New school opening at LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Extra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to American Podiatric Medical Students Association General Meeting, a new podiatry school is in the progress of receiving accreditation for a college of podiatric medicine at LECOM. For this year's incoming class, only around 350 students were accepted for the potential 700 seats available at the 9 existing school (the Texas school have not released the data yet). Currently, class of 2023 has 568 students with 620 potential residency spots. Why in the world are they opening any more schools?! There has been a 21% decrease in applicants this year and many of the schools are continuing to shrink their class size yet we want to open another school!

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
what the absolute ****

podiatry is finished. same road as pharmacy. writing is absolutely on the wall. good thing is by the time these kids all come through I will be on my way out. to anyone who was in a position of power here and just let this happen.. shame on you.

GREED.

Reactions: 1 users
According to American Podiatric Medical Students Association General Meeting, a new podiatry school is in the progress of receiving accreditation for a college of podiatric medicine at LECOM. For this year's incoming class, only around 350 students were accepted for the potential 700 seats available at the 9 existing school (the Texas school have not released the data yet). Currently, class of 2023 has 568 students with 620 potential residency spots. Why in the world are they opening any more schools?! There has been a 21% decrease in applicants this year and many of the schools are continuing to shrink their class size yet we want to open another school!
It makes no sense the way we see things, but I suppose the existing medical school could hire only a couple new faculty members and make a profit with a small class. Like I have said before unless there is a residency shortage our leaders and organizations will do nothing to stop new schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
by the way the LECOM residency sucks. and I'm sorry to the faculty and residents for hitting them with a stray bullet in this thread but it should be said since they now may have a school??

• Hmm
Time to open up a ton of podiatry associate mills and make a killing off of these new suckers for $75k/yr!

This is a money grab. I bet LECOM wants it badly so they can get another program to get tuition dollars from.

It is a ridiculous attempt at a money grab by another DO school, but it honestly does not matter how many schools there are.

The job market is horrible and until that changes (and it never does in any meaningful way) nothing else matters.

more will follow too is the hilarious thing. you're kidding yourself if you think this is the last.

I'd like to hear more about there only being 350 students that matriculated.
They really focus on the individual and giving them hands on experience.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
If I'm searching the archives, this has been talked about for at least a couple of years, and FWIW, I have seen a couple of job posts for a dean online.

Attachments

• 7B47C12E-D845-4B08-8875-ABC9EB7F7CF1.gif
    7B47C12E-D845-4B08-8875-ABC9EB7F7CF1.gif
    482.8 KB · Views: 75
I am sure our “leaders” will blame the decrease on the truth tellers. They will also tell us we should should promote our profession endlessly to high school and college students….oh wait they already do.

Podiatry is not going to change significantly from a few years of decreased enrollments (It will take a couple decades of significantly reduced enrollments). If you are a prospective student, don’t think this is your chance for things to be great in the job market now that enrollment is down……you will probably avoid a horrible residency, but you still need to be prepared to face a horrible job market. While avoiding the stress of not having enough residencies is a positive, it will not correlate to the job market. Most now feel the cons outweigh the pros of being a solo physician. If you go into podiatry school you need to know many are still solo physicians and you need to be aware of what it takes to open and run your own office,

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure our “leaders” will blame the decrease on the truth tellers. They will also tell us we should should promote our profession endlessly to high school and college students….oh wait they already do.

Podiatry is not going to change significantly from a few years of decreased enrollments (It will take a couple decades of significantly reduced enrollments). If you are a prospective student, don’t think this is your chance for things to be great in the job market now that enrollment is down……you will probably avoid a horrible residency, but you still need to be prepared to face a horrible job market. While avoiding the stress of not having enough residencies is a positive, it will not correlate to the job market. Most now feel the cons outweigh the pros of being a solo physician. If you go into podiatry school you need to know many are still solo physicians and you need to be aware of what it takes to open and run your own office,
No disagreement. There aren't 300 hospital/ortho/MSG jobs a year. Private practice, where most people end up, contains both (a) a generally horrible culture ie. abuse / low pay / high buyin (b) but also continued deteriorating reimbursement. Insurances companies aren't going to start valuing our services just because one year there were 200 fewer of us one time.

No disagreement. There aren't 300 hospital/ortho/MSG jobs a year. Private practice, where most people end up, contains both (a) a generally horrible culture ie. abuse / low pay / high buyin (b) but also continued deteriorating reimbursement. Insurances companies aren't going to start valuing our services just because one year there were 200 fewer of us one time.
Agree

To be fair it is not completely the schools and leaders fault that solo practice is becoming less desirable (they have not done much to help either) but that does make the profession even less desirable to potential students......a poor solo physician environment combined with few good jobs.

Also there a couple thousand well trained practicing podiatrists willing to take those good jobs....this is why the job market will not be good for potential students when they finish residency anytime soon. As solo practice continues to decline more and more existing podiatrists will apply for those jobs.

It is not even impossible that the job market could be even worse for 10 years following these reduced classes finiishing residencies. The demand of podiatry will not go up much over this time period like it does for other healthcare professions. If more existing podiatrists are willing to leave PP for good jobs then there will be increased competition for these jobs and less PP jobs available also. Sure after 30 years of class sizes half of what they are now the market could be completely different, but for a potential student entering podiatry school over the next 10 years do not expect things to change when you enter the job market.....if it is better than you expected great, but do not expect it.

Last edited:
After reading these threads I feel like I should drop before my tuition goes in and make that number 349...
It's actually extremely nerve-wrecking to see that there won't even be half the seats filled. The school's FB page I am in is at least like 90% of the usual accepted class size taking faculty and 2nd years into account.
Would it be better to just work a lab technician job until I get in to any medical school or something? I don't see how this profession is going to even exist with the overall sentiment and decreasing numbers in 30 years time.

After reading these threads I feel like I should drop before my tuition goes in and make that number 349...
It's actually extremely nerve-wrecking to see that there won't even be half the seats filled. The school's FB page I am in is at least like 90% of the usual accepted class size taking faculty and 2nd years into account.
Would it be better to just work a lab technician job until I get in to any medical school or something? I don't see how this profession is going to even exist with the overall sentiment and decreasing numbers in 30 years time.
We try our best to be honest and inform students about the pros and cons of podiatry…….honesty though the profession Is not going away and decreasing numbers are a good thing

Yes people complain about all professions, but unfortunately it is true there is more to legitimately complain about with podiatry than many other professions

There are not enough orthopedic surgeons doing forefoot surgery and not nearly enough with fellowships in foot/ankle to do it either…….so podiatry is needed, at least to an extent in the healthcare market and not all our services can be easily duplicated by others, even if most can

The main problem is podiatry schools are saturating the market and the demand is pretty steady and does not increase much for podiatry beyond retiring podiatrists. Some other healthcare professions have had an explosion in demand.

Podiatry can be a good profession…..too bad it is not more of a guarantee though for all immediately after they finish residency. For the time and money involved and demand for other healthcare professions this part of the profession is a definite major “buzz kill”.

It is less of a guarantee than MD, DO, CRNAs, NP, PAs, and I would say Caribbean MDs also if you are a pretty good at standardized tests (they will take anyone and you need to be honest with self If can pass boards)

The decreased enrollment will help with getting a better residency, but the job market in podiatry will still be as we have discussed when you finish your residency.

Most would say maybe take a year to increase your MCATs, possibly get a masters if a school told you personally you would probably be admitted if you completed it at their school and did well …….if you don’t get into MD or DO school after one or two years max, then decide the pros cons of podiatry versus other options. If you were not a borderline candidate then all this does not apply. I hate to admit it, but most in podiatry school are less than borderline candidates. If you are unsure if you are a borderline applicant and what your deficits are, then talk to admissions,

If you are not a borderline applicant (most applicants) to MD or DO school, an older applicant or possibly if you were interested in and researched podiatry more than a few months before applying then decide now the pros/cons for you and podiatry versus NP, PA, Caribbean MD etc

I would say the vast majority on here have no agenda against the schools or future students. We are just having some friendly banter (most of the times), and giving honest advice based on our own experience.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
I know there are a lot of ways to view this new information (downward spiral) - but really, for the most part, nothing has changed. The career always had poor return on investment. Job opportunities were meh. We still cut nails. The schools are overpriced. Scope is a battle. Nursing careers offer better stability, money, career growth etc. The only thing that has changed is you've received a solid indicator that no one is interested in your career path. But you wanted it right? You went to the schools and told them you did. Consider the following. You match at your #1 residency. You are happy. Everyone is nice to you. Then you find out that in fact you were their last choice. Yes, its complicated. You could feel like you aren't wanted. But you got what you wanted? Shouldn't you just be happy? The additional information shouldn't change your motivations. Now let's pretend you are Elon Musk. You love Twitter and want to buy it. Ok - jk. I'm going to stop.

Nothing has changed. I am attempting to be tongue in cheek. If it was so great a month ago you should still love it. But the simple truth is most people going into this career are lying. All that talk about a podiatrist helped me or "I love that you can instantly make people feel better" is just fluff.

Reactions: 5 users
I consider myself to be extremely lucky for the salary I make but I don’t love podiatry. I wasn’t going to get into MD/DO school and I didn’t really consider Caribbean programs. There are days I wonder if I should have looked at them or the Atlantic bridge program.
I’m in my 40s and podiatry gives me a comfortable live but I would not recommend it to my kids.

The problem with podiatry is that a lot has changed over 30 years. We have practicing podiatrists from all different generations and educational backgrounds. I would say podiatry education and residency training has significantly improved over the course of 30 years but it does not change the fact that we CURRENTLY have podiatrists practicing with 0-4 years of residency/fellowship training.

This creates a "podiatry stew" and it is extremely confusing to the public and other medical specialties to gauge what we really do because one podiatrist down the street just cuts toenails and peddles orthotics and the podiatrist in the other direction is a "reconstructive fellowship trained foot and ankle surgeon" but really podiatrist. People become suspicious of such behavior and don't give us the respect we deserve.

Another issue with podiatry is the infighting. We have two separate boards now going at each other ABFAS vs ABPM. We have national governing bodies which don't really communicate with each other such as the CPME vs APMA vs ACFAS vs ASPS. They all kind of do their own thing. Then we have subspecialties of podiatry such as forensic podiatry, sports medicine podiatry, etc which does their own thing.

Since we have so many different kinds of podiatrists practicing some podiatrists will feel excluded because their education and training is not as good as it is today and they have been left behind. So what do podiatrists do when they feel excluded? They create new organizational groups, new board certifying bodies, etc etc etc. Continuing to confuse the public and other medical specialties what we really are all about.

All of this would go away if podiatry schools would let themselves be regulated by same governing bodies that oversee MD/DO education. Then podiatry students would sit for the USMLE instead of the APMLE. Then our residencies would be regulated by the ABMS. We would see a clean sweep of crappy podiatry schools, bad teachers, bad deans, bad residencies programs. It would be swift. Unfortunately if podiatry committed to this route we most assuredly would become a non surgical entity forever.

So again the profession is a complete $hit $how. As a podiatry student I was completely oblivious to all of this. Going through podiatry education it really felt legitimate. Then when you get past years 1-2 of academics and slowly matriculate into years 3-4 where you are doing general medicine and surgery rotations you see how far behind you are compared to MD/DO students in terms of medical knowledge. Then you realize you have been duped. Then you go into residency and realize how far behind you are compared to other residents in different specialties and then you realize your education was a complete fraud. Sure you know how to operate on foot and ankles but your fundamental understanding of medicine is terrible and you missed that window to really master it. You are no different than a glorified carpenter at this point. This is why MD/DO don't respect us. Because they know they can't have a real conversation with us about patient care because our fundamental understanding of medicine is terrible.

As a practicing podiatrist its extremely challenging to be proud of my profession because the podiatrists who represent our profession really don't care about each other and everyone is trying to do their own thing.

I consider myself to be extremely lucky for the salary I make but I don’t love podiatry. I wasn’t going to get into MD/DO school and I didn’t really consider Caribbean programs. There are days I wonder if I should have looked at them or the Atlantic bridge program.
I’m in my 40s and podiatry gives me a comfortable live but I would not recommend it to my kids.
Same sentiment as you regarding the above. I work so my family can live comfortably. I forbid my children from doing this. Period. But I’m sure we all know certain pods who got their own kids into a residency program or job via their buddy connection…..

Reactions: 2 users
Same sentiment as you regarding the above. I work so my family can live comfortably. I forbid my children from doing this. Period. But I’m sure we all know certain pods who got their own kids into a residency program or job via their buddy connection…..
I haven’t forbid them yet they are super young they don’t know the difference between the types of doctors. Though my daughter made a comment the other day I need to go back to school to be a full body doctor. 😒

• Care
Your cavus lectures will continue on in perpetuity sir

Kaiser...cough cough....Kaiser San Leandro

Friends, countrymen, podiatrists, students who are thinking pod - lend me your ears:

This is a terrible profession. I left a hospital gig that I was well established at and transitioned to private practice due to family move.

Great decision for my family, terrible decision for my career. Think busy volume surgical practice to now the occasional surgery and explaining to ER docs that podiatrists now train in hospitals while getting nothing in return. Now that I am in private practice, I understand why (most) podiatrists are so slimy. It is rough out there. Think ingrown nails purposefully being performed poorly, in order to keep patients "plugged" in. While I am proud that I am able to provide good care for any pathology I see, the burn out is real. Practicing ethically, TRYING to see pathology you were trained to see, and explain and having to re explain to other professionals just what it is exactly that we do is well... exhausting; meanwhile duking it out with insurance companies and other podiatrists (who may or may not be good folks).

Folks like the PM news circuit or the podiatry cheerleaders are making their income in other ways off this profession; they absolutely are not making income is through private practice. The few that do have good jobs won't speak ill or create a ruckus - don't want to a ruin a good thing. Can't blame them, but we can blame our governing and national bodies - APMA/ACFAS/CPME etc.

I sympathize and empathize with all of you. I now understand. Completely.

Also, newfeet: don't feel bad. I had my own father tell me I made a terrible career choice a few days ago, said I should consider re-applying to med school or PA school if I find private practice rough. OUCH.

Friends, countrymen, podiatrists, students who are thinking pod - lend me your ears:

This is a terrible profession. I left a hospital gig that I was well established at and transitioned to private practice due to family move.

Great decision for my family, terrible decision for my career. Think busy volume surgical practice to now the occasional surgery and explaining to ER docs that podiatrists now train in hospitals while getting nothing in return. Now that I am in private practice, I understand why (most) podiatrists are so slimy. It is rough out there. Think ingrown nails purposefully being performed poorly, in order to keep patients "plugged" in. While I am proud that I am able to provide good care for any pathology I see, the burn out is real. Practicing ethically, TRYING to see pathology you were trained to see, and explain and having to re explain to other professionals just what it is exactly that we do is well... exhausting; meanwhile duking it out with insurance companies and other podiatrists (who may or may not be good folks).

Folks like the PM news circuit or the podiatry cheerleaders are making their income in other ways off this profession; they absolutely are not making income is through private practice. The few that do have good jobs won't speak ill or create a ruckus - don't want to a ruin a good thing. Can't blame them, but we can blame our governing and national bodies - APMA/ACFAS/CPME etc.

Also, newfeet: don't feel bad. I had my own father tell me I made a terrible career choice a few days ago, said I should consider re-applying to med school or PA school if I find private practice rough. OUCH.
My dad thought it was terrible from the beginning. He changed his mind of the white coat ceremony he got trick by a speech by a Lt. Colonel DPM. Not going to lie having him tell me it wasn’t a bad idea help me get through pod school.

I made a similar move to a completely non surgical role at medical school. Wife is happy. Kids seem fine but I’m not sure I will have much a career here unless I get deep into the system and Ortho is anti podiatry. The issue with Ortho is a new thing for me. Luckily I’m in the medicine dept.

The problem with podiatry is that a lot has changed over 30 years. We have practicing podiatrists from all different generations and educational backgrounds. I would say podiatry education and residency training has significantly improved over the course of 30 years but it does not change the fact that we CURRENTLY have podiatrists practicing with 0-4 years of residency/fellowship training.

This creates a "podiatry stew" and it is extremely confusing to the public and other medical specialties to gauge what we really do because one podiatrist down the street just cuts toenails and peddles orthotics and the podiatrist in the other direction is a "reconstructive fellowship trained foot and ankle surgeon" but really podiatrist. People become suspicious of such behavior and don't give us the respect we deserve.

Another issue with podiatry is the infighting. We have two separate boards now going at each other ABFAS vs ABPM. We have national governing bodies which don't really communicate with each other such as the CPME vs APMA vs ACFAS vs ASPS. They all kind of do their own thing. Then we have subspecialties of podiatry such as forensic podiatry, sports medicine podiatry, etc which does their own thing.

Since we have so many different kinds of podiatrists practicing some podiatrists will feel excluded because their education and training is not as good as it is today and they have been left behind. So what do podiatrists do when they feel excluded? They create new organizational groups, new board certifying bodies, etc etc etc. Continuing to confuse the public and other medical specialties what we really are all about.

All of this would go away if podiatry schools would let themselves be regulated by same governing bodies that oversee MD/DO education. Then podiatry students would sit for the USMLE instead of the APMLE. Then our residencies would be regulated by the ABMS. We would see a clean sweep of crappy podiatry schools, bad teachers, bad deans, bad residencies programs. It would be swift. Unfortunately if podiatry committed to this route we most assuredly would become a non surgical entity forever.

So again the profession is a complete $hit $how. As a podiatry student I was completely oblivious to all of this. Going through podiatry education it really felt legitimate. Then when you get past years 1-2 of academics and slowly matriculate into years 3-4 where you are doing general medicine and surgery rotations you see how far behind you are compared to MD/DO students in terms of medical knowledge. Then you realize you have been duped. Then you go into residency and realize how far behind you are compared to other residents in different specialties and then you realize your education was a complete fraud. Sure you know how to operate on foot and ankles but your fundamental understanding of medicine is terrible and you missed that window to really master it. You are no different than a glorified carpenter at this point. This is why MD/DO don't respect us. Because they know they can't have a real conversation with us about patient care because our fundamental understanding of medicine is terrible.

As a practicing podiatrist its extremely challenging to be proud of my profession because the podiatrists who represent our profession really don't care about each other and everyone is trying to do their own thing.
I see on a regular basis how valuable podiatry is to America's healthcare today. We absolutely have a vital role to play and know feet better than anyone else. I will admit it's not rocket science, and it shouldn't take an across the board 3 year residency, but at least in my city foot pathology is overlooked and mismanaged by many MD's, DO's, PA's and NP's. If our profession did not exist there would be significantly more amputations and foot morbidity. I do agree that the economics don't support the cost of getting the training. With inflation recently and reimbursements not keeping up, it's killing the viability of the profession. But again I may not have the medical knowledge of MD's, but they surely don't have the foot knowledge that we do and they need us. Why are our waiting rooms so full if it's such a bad profession? If we would just be happy being podiatrists and not try to be something we're not, we would survive just fine. We need to move more to the dental model.

For the private practice guys who aren't exactly killing it, what does a typical day look like? Are you seeing 20+ patients per day and still struggling? Can you cram all the patients you have in the morning so you at least have the afternoon off?

Great post and I agree with just about all of it.

I am curious why you think podiatry would become non-surgical if regulated by USMLE though?

I want to remind everyone to follow and adhere to the SDN TOS, found here: Our Community Vision, Values, and Policies - SDN

We can all have our opinions and post about them as long as they do not violate any of the rules of our TOS. The moderation team will edit and warn anyone not adhering to the said rules. Please be professionals, learn to ignore, and report anything against the TOS.

I want to remind everyone to follow and adhere to the SDN TOS, found here: Our Community Vision, Values, and Policies - SDN

We can all have our opinions and post about them as long as they do not violate any of the rules of our TOS. The moderation team will edit and warn anyone not adhering to the said rules. Please be professionals, learn to ignore, and report anything against the TOS.
nobody is violating the rules. You are just censoring our posts because we don't agree with Lee Rogers

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
nobody is violating the rules. You are just censoring our posts because we don't agree with Lee Rogers

I am not censoring anyone or anything. Compared to the other threads on this site, we let many things 'slide' when it comes to moderation in the Pod forum. That said, no one has to agree or disagree with a particular user as long they are within the TOS.

Do you have any proof of what you stated? I read the decrease in the number of applicants but did not see anything about a proposal to open another school. Please post proof here or send me a PM. Otherwise, we may lock this thread since we have a similar thread about the Tx program.

I don’t know if I agree or disagree with Lee Rogers but I think I’m leaning towards a “some men just want to watch the world burn” position when it comes to the new schools and the board fights. I’m just watching the show.

I don’t know if I agree or disagree with Lee Rogers but I think I’m leaning towards a “some men just want to watch the world burn” position when it comes to the new schools and the board fights. I’m just watching the show.

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if we all could sit back and enjoy the show? Yet, here I am on call after an 80 hr week, dealing with the derailings in our forum.

Going back to the original post, I also remember seeing a job posting at the LECOM school last year, but nothing concrete, as posted by Mr.Smile12 above. I hope it's a rumor because no one here wants new podiatry school openings yearly (like the DO ones).

I'm a DO. You can PM me if you want. I looked into Podiatry extensively before I got in and used to be active here.

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if we all could sit back and enjoy the show? Yet, here I am on call after an 80 hr week, dealing with the derailings in our forum.

Going back to the original post, I also remember seeing a job posting at the LECOM school last year, but nothing concrete, as posted by Mr.Smile12 above. I hope it's a rumor because no one here wants new podiatry school openings yearly (like the DO ones).
The real question going forward is - is this dip in matriculation the new normal. If the non-TX cohort of schools can really only matriculate 350ish students (and then likely graduate/match 80%) then there's going to be a lot of things to consider that haven't been in the past. It won't matter that TX doesn't open any new residencies. It seems feasible one of the larger schools could close(?). Anyone considering opening a school in the face of collapsing interest will look very foolish. Residencies are going to shut down, hopefully bad one's but not necessarily, because no one's going to keep spots open if they can't match students year after year. I'm personally of the opinion many programs should "lose a spot, add an attending". That said - I suspect maximum viability for students is Graduates/Programs should equal ...85-90% so that most programs are filled but there's room for people to change programs. We're going to be way less than that. A good place to be for students for the first few years, but an unexpected environment at some point after that.

We can give our opinion if we want. You guys are straight up trying to censor posters.

We are not. We are trying to make a place for everyone to share their thoughts without being belittled by other users.
If a user has something to add to the first post, positive or negative, then share; otherwise no need to make inflammatory/derogatory posts of any kind. I welcome disagreements as long as they are polite and not breaking the TOS. Also, if you state something and can back it up, then do that; otherwise, this all becomes he said/she said situation.

Anyone breaking the TOS will be given warnings.

I'm glad for you concerning the family part but obviously the rest is a hellish shell shock. If you were successful in the hospital you will ultimately achieve some measure of success in private practice but it will be much less lucrative. On a daily basis, I find myself looking at reimbursement and thinking - "I just wish I could get paid what I got paid 3 years ago." You can't listen to anyone on here posting there perspective about what's valuable in PP or how easy it will be to make $X00,000 in collections. Each of us is trapped in our own specific, regional nightmare. Everyone has to find their own way to adapt, adjust, overcome.

Reactions: 4 users
This is why I offer to rub some lotion on for an extra 5 bucks at the end of the visit.

Reactions: 2 users
This is why I offer to rub some lotion on for an extra 5 bucks at the end of the visit.

So your the one that stills does that. I love it when I cut toenails that don’t meet Medicare guidelines but the hospital books it anyway and at the end of the appointment the patient demands for cream be rubbed on their feet.

The dremel & foot cream still haunt my practice.

For @ChartingChad or others wondering, yeah, podiatry is pretty all over the board.

@CutsWithFury is right, there are DPMs with anywhere from 0 to 4+ years of residency/fellow training out there practicing.
There are some who basically just cut nails, others do a lot of wound/pus/amp stuff, others do mainly sports/ortho stuff. Many do it all.
If you seek the good training, you have phenomenal skills, but here isn't nearly enough of that high level DPM training to go around.

That irregularity can be used to your advantage. You can make podiatry into basically whatever you want it to be.
For example, when I started school, I had little idea DPMs even did RRA (the ones I shadowed just did basic office and maybe forefoot a hospital weekly/monthly). When I learned more of it in school, it was interesting and I wanted to have the most to offer patients... simply worked hard to find that training. There are all kinds of paths and all kinds of practice situations due to the irregularity of training and of practice types.

My exp has not been like that of @malleolusman ... while some of the hospital jobs are good, a lot of the "best parts" are benefits (which may or may not be too valuable to you... largely dependent on if you're healthy, if you have a financially competent spouse/partner, and if you have family). And yes, if anyone thinks it's sour grapes, I get interview invites or call backs from most hospitals I've applied to... I have had those jobs and been competitive for them. Personally, I value the better hours, no call, fair amount of autonomy better. I didn't care to have my scope/referrals limited by the hospital/dept and not my training. I don't want to lose all of A, C, D and E cases since Dr. X does those at some hospital. I mainly didn't like the admin stuff and so much wasted time, mandatory call. I hated having about 4% decision power and voice regarding staffing or tech or supplies quality/amounts for the clinic I worked in every day... and watching some RN or MBA or MD screw those up royally time after time or have nothing happen due to copious heapings of bright red tape. Any employed job - hosp or PP or any - is only as good as the boss/admin. Hospitals have such a ridiculous number of admins or wannabe admins that some are sure to be low quality... and even the good ones are limited by bureaucracy.

PP will be allllll over the board, as it can be in many specialties. This is why many DPMs say hospital/MSG is the way to go and PP is stupid: there are some horror stories. In PP, there might be those DPMs seeing 20-30 per day and making 100k with a bad contract/owner/setup, and there are others seeing that same volume and making over 300k with a better system and better contract. A lot depends if you have decent payers and good resources to use for pts and collections (DME, diag tests, OTC products, ... maybe path lab, advanced wound cares, etc). The autonomy is key, though... you can cultivate the types of referral patterns you like in many areas; you simply make personal relationships with the PCPs and maybe your colleagues also. I have the odd day when I have more than 2 or 3 toenail care pts (which my assistants do 90% of the encounter) on my whole day's schedule... those are actually a rare welcomed break encounters that are also easy to chart (vs a revision surgery consult or something). I still have the backup and support from the owners/admins on how to boost my revenues or get marketing in areas I want. I enjoy it, but that's just me.

GL, you can do quite well in podiatry or many specialties.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.