New Rumor: Wal-Mart to offer Free Generics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueclassring

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard this from a pharmacist that a work with. Apparently, they are looking to unleash this program this fall/winter. What are your thoughts on this? Good/bad for us? Will it destroy the profession? Can independents still survive?

Members don't see this ad.

Generics make up a small percentage of our rxs, and we price match anyway. Small independents can do MTM, home delivery, and compounding. I don't forsee our sky falling at the small pharmacy I'm at directly across the street from WallyWorld I'm at anytime soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Publix gives away a free 14 day supply of antibiotics too.

You would think it'd be the other way around....with generics being a large amount of total rx's.

Augh, so sorry, meant rx profits. Sorry. Have to stop getting on internet after midnight!

Publix gives away a free 14 day supply of antibiotics too.

It's "free" if you have some type of third party coverage, right? Thanks.

no...it's free period as long as its for a 14 day supply on the approved list. no strings attached

That is so altruistic! Wow! No wonder pharmacists love Publix.

That is so altruistic! Wow! No wonder pharmacists love Publix.

Eeeek. I love Publix...but am no fan of the concept of free abx. Any other drug class maybe...lipid/HTN drugs, perhaps. But the perception of antibiotics = candy, where patients can easily ask physicians for a script every time they get some respiratory virus since it's "free"...really bothers me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eeeek. I love Publix...but am no fan of the concept of free abx. Any other drug class maybe...lipid/HTN drugs, perhaps. But the perception of antibiotics = candy, where patients can easily ask physicians for a script every time they get some respiratory virus since it's "free"...really bothers me.

No, not the abx part, just the altruism part, aw geez, everybody's a critical thinker.........

Maybe they just want to make a gazillion dollars so they can afford to become even more altruistic, like Bill Gates.

Publix has a small list of antibiotics that are free. We price match them at Kmart. It's only for the dirt cheap meds like amoxicillin, penicillin, etc. Usually, the patient will also need to get something else filled like cough syrup and you make up the money right then and there.

Publix has a small list of antibiotics that are free. We price match them at Kmart. It's only for the dirt cheap meds like amoxicillin, penicillin, etc. Usually, the patient will also need to get something else filled like cough syrup and you make up the money right then and there.

The list is very short - but these are pretty frequent flyers when it comes to antibiotic Rxs...

Amoxicillin
Cephalexin
Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim (SMZ-TMP)
Ciprofloxacin (excluding ciprofloxacin XR)
Penicillin VK
Ampicillin and
Erythromycin (excluding Ery-Tab).

My favorite conversation with patients is the use of AB for the flu... "Oh, it doesn't work for the flu... It must just be the common cold... Can you fill if for that please?"

Its the MDs not wanting to deal with pushy parents that are to blame - you cant fill an prescription without it being written first.

~above~

I got a free RX for Amoxicillin tid x 10 days from Kroger about 2 years ago. They price matched Sam's club I think, and did it automatically...I didn't have to ask or do anything.

I got a free RX for Amoxicillin tid x 10 days from Kroger about 2 years ago. They price matched Sam's club I think, and did it automatically...I didn't have to ask or do anything.

I usually diagnose myself, prescribe myself, and get the meds free at charge myself in the pharmacy.....:laugh:

I usually diagnose myself, prescribe myself, and get the meds free at charge myself in the pharmacy.....:laugh:

I know right? Save people a lot of time, and the company doesn't usually mind because your productivity will increase as a result.

Don't try to do it with soma or them lortabs, because i've known some dudes who had to go in front of the board because they did that before they could pharmacist again.

If Wal-Mart does free generics, I am just going to go ahead and move to Antarctica. And I hate the cold.

But I might be persuaded to only to go, say, Chile, if the NCBOP outlaws coupons.

The line has to be drawn somewhere. I'm getting tired of being treated like a fast-food restaurant employee.

Just another example of the continuous bastardization of retail pharmacy...

I know right? Save people a lot of time, and the company doesn't usually mind because your productivity will increase as a result.

Don't try to do it with soma or them lortabs, because i've known some dudes who had to go in front of the board because they did that before they could pharmacist again.

Did you know that Target has generic Ritalin, $4 for 30 tabs? I almost DFO'd (done fell out) when I saw that.

Conceivably, Wal-Mart can achieve this. After all the pharmacy isn't the main focus of their business. If their intent is to drive in business, a gimmick like may work! It probably won't work for Wags because a huge percentage of their profits is derived from the pharmacy.

The bastardization of our profession; if you are working for Wags/CVS, you are already. Drive-thrus and fast service(ie crank them out as fast as you can) have essentially made this profession a joke.

Conceivably, Wal-Mart can achieve this. After all the pharmacy isn't the main focus of their business. If their intent is to drive in business, a gimmick like may work! It probably won't work for Wags because a huge percentage of their profits is derived from the pharmacy.

The bastardization of our profession; if you are working for Wags/CVS, you are already. Drive-thrus and fast service(ie crank them out as fast as you can) have essentially made this profession a joke.

Ok. Well I wouldn't want you to look like a "joke" so feel free to leave - more money for me.

Ok. Well I wouldn't want you to look like a "joke" so feel free to leave - more money for me.

You obviously have not worked in a retail pharmacy.

Actually I have quite extensive experience in retail. You know what they say about "ASS-U-MING".

I certainly respect your opinion on this. I'm just giving you mine. Don't feel that I am attacking you or retail pharmacy. It is what it is at the current moment.:laugh: Don't worry, even if I don't leave retail pharmacy there will be jobs aplenty. Just ask yourself if you are willing to put up with it for long! :laugh:

Actually I have quite extensive experience in retail. You know what they say about "ASS-U-MING".

Well, then you are perfect for chain pharmacy retail. Make money and don't focus on patient care because there is no time to do it. I lasted one year before I got out. I didn't go to pharmacy school to work on an assembly line.