new Qatar med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Poly,
Thanks.

Is there any U.S. citizen who is going Cornell Medical College in Qatar ?

There are no US citizens in the medical school. The school is intended for Qatari and Middle Eastern background students who want to practice in that region. The school is not set up for any prep for USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
how is med scholl in qater?

archon218 said:
There are no US citizens in the medical school. The school is intended for Qatari and Middle Eastern background students who want to practice in that region. The school is not set up for any prep for USMLE.

Then how come they're recruiting American students? I got literature from them and they even replied back to me when I inquired.

monopolova said:
Then how come they're recruiting American students? I got literature from them and they even replied back to me when I inquired.

They're not "recruiting" you. You asked for info, and they supplied it. Thats not "recruiting."

The med school in Qatar might accept a couple fo americans to fill up their class, but you will be treated as an FMG and they will strongly push you into staying in Qatar. This is no shortcut to the United States.

I have talked to quite a few americans who plan to attend. The school claims that they will recieve a cornell MD under the US charter. They did not, as of a month ago or so, plan to get a qatar charter.

This is what their website said:

" Admission priority will be given to qualified Qatari citizens who meet Cornell selection criteria. Thus, the Pre-medical and Medical Programs may reflect as much as 70% representation by Qatari citizens, assuming a sufficient number of qualified applicants. Remaining seats in the class will be allocated to other qualified applicants."

other than qatari students, most likely, priority will probably be given to students from gulf arab countries. and then students from other arab countries, and then americans ....... and who knows how you'll be treated when you get there? i certainly wouldn't want to go to a place like qatar for four years - do your research on the country before you go or ask people about it or even visit it if u are that serious.

bts4202 said:
I have talked to quite a few americans who plan to attend. The school claims that they will recieve a cornell MD under the US charter. They did not, as of a month ago or so, plan to get a qatar charter.

You are lying. The degree will say Cornell on it, but it will NOT be recognized as an american school by the LCME. LCME accreditation is TOTALLY SEPARATE from the name on the degree.

Also, according to the website, there is no way that "quite a few americans" are going to attend that school. Its specifically regulated to put american applicants at the very bottom of the pecking order. At most, maybe a couple get in. Once the school opens and its reputation spreads, applications will shoot up and americans will be de facto bottom rung applicants.

MacGyver said:
They're not "recruiting" you. You asked for info, and they supplied it. Thats not "recruiting."

The med school in Qatar might accept a couple fo americans to fill up their class, but you will be treated as an FMG and they will strongly push you into staying in Qatar. This is no shortcut to the United States.

In his defense, he did say they sent him info first before he asked for more info. I also received info from them, an American student. They probably sent it out to all the Cornell rejects like myself.

My father went to Qatar and said it is a beautiful campus, that they spent a ton of money on and can't fill the seats. So I imagine they would welcome American students as well as anyone else.

ma-bas said:
In his defense, he did say they sent him info first before he asked for more info. I also received info from them, an American student. They probably sent it out to all the Cornell rejects like myself.

My father went to Qatar and said it is a beautiful campus, that they spent a ton of money on and can't fill the seats. So I imagine they would welcome American students as well as anyone else.

Hmm, sounds like I am not lying after all. :laugh:

OH, and BTW, here is the deans letter saying that students will get the same MD that cornell proper students get:

Daniel R. Alonso, M.D.
DeanEducation City, P. O. Box 24811
Doha, Qatar
E-mail: [email protected]

Dear Prospective Student,

As Dean of the Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar (WCMC-Q), I am writing to alert you to an unprecedented opportunity to study medicine at one of the world?s leading universities, in one of the world?s most interesting countries, the Arabian Gulf State of Qatar.

Cornell University established this campus in partnership with the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development. This step represented a significant extension of Cornell?s global presence, affirming its commitment to providing the highest standard of medical education to students both within and outside the United States. It is also the first time that an American university is offering its M.D. degree overseas.

Students who enroll in the four-year Medical Program here in Qatar follow the highly successful curriculum developed at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York, one of the United States? foremost centers of medical education, research and patient care. All teaching is by Cornell faculty, and ? upon completion of the program ? students will receive the same degree that is awarded by Weill Cornell Medical College in New York.

Our internationally diverse student body at WCMC-Q live and work in a safe and pleasant environment in Education City, near Doha, the thriving capital of Qatar. This campus, which has excellent residential accommodations and facilities, is expanding rapidly and promises a stimulating and truly international educational experience of the highest quality.

I invite you to browse our Website at www.med.cornell.edu/qatar, where you will find a wealth of useful information. I look forward to hearing from you, and I would also welcome your inquiries, which you may e-mail to me at [email protected].
Alternatively, you may use fax (011-974-492-8555 from the U.S.) or conventional mail to return the enclosed card.

Sincerely yours,Daniel R. Alonso, M.D.
Dean

This was taken from the Qatar Cornell website. Apparently, graduates of Qatar will be treated as FMGs, DESPITE the fact that its an american medical school:

Q ? As a graduate of WCMC-Q, how may I obtain a license to practice medicine in the United States?
A ? Students and graduates of the Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar will be eligible to undergo the United States Medical Licensing Examination ( USMLE ) under the rules established by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates ( ECFMG ). The USMLE is the sole examination system for United States medical students and graduates as well as for international medical graduates seeking medical licensure in the United States.

Also, if Cornell-Qatar were considered an "official" american school, then why the HELL dont htey offer US government based financial aid?

If you read their website, they specifically tell you that all of their financial aid is separate from the US government, and they offer only private-based loans and scholarships. Furthermore, Qatari citizens are fully funded by their government, giving Cornell-Qatar a HUGE incentive to select Qatari citizens over Americans.

Americans will be at a distinct disadvantage in the applications process. They will only take americans after all the qualified Qatari people are accepted. Furthermore, americans will NOT have access to US government based financial aid, which will limit their financial aid opportunities. Furthermore, even IF an american gets accepted there, they will be treated as an FMG, just like the graduates from teh carribean.

Members don't see this ad :)
Q ? As a graduate of WCMC-Q, how may I obtain a license to practice medicine in the United States?
A ? Students and graduates of the Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar will be eligible to undergo the United States Medical Licensing Examination ( USMLE ) under the rules established by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates ( ECFMG ). The USMLE is the sole examination system for United States medical students and graduates as well as for international medical graduates seeking medical licensure in the United States.

Well, technically, the students at cornell-q can not register with the ecfmg currently since there is no charter in qatar.

Check the IMED directory at www.ecfmg.org. Qatar is not listed at all, so they are currently not eligible.

hi
i have read all messages posted at this side and feel confused. is there any foreign student from a non arabic country studying there? it seems to me also quite expensive to study there. how do non arabs finance their studies at this uni? are financial aid and scolarships offered for non arabs? how can they offer cornell education when they are not listed in the WHO list which means you can't even take the USMLE?
any ideas?

Hello,
I am a student at Cornell in Qatar.
First of all, the school is not limited to Qataris or students from the region only. In fact less than 50% of the students are Qatari, and the rest is very diverse, with people from Europe, Asia and America - not very much students from the region at all. There ARE US students there - many of them indeed.
As for financial help, Qatari citizens have ample opportunities for finacial aid from their government, regardless of where they want to study - the only requirement is the appropriate grade average.
Qatar is the most stable country in the region and one of the safest in the world. There is no anti american sentiment apparent at all and the people are very friendly - and why should it be else as the country is rich beyond its wildest dreams.
All the faculty and most of the staff at the college comes from the States and there have been no problems whatsoever. We have been functioning prefectly for the last two years - even throughout the war in Iraq.
There are about 700,000 people living in Qatar, and only 25% of them are locals - the rest are expatriates from all over the world, and they are neccessary as the work force which sustains the countries industry and development.
The medical school is just a part of a huge educational city and other universities, such as Texas A&M, Virginia Commonwealth, Carnegie Mellon and others are present. It is a great environment, very diverse in every aspect.
If you have any more questions I'll be glad to answer.

Hi. I just wanted to post something about Qatar. I spent approximately six months there during the Iraq War. The few times I did go out into the civilian side, I was amazed at how westernized it was. There were big shopping malls and chain restaurants like Chili's, Applebee's, and DQ. I wanted desperately to try some of their native food. Many third country nationals live/work there. In fact, they are brought in country to work in many of the jobs that are considered "blue collar." It was so strange to see such a mix of people- some dressed in veils and others in modern clothes. The landscape was beautiful though, especially by the water. It was so blue and clean. There was a nice waterfront park, where you would see families having picnics or just taking a walk. As long as you respect their customs, I think Qatar could be an interesting place to live/work.

Ignatius said:
Hello,
I am a student at Cornell in Qatar.
First of all, the school is not limited to Qataris or students from the region only. In fact less than 50% of the students are Qatari, and the rest is very diverse, with people from Europe, Asia and America - not very much students from the region at all. There ARE US students there - many of them indeed.
As for financial help, Qatari citizens have ample opportunities for finacial aid from their government, regardless of where they want to study - the only requirement is the appropriate grade average.
Qatar is the most stable country in the region and one of the safest in the world. There is no anti american sentiment apparent at all and the people are very friendly - and why should it be else as the country is rich beyond its wildest dreams.
All the faculty and most of the staff at the college comes from the States and there have been no problems whatsoever. We have been functioning prefectly for the last two years - even throughout the war in Iraq.
There are about 700,000 people living in Qatar, and only 25% of them are locals - the rest are expatriates from all over the world, and they are neccessary as the work force which sustains the countries industry and development.
The medical school is just a part of a huge educational city and other universities, such as Texas A&M, Virginia Commonwealth, Carnegie Mellon and others are present. It is a great environment, very diverse in every aspect.
If you have any more questions I'll be glad to answer.

THanks for your comments. It is nice to see someone who is actually attending this program telling us about it. I do have one question though:

What is the admin telling the students about what their degree will be? Will it be a US degree? Will the accreditation come from the parent Cornell University? Or will the degree be a Qatari degree?

Thanks a lot!

bts4202 said:
What is the admin telling the students about what their degree will be? Will it be a US degree? Will the accreditation come from the parent Cornell University? Or will the degree be a Qatari degree?

Read the website. It already says that graduates will have to go thru the ECFMG process like other foreign medical graduates do.

MacGyver said:
Read the website. It already says that graduates will have to go thru the ECFMG process like other foreign medical graduates do.

THanks for your comment, but I am curious as to what a current student has to say. :D Also, going through the ECFMG isn't possible for the qatar students yet since they are not listed in the FAIMER IMED directory. I am asking if they are planning to be issued a US degree or a Qatar degree and what the admin says about it. THanks ;)

archon218 said:

are you sure there are no americans?

Hi all,
I've been looking into this program. All i need is a good time and phone number to call. I live in California, and I know the time difference between here and Qatar and I'm trying to get a hold of someone in Qatar to answer my questions? What's a good time and number?

Thanks for your help

bts4202 said:
THanks for your comments. It is nice to see someone who is actually attending this program telling us about it. I do have one question though:

Thanks a lot!

Hello again!

The degree will be a Cornell University Degree, equivalent to the one given in New York. Concerning the issue if it will be recognized in the US, that is still in the process of being settled, and it is of a political nature. Too much money has been spent on the whole programm and it would be nonsense if anyone would oppose. It will just take a little bit time for all the supervising people and comittees to check if all the standards are satifactory, and by the time the first class graduates in 2008 everything should be settled - don't forget - we just started and things take time. However, we will be taking USMLEs and we should even be coming to the US for some parts of the curriculum.

kash_711 said:
are you sure there are no americans?

Hello there!

YES>>>THERE ARE AMERICAN STUDENTS AT WEILL CORNELL MEDICAL COLLEGE - A LOT OF THEM.

There are 16 students in the first year of the medical programm and at least 3 of them are Americans.
In the premedical programm the percentage is even higher, and there is a lot of other nationalities as well. Less than 50 % of the students are Qatari.

this question is for Ignatius or anybody who attends cornell in Qatar.

what were your stats (MCAT, GPA) when you got accepted? did you attend the premedical program or are you starting medical program this year?

sequences said:
this question is for Ignatius or anybody who attends cornell in Qatar.

what were your stats (MCAT, GPA) when you got accepted? did you attend the premedical program or are you starting medical program this year?

We attended two years of premedical program (condensed four year pre-med into only two years, all 50 credits - science courses, including some intro medical ones like neuroscience and medical ethics) and are now enrolled into the first year of 4 year medical program. Basically our acceptance procedure and requirements are identical to those of Weill Cornell Medical College in NY. GPA average of 3.7 and MCAT score above 11 in both Physical and Biological Science. We had a lot of people who did much better than the average required.

There is a BIG Duke-American University of Beirut pipeline. I can only think that students from Qatar will have a similar pipeline to Presbyterian. Then, no matter what anyone thinks, these grads will be legitimized, and the naysayers can take a hike.

Interesting.....

If this trend continues, the distiction between FMG and AMG will be very fuzzy. But there remains a question that is yet to be answered. Why would any non-Arab US citizen who is living in the US and has a "GPA>3.7, MCAT>11 x 3", would WANT to go to Cornell-Quatar over Cornell-USA (or any other US allopathic school, for that matter)?

Leukocyte said:
Interesting.....

If this trend continues, the distiction between FMG and AMG will be very fuzzy. But there remains a question that is yet to be answered. Why would any non-Arab US citizen who is living in the US and has a "GPA>3.7, MCAT>11 x 3", would WANT to go to Cornell-Quatar over Cornell-USA (or any other US allopathic school, for that matter)?

Why not? Our college has better facilities than many US medical schools and professors uphold the highest standards of teachings... Plus, classes are smaller and there is more opportunity for student-professor interaction. And of course, in the end, it all amounts to one great adventure... if you are in for that sort of things. :D :laugh: :p

i just wanted to know how many people applied and how many started the medical program this year.

bts4202 said:
THanks for your comment, but I am curious as to what a current student has to say. :D Also, going through the ECFMG isn't possible for the qatar students yet since they are not listed in the FAIMER IMED directory. I am asking if they are planning to be issued a US degree or a Qatar degree and what the admin says about it. THanks ;)

There is no choice....LCME doesn't recognize ANY colleges outside of the US these days...at one time they did recognize American University of Beiurut but no longer.

a graduate of a foreign college must take the ECFMG.....I am sure Cornell will make sure they have a charter......

1. can you do your rotations in the US?
2. Is the MD recognised by the US?
3. do you take your USMLE in Qatar? are all the exams the same as the US? step 1,2,etc
4. what's the point of having an american program in a middleeast country? i'm trying to follow the logic? is it to better Qatar or is it to have Qatari people come to US???

thanks

SCUBA GIRL said:
1. can you do your rotations in the US?
2. Is the MD recognised by the US?
3. do you take your USMLE in Qatar? are all the exams the same as the US? step 1,2,etc
4. what's the point of having an american program in a middleeast country? i'm trying to follow the logic? is it to better Qatar or is it to have Qatari people come to US???

thanks

The MD is recognized as a foreign medical degree.
USMLE's are taken in the US.

The school was established to help Qatar. They obviously didn't fund it to help export their own doctors to the US.

azskeptic said:
The MD is recognized as a foreign medical degree.
USMLE's are taken in the US.

The school was established to help Qatar. They obviously didn't fund it to help export their own doctors to the US.

They are still trying to use their US accreditation.

They do NOT have a Qatari charter: http://imed.ecfmg.org/results.asp?country=0&school=cornell&currpage=1&cname=&city=&region=0&rname=&psize=25

So, if they are considered a foriegn school, then their students are NOT eligible to take the USMLE, get a residency, or permenent license.

bts4202 said:
They are still trying to use their US accreditation.

They do NOT have a Qatari charter: http://imed.ecfmg.org/results.asp?country=0&school=cornell&currpage=1&cname=&city=&region=0&rname=&psize=25

So, if they are considered a foriegn school, then their students are NOT eligible to take the USMLE, get a residency, or permenent license.

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2002/12/02/prbf1202.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.S. medical schools may not have offshore branches - --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. medical schools may not have offshore branches
The Liaison Council on Medical Education, faced with a growing number of nontraditional medical education models seeking accreditation, recently adopted language clarifying its standards.

Under these criteria, only medical schools in the United States or Canada are eligible for accreditation, which would include the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Puerto Rico and Canada's Northwest Territories. All programs outside of North America will be considered independent.

The school that may be the most affected by this is Weill Medical College of Cornell University in New York, which opened a branch campus in Doha, Qatar, this fall.

Cornell officials intended to seek U.S. accreditation

Well, then if they can not use their US accreditation like they are trying to, then their students are NOT eligible for anything in the US since they are NOT listed in the IMED directory.

bts4202 said:
Well, then if they can not use their US accreditation like they are trying to, then their students are NOT eligible for anything in the US since they are NOT listed in the IMED directory.

the school is established to train students for the middle east......but my guess is that their approval just doesn't show up yet. They will be a FAIMER listed school if they ask; they are govt. approved and that is all it takes.

azskeptic said:
the school is established to train students for the middle east......but my guess is that their approval just doesn't show up yet. They will be a FAIMER listed school if they ask; they are govt. approved and that is all it takes.

Wait a minute AZ, for a self proclaimed expert on foriegn medical schools, you should know better than this.

They have accepted MANY US citezens who only wish to come back to the US. As recently as a few months ago were told that the school would be using their US accreditation (that article was from 2002) and that they could do all their clinicals at Cornell Uni in NY. If that article came out in 2002, they should have known since then to get a charter and get listed on FAIMER, to say that it :just hasn't shown up yet" is nonsense. It does not take 3 years to get listed.

If those people wish to come back to the US to practice, which they DO, then they are NOT able to since the school is not listed in FAIMER. The people at cornell are not that stupid, If they are considering these student foriegn, they would know what needs to be done for them to come back and being listed on FAIMER is number 1.

So either:

1. They are still trying to use their US accrediation and w will have to wait and see what happens with that.
or
2. They are a foriegn school, not listed on FAIMER, and ineligible to do anything in the US (resideny, licensure, etc)

bts4202 said:
Wait a minute AZ, for a self proclaimed expert on foriegn medical schools, you should know better than this.

They have accepted MANY US citezens who only wish to come back to the US. As recently as a few months ago were told that the school would be using their US accreditation (that article was from 2002) and that they could do all their clinicals at Cornell Uni in NY. If that article came out in 2002, they should have known since then to get a charter and get listed on FAIMER, to say that it :just hasn't shown up yet" is nonsense. It does not take 3 years to get listed.

If those people wish to come back to the US to practice, which they DO, then they are NOT able to since the school is not listed in FAIMER. The people at cornell are not that stupid, If they are considering these student foriegn, they would know what needs to be done for them to come back and being listed on FAIMER is number 1.

So either:

1. They are still trying to use their US accrediation and w will have to wait and see what happens with that.
or
2. They are a foriegn school, not listed on FAIMER, and ineligible to do anything in the US (resideny, licensure, etc)

Well, pure and simple they are foreign grads...if their school doesn't get FAIMER they are students who won't get licensed in the US. They are NOT US medical students...one doesn't have to be an expert to see that since Qatar isn't a state of the US.

Contact Bill Kelly at ECFMG in Philadelphia and confirm it for yourself if you have questions.

azskeptic said:
Well, pure and simple they are foreign grads...if their school doesn't get FAIMER they are students who won't get licensed in the US. They are NOT US medical students...one doesn't have to be an expert to see that since Qatar isn't a state of the US.

Contact Bill Kelly at ECFMG in Philadelphia and confirm it for yourself if you have questions.

LMAO, i am not the one with questions, you are the one insisting that they "will have" FAIMER`listing when they still do not 3 years after the article you posted. For a supposed "skeptic", you only seem skeptical of certain schools even in the face of others doing things that are wrong.

bts4202 said:
LMAO, i am not the one with questions, you are the one insisting that they "will have" FAIMER`listing when they still do not 3 years after the article you posted. For a supposed "skeptic", you only seem skeptical of certain schools even in the face of others doing things that are wrong.

There you go. Happy Holidays.

As soon as I heard about this school I knew it was perfect for me. However, my GPA is not stellar, but I am very persistent. I'm a femal Egyptian American and am currently a junior at Emory University in Atlanta. Since Ive started persuing medicine, my goal has been to get a good education and then work in the middle east in an area that is in need of good medical care. I am fluent in arabic and able to read and write it, as well as english of course. I was wondering if anyone attending the school or with any insight could give me any information about my likelyhood of getting accepted with these characteristics. I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I am very passionate about perusing my medical education at this college, and am looking for any helpful hints I can get or just general information because so little is out there. Id really appreciate it.
Thanks!

SoftRockFreak said:
As soon as I heard about this school I knew it was perfect for me. However, my GPA is not stellar, but I am very persistent. I'm a femal Egyptian American and am currently a junior at Emory University in Atlanta. Since Ive started persuing medicine, my goal has been to get a good education and then work in the middle east in an area that is in need of good medical care. I am fluent in arabic and able to read and write it, as well as english of course. I was wondering if anyone attending the school or with any insight could give me any information about my likelyhood of getting accepted with these characteristics. I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I am very passionate about perusing my medical education at this college, and am looking for any helpful hints I can get or just general information because so little is out there. Id really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Since the school is not accredited I would say attend a school in the US. I know they will build a new teaching hospital. But it is a new medical school. It will take them at least 10 years to make this school great. I have no doubt in my mind that it will be a great medical school.

You didn't really answer her question.

I think the best advice would be to call Cornell expressing the same enthusiasm, and ask them. At the very least, you'll be 'on their radar'.

btw if Cornell has to, they'll use their connections to place their Qatar students in the US for residency. Although as a generalist there wouldn't be much of an issue coming back anyhow.

Meanwhile, look at all the options and consider whether you want any US training, whether that even matters to you. And don't neglect thinking of other int'l schools -- your training doesn't need to be in the middle east in order to end up there, and other schools let you spend significant time doing overseas electives (for example, UQueensland has 1st + 4th year int'l electives + an optional 3rd *year* in Brunei, not to plug UQ per se, but i am here in part for these opportunities).

Be *prepared* to jump some hurdles to do your dream, but don't let naysayers stop you! You go girl! :love:

-pitman