New - Seeking Advice, Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psc2Md

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new to these forums, but am seeking your general input... I've been lurking for a while, never posted. I'll explain my story a bit, and then post my questions.

I've decided to pursue a career in medicine, and have a BA in Political Science. I graduated with a 3.9, summa cum laude, honors, and held several leadership positions, even started a successful club. My resume looks great, and I have tons of comm. service + 3 months in the ER (which I plan on continuing... I also have plans to begin shadowing soon).

I only need pre reqs...Thus, postbacc is the answer for me. I applied to several prestigious programs and was accepted (! was very happy about this); however, I've decided to complete the pre-reqs at my state university in order to save money and live at home + other practical reasons. This is the same University from which I graduated, so I don't forsee ADCOMs questioning "Why the state university?" It has a solid pre-med postbacc program with a high success rate... and lets face it, it's my home University, and I'm confortable with the environment and the student life on campus. Plus, not having to re-locate is a plus right now as I'm already financially strapped.

1) Will this be seen as an "easy way out" even though it is my home University? opinions?

Now here is the other thing I am concerned about - I have only taken one science (bio) and one math in my undergrad. (As in both). The Pre Med advisor at my U has suggested Gen Chem I and II (+labs) over the summer session. I found a Bio in Summer II I want to take, in order to alleviate some of my coursework next year. Next Fall would be: Physics I, Orgo I, and another Bio (all +labs). Spring would be: Physics II, Orgo II, and some other science elective + MCAT prep. This is standard postbacc from what I've heard, but I am so concerned about the workload, plus studying for MCAT.

1) Should I aim for the April MCAT, or take a summer MCAT instead?
2) If I submit my applications by June 2011 (my goal), take the April MCAT, don't like my score, and take it again later in the summer... what happens to my applications? Are they thrown out, because ADCOMs don't know I am planning to retake the test and perform better after more preparing?

Reassuring words from anyone who has done this? Suggestions? Concerns?

Thank you... Sorry this was so long! Im just worried...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all - I'm new to these forums, but am seeking your general input... I've been lurking for a while, never posted. I'll explain my story a bit, and then post my questions.

I've decided to pursue a career in medicine, and have a BA in Political Science. I graduated with a 3.9, summa cum laude, honors, and held several leadership positions, even started a successful club. My resume looks great, and I have tons of comm. service + 3 months in the ER (which I plan on continuing... I also have plans to begin shadowing soon).

I only need pre reqs...Thus, postbacc is the answer for me. I applied to several prestigious programs and was accepted (! was very happy about this); however, I've decided to complete the pre-reqs at my state university in order to save money and live at home + other practical reasons. This is the same University from which I graduated, so I don't forsee ADCOMs questioning "Why the state university?" It has a solid pre-med postbacc program with a high success rate... and lets face it, it's my home University, and I'm confortable with the environment and the student life on campus. Plus, not having to re-locate is a plus right now as I'm already financially strapped.

1) Will this be seen as an "easy way out" even though it is my home University? opinions?

Now here is the other thing I am concerned about - I have only taken one science (bio) and one math in my undergrad. (As in both). The Pre Med advisor at my U has suggested Gen Chem I and II (+labs) over the summer session. I found a Bio in Summer II I want to take, in order to alleviate some of my coursework next year. Next Fall would be: Physics I, Orgo I, and another Bio (all +labs). Spring would be: Physics II, Orgo II, and some other science elective + MCAT prep. This is standard postbacc from what I've heard, but I am so concerned about the workload, plus studying for MCAT.

2) If I submit my applications by June 2011 (my goal), take the April MCAT, don't like my score, and take it again later in the summer... what happens to my applications? Are they thrown out, because ADCOMs don't know I am planning to retake the test and perform better after more preparing?

Reassuring words from anyone who has done this? Suggestions? Concerns?

Thank you... Sorry this was so long! Im just worried...

Ok. I think what would actually help a bit more would be posting this in the non-traditional applicant forum section of SDN. There are probably many more individuals who have had more experience being in your situation than this section. That said, I'll try and answer according to what I believe is true.

Taking them at your state university will have no negative impact, provided you do well. I would take them in a concise fashion, you know your own limits, but if you wish to submit your application as soon as possible, then taking about 16 units a quarter would probably be doable in my opinion. As for studying for the MCAT in addition, that would be tough seeing that you have no background in the required sciences (physics, bio sci, gen chem, ochem). Most of the classes that you listed require labs and I personally don't feel that it requires THAT much studying but being in lecture/lab takes up quite a bit of time and to get a good MCAT score takes dedication/time for the majority of us. You can apply and then send in your MCAT, that is generally not looked down upon but it will hold up the application process till they recieve all the materials required for a "complete application".

I would just take the year off. No sense rushing in only to get all your materials ready halfway into the cycle. You're better off in my opinion, taking all your courses in a concise fashion, building your clinical/E.C. experiences, and obtaining quality LOR from your science faculty and putting in quality time into makin sure you will do well on the MCAT. Getting into medical school is not a race (I'm somewhat of a hypocrite but I know this to be true even if I don't consciously think this) and you should make sure you do everything right the first time rather than do average and waste more time having to reapply or go through SMPs etc. Just my 2 cents.

:laugh: There is no easy way out. The prereqs are extremely standardized material, and everybody has to take the MCAT. You have to do well at both, which makes U of Prestige just as likely to weed you out as U of Cheap. Assume that your very pretty GPA is going to be very much in danger - and if you get lucky and do great in the prereqs, good for you.

That's not a bad suggested schedule. What you want to be proactive about is slowing it down before the drop deadlines, if you find that the material is more than you can handle. You should be able to take an exam and get a score back and still drop the class if you do poorly.

In general, the accelerated sequences (such as summer chem) are for those with good discipline, who don't need help with study skills or managing their time. If this is you, then no worries.

Doing the accelerated 2nd half of chem at the same time as the accelerated 1st half of bio, both with labs, is going to be way more than a full time job, so make sure you have your calendar cleared for that. And again, watch those drop deadlines.

When is your spring term over, and do you have money to spend on MCAT prep? If you have time to do MCAT prep during spring term and you're done with the prereqs before the test date, then you're fine, and April's a great time to take the test. MCAT prep isn't learning but REVIEW and strategy, and depending on your capabilities it's like half of a full time courseload.
Don't plan on retaking the MCAT. Ever. Prep right and take it once. Most people don't gain points in retakes - lots of people lose points. Don't assume you'll do better on a different test date. Delay your test date AND your med school app if your practice MCATs don't indicate that you're ready. Early is good; high numbers are best.

In the AMCAS application you can designate multiple MCAT dates, past and future. Your app wouldn't get thrown out. But don't expect a retake to save your app - that's a rookie mistake.

Start worrying now about:
- volunteering and community service activities
- clinical exposure (volunteering in a clinic)
- faculty recommendations
- your personal essay
- how you're going to afford your application year

You can start an AMCAS app and just not submit it, if you want to see what you're in for. Do lots of reading on SDN to find best practices.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. I think what would actually help a bit more would be posting this in the non-traditional applicant forum section of SDN. There are probably many more individuals who have had more experience being in your situation than this section.
Hardly a nontrad story. Nontrad will send him/her to this forum for info on postbacs...it's the postbac forum...

As far as the heavy courseload -- suck it up. You're clearly academically gifted and hundreds, if not thousands, before you have done the exact same thing and come out bright and shiny on the other side.

I took the MCAT in April of a 1-year formal postbac program. I did not have a choice, as I had a linkage acceptance to keep. I would not recommend it, if you're looking to maximize your score. Yes, the majority of the material is fresh at that point, but in my opinion, success on the MCAT depends more on practicing -- and thus knowing -- the intricacies of the test rather than memorizing all the minutia.

Take your spring finals, then study like a bat out of hell for the June MCAT. Send in your AMCAS materials while you wait for your score, then update your AMCAS with your MCAT score as soon as you receive it. You'll have a complete application early enough to garner the associated advantage.

Jslo85 – Thanks for the advice – I plan on holding about 16 credits at a time. There were times in Undergrad when I had 18-21, but that was political science and not pre-med, so kind of a different beast altogether. More papers, less exams. As DrMidlife pointed out, I should carefully assess my course load before the drop/add period ends... something I’ve never worried about before, but am slightly worried about this time around! I hear you about taking a year off... but at that point I would have two years between completion of courses and med school vs. just the glide year. I will have to reassess as the time is closer, but if all is going well I hope to *try* to submit by next summer... this is, of course, ideal.

DrMidlife – Spring term is over by early May – graduation is usually the first or second week, so it may actually be over by the last week in April. I do have money saved that I now plan on putting toward this whole process. My U arranged a discount with a Kaplan program for the MCAT, so I was strongly considering this.

NewmansOwn – I suspected as much regarding familiarity with exam structure/intricacies and the MCAT. Do you think it would it be best to enroll in a prep course while taking the spring schedule, or simply review and practice on my own for all of May? From what I’m reading, June is really the latest I want to take the MCAT...

Thank you all for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated!