Open residency positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneTwoStep

Reaction score
Question for current residents and attendings involved in residency programs. Does anyone know of any open incoming pgy-1 positions other than the ones listed on the AACPM site? Apparently, that list is terribly inaccurate (as evidenced by the responses I have received from the listed programs). I was under the impression that there is a surplus of available positions (PMSR/RRA, not the 6 PMSR only programs listed) but can't seem to find any. Appreciate any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Question for current residents and attendings involved in residency programs. Does anyone know of any open incoming pgy-1 positions other than the ones listed on the AACPM site? Apparently, that list is terribly inaccurate (as evidenced by the responses I have received from the listed programs). I was under the impression that there is a surplus of available positions (PMSR/RRA, not the 6 PMSR only programs listed) but can't seem to find any. Appreciate any insight!
Good to know that this open residency position argument being peddled is actually a falsehood lol.

As far as I know that's the only website that provides that kind of detail.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know that this open residency position argument being peddled is actually a falsehood lol.

Our profession is riddled with deception and dishonesty? Well I'll be...

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
List is usually outdated.
Only way I found out was internally through colleagues.

This is a sad situation... sorry to hear of it.

If you are on good terms maybe reach out to your schools Dean or Academic Coordinator etc? They may have a better read, or have connections to get you in somewhere.
Yes, I'd take this angle... meet with your school admins asap (it will ultimately look bad on them if you get no residency and/or default on loans, so they have reason to help). Call APMA/CPME for more accurate listing.

Keep calling programs directly. If you are US citizen and passed student boards pt1 and pt2, there should definitely be somewhere (smart money says NYC)... just take anything and then start looking to transfer to a better program if you find you scrambled into a junk one. You want to get in this year if at all possible (just be prepped to transfer for pgy2 if needed)... there is a definite stigma to being a past grad trying to match, and the residency situation/shortage will worsen as the new schools begin churning out grads in 2027.

I don't get how this comes to a head now... did your match/scramble program close down suddenly? ...or have you been in scramble for months now without any progress?

Like others, I don't know of anything more accurate or up to date than CASPR/CRIP website or APMA list of approved programs/spots. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

@GreenHousePub @Feli : I did reach out to my dean, but he said the only resource is the AACPM site. He said he'd let me know if anyone reached out to him for a PGY-1. I'll be contacting CPME today.

I am a US citizen, and I did pass part 1 and 2 boards. I had a program back at the end of May/early June, spoke with the director, agreed to a possible delayed start in August, and it seemed like it was going well. I was emailed at the end of June that they had decided to not fill the seat... so that was that.

I saw the other post for New York Community (appreciate the tag, Feli). It is a PMSR program though, so would I be able to transfer to a PMSR/RRA program later or would I be stuck with PMSR? I recall someone saying once a PMSR, always a PMSR, but I'm not sure if that's only if you graduate with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

@GreenHousePub @Feli : I did reach out to my dean, but he said the only resource is the AACPM site. He said he'd let me know if anyone reached out to him for a PGY-1. I'll be contacting CPME today.

I am a US citizen, and I did pass part 1 and 2 boards. I had a program back at the end of May/early June, spoke with the director, agreed to a possible delayed start in August, and it all seemed like it was going ok. I was emailed at the end of June that they had decided to not fill the seat... so that was that.

I saw the other post for New York Community (appreciate the tag, Feli). It is a PMSR program though, so would I be able to transfer to a PMSR/RRA program later or would I be stuck with PMSR? I recall someone saying once a PMSR, always a PMSR, but I'm not sure if that's only if you graduate with it.

You can transfer from a PMSR to an RRA program. You just have to meet the RRA numbers before you graduate (I think it was like 50 cases).

Reactions: 1 users
Humboltd park health in Chicago has a posting listed for residency. It was posted July 5th as an ad online on indeed.