New Schedule so tired

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealthE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started taking a full course load with working. Yesterday, I had class from morning until 530 pm and a few hours of work. By the time I got home, I was beat. I needed to get 6-7 hours of studying in but ended up falling asleep after a couple hours of studying. Anyone have advice on staying energized to study after a long day? Maybe, I need some kind of energy booster or something when its time for the studying shift. I can't have this happen again.

Members don't see this ad.

I just started taking a full course load with working. Yesterday, I had class from morning until 530 pm and a few hours of work. By the time I got home, I was beat. I needed to get 6-7 hours of studying in but ended up falling asleep after a couple hours of studying. Anyone have advice on staying energized to study after a long day? Maybe, I need some kind of energy booster or something when its time for the studying shift. I can't have this happen again.
I find that studying after a day at work is an exercise in futility. I suggest trying to get up a little earlier to study before class.

I find that studying after a day at work is an exercise in futility. I suggest trying to get up a little earlier to study before class.

Everything thing I am doing right now uses a lot of mental energy. Work and school. I wish I had one of those boring jobs that didn't use up so much brain power. I will try waking up early on the really bad days. I totally admire those troopers who work, have school, and a family.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah... my new schedule is a pain too. I stayed up all night studying last night, ended up cranky and tired all day today but still have a lot more to do. Not to mention I need to be putting in extra time at work right now. Ugh...

I do try to always schedule some exercise in. It helps me clear my head and focus.

Is taking a nap better would you think instead of studying tired

Definitely hear you on the schedule. This week involved not one, not two, but three periods where I was awake for close to 24 hrs. One day is usually the norm and the commuting sucks.

I tend to agree with Q that studying after work is an exercise in futility. During a particularly brutal stretch I would just get home, do some exercise, take a nap, and wake up early to study. I kept a weird sleep schedule, but tended to be more alert while studying with a whole lot less wasted time trying to remind myself to get back on task.

With a an hour commute each way to school, 17 credit hours, work and a family, I have learned to make use of every minute I have. Here is what I decided to do early on this semester:
I record my classes, that way I can listen to them in my car. Morning might be more suitable for you if you can focus at the end of the day
At the end of a long day I tried not to study right away, I go home sleep for a couple of hours and get up and study with a refreshed mind and everybody else is asleep, so it is quiet
I work out at least 3 times a week: here is where the recordings would help to, because you can listen to them while studying
An a priceless tip that my husband gave me when I started back on this journey: sleep whenever I can. That' is sleep in between classes at school even if it is just for 30 minutes. Take power nap here and there. I work overnight, so getting some rest is even harder, but so far so good!
hope that helps

this is similar to my schedule, 1 hour commute back and forth on the train to school then powernap for a bit, wake up refreshed and able to study / concentrate better

Yeah, i've got an hour and a half to two hour commute each way 2-3 times a week, but unlike most people on here it seems I used that time to unwind, listen to music, and catch up on phone calls with family (hands free of course). I thought I'd multi-task, but after a long day of work or class I just want to spend that drive resting my brain.

Still think naps make the biggest difference for me.

I would be very concerned with burnout if I had that schedule. I could manage it for a while, but I don't know how long. I have to study too many hours to be able to do 17 credit hours and work, unless I could study on the job. (security guard)

This is tough, but doable.

This spring I worked 50 hrs a week at my job while studying for the MCAT-- full work day plus around 5 hours of studying per day/evening. (Though luckily on weekends I didn't have work!)

Here is my advice to you:
- Find out when you work best. Early morning? Late at night? Do the hardest stuff then.
- Exercise gives you energy and helps you remember things. I thought I was too busy for a 30 min jog, but working out gave me more energy and studies show exercise helps brain.
- Keep the end date in mind. Remember that your current schedule is not forever.
- Cultivate a support network, find people that will support you when you are feeling overworked, overstressed, etc.
- Do a few nice/relaxing things for yourself each week. For me, sometimes that was watching a 30 minute TV show after 5 hours of studying and before hitting the sack.

Good luck! You can do it!

EDIT: caffeine in the AM and a mid-afternoon boost (espresso shot!) helps too :)

I'm experiencing a similar schedule as well right now and the biggest problem I seem to have is actually winding down enough to fall asleep. Naps have become a God-send as well!

This is tough, but doable.

This spring I worked 50 hrs a week at my job while studying for the MCAT-- full work day plus around 5 hours of studying per day/evening. (Though luckily on weekends I didn't have work!)

Here is my advice to you:
- Find out when you work best. Early morning? Late at night? Do the hardest stuff then.
- Exercise gives you energy and helps you remember things. I thought I was too busy for a 30 min jog, but working out gave me more energy and studies show exercise helps brain.
- Keep the end date in mind. Remember that your current schedule is not forever.
- Cultivate a support network, find people that will support you when you are feeling overworked, overstressed, etc.
- Do a few nice/relaxing things for yourself each week. For me, sometimes that was watching a 30 minute TV show after 5 hours of studying and before hitting the sack.

Good luck! You can do it!

EDIT: caffeine in the AM and a mid-afternoon boost (espresso shot!) helps too :)

I did this yesterday. It was awesome! Helped me stay awake for my afternoon block of classes that can be incredibly dry and boring. I went for a run after and got some work done. Much better then earlier in the week when I felt like passing out after the same schedule.

I do need to work on my sleep schedule somehow though. It is a bit erratic. I do work best at night always have.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did this yesterday. It was awesome! Helped me stay awake for my afternoon block of classes that can be incredibly dry and boring. I went for a run after and got some work done. Much better then earlier in the week when I felt like passing out after the same schedule.

I do need to work on my sleep schedule somehow though. It is a bit erratic. I do work best at night always have.

It sounds like you are getting on the right track!

I also found sleep scheduling to be the hardest part. Try to make it as regular as you can...

Myself, I have blood sugar issues. How alert and awake I feel typically revolves around how I'm eating that day. I tend to crash around 2-3pm. I've begun eating protein bars around 1:30 and it's helped tremendously. I still feel physically tired, but my head doesn't feel nearly as cloudy and I can't focus attention easier. I don't feel like it's a major struggle to make it to dinner anymore.

I hear this complaint all the time.

"I'm taking a full course load and working, but burning out"

You have to take a reduced course load. If that extends your time until starting med school, then so be it. There's no time requirement, here. What are you rushing for? To get to the next stage of your life where you're in med school for 4 years, then doing a residency? Face it, you're in this for the long haul... it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Myself, I have blood sugar issues. How alert and awake I feel typically revolves around how I'm eating that day. I tend to crash around 2-3pm. I've begun eating protein bars around 1:30 and it's helped tremendously. I still feel physically tired, but my head doesn't feel nearly as cloudy and I can't focus attention easier. I don't feel like it's a major struggle to make it to dinner anymore.

Refueling right now as we speak. I started getting tired and did a starbucks run. Not sure how healthy this is but it is saving me. I plan on hitting the gym as a study break tomorrow.

I hear this complaint all the time.

"I'm taking a full course load and working, but burning out"

You have to take a reduced course load. If that extends your time until starting med school, then so be it. There's no time requirement, here. What are you rushing for? To get to the next stage of your life where you're in med school for 4 years, then doing a residency? Face it, you're in this for the long haul... it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I have to agree with this.

If you need to reduce your load and postpone your application a year, then it's not the end of the world. Taking 17 credit hours and working with a family is treating this process with such an urgency that I cannot understand. I hope the OP does well, but I would be so battered by the end of that term. I always hear my classmates stressing about their exam performance because they are pressed for time always due to work. I feel so guilty because I have more time to study for exams than they do, but I put myself in this position because I know my limitations.

- "Refueling right now as we speak. I started getting tired and did a starbucks run. Not sure how healthy this is but it is saving me. I plan on hitting the gym as a study break tomorrow."

I'm cheering for you. Use your family support when you can. I rediscovered caffeine recently. Although expensive, the Monster energy drinks help me through long lectures(Blue Cans). Also, I use meditative music when I study to dim out distractions when I am all wound up and having trouble focusing. You can find plenty of relaxing things on youtube, which also help me with quick powernaps.

Last edited:
Study for 30 minutes, do 30 pushups or situps. Repeat.

As an added bonus, there seems to be some evidence to suggest that exercize done after learning can help improve retention:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/how-exercise-can-help-you-master-new-skills/

I find this science highly questionable. You also undermine your thesis when talking about improved mentation when you misspell "exercise" :laugh:

You can wean down the number of hours you need to a point, you can wean off reliance on refined sugars for burst of energy. But there are only a certain number of useful hours in the day. At some point you probably have to make some hard decisions of what has to go to make room for something else.

I find this science highly questionable. You also undermine your thesis when talking about improved mentation when you misspell "exercise" :laugh:

You can wean down the number of hours you need to a point, you can wean off reliance on refined sugars for burst of energy. But there are only a certain number of useful hours in the day. At some point you probably have to make some hard decisions of what has to go to make room for something else.

Ahh, for whatever reason, there are a few (a lot?) of words I can just not spell right the first try...with exercise being one of them! Yes, the science is questionable...but, if you believe hard enough that it works it sure enough probably well. Just takes a little practice and hard work and you'll have that placebo effect down in no time.

This is only the beginning folks. Need to learn to cope with it now. Once you get through and in the world of being on call, etc. sleeping with the phone and being mentally alert at any time of the day/night that you get that call you will live on the edge of fatigue all the time and still be expected to be mentally alert for an emergency.

I did 11 days of 24/7 call coverage for ER, worked a 50 hour week in clinic (patient's plus charting), covered my inpatients and saw a few long term care folks. Total week about 70 hours. Even if I get called in at 3am to the ER, still have to be back to work at 8. They don't change clinic for you just because you are tired. Takes a while to get used to it, having newborn kids is the best practice, but residency whips you into shape too.

I can't say what is right for you, but I have to agree with the "marathon, not a sprint" sentiments. I completed my last 2 semesters with an 18-19 credit hour load, working, volunteering in a lab and trying to spend time with my husband. I somehow pulled straight A's but was exhausted and stressed and didn't know if I could keep that up. I made a very difficult decision and decided that THIS is my journey and if I slowed down I'd have better grades, be more prepared for the MCAT, become a better applicant and be happier. This means I'm applying a year later than I originally planned to.

I've struggled with guilt and concerns about additional debt, but I have had friends and family comment on how I'm visibly happier. I still have a lot on my plate, but I let go of the idea that I had to do all of it right now. I still don't socialize very often but I exercise, eat healthier, sleep, and hang out with my husband far more than I used to.

Ahh, for whatever reason, there are a few (a lot?) of words I can just not spell right the first try...with exercise being one of them! Yes, the science is questionable...but, if you believe hard enough that it works it sure enough probably well. Just takes a little practice and hard work and you'll have that placebo effect down in no time.

Placebo effect can never work if you know its a placebo effect, no matter how much you want to believe.

This is only the beginning folks. Need to learn to cope with it now. Once you get through and in the world of being on call, etc. sleeping with the phone and being mentally alert at any time of the day/night that you get that call you will live on the edge of fatigue all the time and still be expected to be mentally alert for an emergency.

I did 11 days of 24/7 call coverage for ER, worked a 50 hour week in clinic (patient's plus charting), covered my inpatients and saw a few long term care folks. Total week about 70 hours. Even if I get called in at 3am to the ER, still have to be back to work at 8. They don't change clinic for you just because you are tired. Takes a while to get used to it, having newborn kids is the best practice, but residency whips you into shape too.

Lest people get confused, most call during residency these days is not "home call" where you get called in -- you are on site in the hospital for 24 hour call or 5-6 night night float shifts. Home call tends to start more often in fellowship or as an attending. Sleeping in your own bed IMHO is still easier on you, although it tends to be harder on loved ones in the household who get woken up by the pager, and because you might not get called in it may not be limited to an every couple if nights ordeal.

I only mention this because I've seen a lot of folk on SDN shocked when I explained that when you are on call as a resident, you are up all night working at the hospital, not home cozy in bed with your pager.

Lest people get confused, most call during residency these days is not "home call" where you get called in -- you are on site in the hospital for 24 hour call or 5-6 night night float shifts. Home call tends to start more often in fellowship or as an attending. Sleeping in your own bed IMHO is still easier on you, although it tends to be harder on loved ones in the household who get woken up by the pager, and because you might not get called in it may not be limited to an every couple if nights ordeal.

I only mention this because I've seen a lot of folk on SDN shocked when I explained that when you are on call as a resident, you are up all night working at the hospital, not home cozy in bed with your pager.

I totally agree that resident call is being in house for the duration. Attending call can range from holding a pager all night and taking phone message after hours to covering a rural ER 24/7 and have to be available for whatever comes through the door. Currently I am doing the clinic and ER thing so while I sleep in my own bed I have to go into the ER for anyone who shows up. Was called in at 3am this week to take care of a tourist who fell on the ferry deck and shattered her arm. It's all about what you sign up for. But the fatigue never really gets better until you have that one day where you are totally mentally off and not responsible for anything or anyone.

been there :). med school and residency are coming for you soon, and it doesn't get easier haha

There have been many times as an attending that I slept at the hospital just because I was getting called in every hour anyway or there was a major accident on a rural highway with multiple casualties and it just wasn't worth it to keep going back and forth in anticipation of the next person coming through the ER. Or I was waiting to see if I needed to medevac a person but had to wait for the radiologist to call and laid down in the hospital bed to catch what sleep I could.

I'm torn between learning to deal with it and enjoying the freedom while it lasts... kind of like what they tell you about the summer before med school and the summer after your first year.

:sleep:

In my opinion you get used to it, and learn to study/sleep whenever you can find time. For me, I go to class at 8am every day. Go to work 20 minutes after my last class, and get home at 10 each night. It sucks, but it's life. 3 days a week I have a 2 hour break between classes so I make sure to exercise for an hour then study any other free time. Anywhere I have a break in classes, I'm either studying, planning stuff for my pre-med club, emailing/calling people, or telling myself "I should be studying" (that last one happens more than I'd like to admit). That way when I get home, I'm spending time with my wife and baby. You'll figure out what works for you! You may get "burned out" for a bit, but you'll find yourself getting used to it. I'd describe it like, you never get used to the fatigue. You just get used to NOT being used to the fatigue... inception... :D

I have a question about these aforementioned "power naps." When I tried crashing in the library on the fourth floor of the annex, very inconspicuous place, the security guard covering the floors told me that I am not allowed to sleep in the library. At all. So... where exactly do you guys sleep?

I have a question about these aforementioned "power naps." When I tried crashing in the library on the fourth floor of the annex, very inconspicuous place, the security guard covering the floors told me that I am not allowed to sleep in the library. At all. So... where exactly do you guys sleep?
Sleeping in the library is easy. Check out the key to a study room, turn off the lights, and good night.

As for how to deal with sleep deprivation, making your life as easy as possible is key. I live close enough to the hospital to walk every day. I listen to a podcast while I walk. It gets me a dollop of exercise along with not driving while I'm sleep deprived and adding in a little studying to boot. Highly recommend living close to where you go (school or work) on a daily basis.

Sleeping in the library is easy. Check out the key to a study room, turn off the lights, and good night.

U of Hawaii hasn't got any study rooms in the library. My first college, Lafayette, did, but I left after my first year. Of course I think I shouldn't have, but then I look at the people I've met in Hawaii since I came back and I'm actually glad. Now, I can't speak for our medical school, because I haven't been to their library, but the main campus has got absolutely no study rooms. I've been to the law library several times, and I could almost assure you that while there were tens upon tens of cubicles, I do not recall seeing a single study room. Such is the state of tropical paradise, I suppose.

Q, thanks for the advice. This seems to be working. I woke up at 530 today to do some verbal practice before work. Result was a 10% improvement over my average. Missed only two questions on the half-section I did. I guess in a loaded schedule I'm more awake in the morning than after a long day of work and class.

You should make a sticky of all your ideas and call it Q-tips!

As for how to deal with sleep deprivation, making your life as easy as possible is key. I live close enough to the hospital to walk every day. I listen to a podcast while I walk. It gets me a dollop of exercise along with not driving while I'm sleep deprived and adding in a little studying to boot. Highly recommend living close to where you go (school or work) on a daily basis.

I wish I could like this post. I am guilty of doing this. Not recently but I have. Might need to bring this practice back.

U of Hawaii hasn't got any study rooms in the library. My first college, Lafayette, did, but I left after my first year. Of course I think I shouldn't have, but then I look at the people I've met in Hawaii since I came back and I'm actually glad. Now, I can't speak for our medical school, because I haven't been to their library, but the main campus has got absolutely no study rooms. I've been to the law library several times, and I could almost assure you that while there were tens upon tens of cubicles, I do not recall seeing a single study room. Such is the state of tropical paradise, I suppose.
As much as I'd love to visit HI, that would be a total dealbreaker for me. :p

All kidding aside, heck yeah, try the med school library. Though they may not let you check out keys as a premed. But if they let you ensconce yourself in a deserted corner somewhere to sleep, that works too.

Q, thanks for the advice. This seems to be working. I woke up at 530 today to do some verbal practice before work. Result was a 10% improvement over my average. Missed only two questions on the half-section I did. I guess in a loaded schedule I'm more awake in the morning than after a long day of work and class.
Glad it helped.

You should make a sticky of all your ideas and call it Q-tips!
Groan. That was just awful. :laugh:

I wish I could like this post. I am guilty of doing this. Not recently but I have. Might need to bring this practice back.
Do what you gotta do to survive. I spent part of last night snoozing in the dispatch center, which is this little secret communication war room located in the bowels of the hospital basement. Watched a couple of hours of "Intervention" with the staff, ate a little from their junk food stash. Best night on call I ever had.

Groan. That was just awful. :laugh:

I dunno, got a pretty good laugh outta me.:laugh:

I woke up at 7 p.m. last night, worked all night. Have time for about a 15-20 minute rest then leave for class at 9:30 a.m. Then commute to class, hopefully catch a nap in my car from about 3:30 to 5:30 my only break all day, then get done with class round 8:30 p.m. and be home around 10 p.m., at which point I fully expect to sleep for 14 hrs

why am i doing this nonsense before medical school and residency?

Whoa....monster drinks...idk about that now
To the poster who worked 50 hours and studying for the mcat...there is a huge difference btwn taking classes and studying for the beast thats the mcat than just working and studying for the.mcats.
Ay work its more physically challenging and less mental BUT being a full time student requires mental energy and then more is needed for the mcats...
Just my shiny red pennies ;)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

As mentioned by many people, take a short nap (30 minutes or so) and maintain exercise regimens. Currently I only get to work out once a week, but I make that once count. Intermittently I walk a lot on campus/work. I take the stairs (over the escalator/elevator) every chance I get - must maintain exercise to preserve energy reservoir for studies.

Whoa....monster drinks...idk about that now
To the poster who worked 50 hours and studying for the mcat...there is a huge difference btwn taking classes and studying for the beast thats the mcat than just working and studying for the.mcats.
Ay work its more physically challenging and less mental BUT being a full time student requires mental energy and then more is needed for the mcats...
Just my shiny red pennies ;)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Okay, I get your point. I was working in Consulting, which has a rep for terrible hours, and I had to use my brain a lot at work. Reading/writing/discussing all day, facing clients when I had to be on my A-game delivering presentations, then switching off that part of my brain and studying all night. So, my work was not "physically" challenging, but more mentally challenging. Also, not exactly the kind of job that has "lunch breaks" or a job where I could study while at work.

EDIT: I guess my point is that I have Masters degree and a career, separate from applying to med school (this is a non-trad forum, right?), which actually made performing well at work and performing well on this exam very very challenging and mentally taxing.

Last edited: