New question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

showeeeeeeeee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I haven't seen this question addressed before and didn't find anything in the search. Could you help me?

Basically, I don't trust my advisor 100% because of some errors in information before, so I want to ask you guys for some advice.

I applied for the entering class 2001 and took the mcat in April 2000. I interviewed at University of Washington and was put on hold and eventually rejected. I decided to take the mcat to see if I could bring up my bs and my overall score to make me more competitive. Some things have come up and I can't take it this april and have elected to take it in August (I can't take the chance of doing worse).

So here's my Q: My scores were good enough last time to get an interview, so could I theoretically apply in June with old mcat scores, and have my application processed early, then have my other scores come later? I know that taking the August mcat will put you at a disadvantage if your primary can't be complete until October. Tricky.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys may have!!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The USF dean of admissions told me that your file becomes complete with one (1) MCAT score. I had asked him this same question. So I would say for USF, yes they could start evaluating you before the scores arrive in October, but for other schools it may vary.

Definitely apply early. There's no reason to delay your apps anyway. There really isn't any advantage waiting until you get the August scores. For better or for worse, it's better to have an application completed early, and have the chance for an early interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure there isn't any advantage to waiting for the new scores? Yes, the OP got the interview...but didn't get in. If the other poster is right and only the first MCAT score is considered, waiting might be best. There is no reason at all for the OP to not contact the schools themselves.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by showeeeeeeeee:

Basically, I don't trust my advisor 100% because of some errors in information before, so I want to ask you guys for some advice.
•••••Are you referring to one of the UW premed advisors? (Do you go to UW?) I talked to him once, and I immediately knew that he didn't know what he was talking about. He said that zoology and physiology courses don't count towards BCPM GPA, because the department title name has to be biology, chemistry, physics or math. :confused:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•Are you sure there isn't any advantage to waiting for the new scores? Yes, the OP got the interview...but didn't get in. If the other poster is right and only the first MCAT score is considered, waiting might be best. There is no reason at all for the OP to not contact the schools themselves.•••••:confused: Hi! I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean. What is OP?

Thanks!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by otter:
•Are you referring to one of the UW premed advisors? (Do you go to UW?) I talked to him once, and I immediately knew that he didn't know what he was talking about. He said that zoology and physiology courses don't count towards BCPM GPA, because the department title name has to be biology, chemistry, physics or math. :confused: •••••EEk!! Actually, I didn't go to UW. But it's the same kind of thing where they tell you something that you know is not right (like something that contradicts the MSAR, etc). Pretty funny.