMFT can even count toward licensure requirements as a psychologist, regardless of who your supervisor is.