New Third Year Pre-Med - Advice Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a third year pre-med student. Aside from grades, which are not the best (I know, I know, I'm improving), can someone shed some light in terms of how to make me a more competitive applicant? :)

Here's what I do:
Major - Biology
EMT-B for 1 year and current
Medical scribe in an outpatient facility
E-board of a fraternity that I absolutely love that is related to medicine
Research Assistant in Psychology
Teaching Assistant in about 3 courses (one was the social sciences, the other was a science, and the last a non-science course) - not currently a TA, these were past semesters
Volunteering at an animal shelter (personal interest, huge animal lover)

I'm going to take my MCAT at the end of this academic year. Also, my grades weren't the best before I became involved in things, and aren't a result of the ECs I do. I just struggled with finding a way to study but have finally found a way that works. Everything that I do in my ECs has been from genuine interest, but wondering if that's not enough, or if there are other things I can do. I'm definitely interested in a lot of different things, one major one being political science, and often think of entering a political internship, but worry this might seem odd as an applicant. Also, with the MCAT approaching in May, I feel maybe I should focus on what I'm doing now and studying. Thoughts, or am I not a strong enough applicant, and should do more?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your ECs look good. Continue with your medicine-related ECs (if they don't interfere with studying) and do whatever you can to raise your GPA and get a high MCAT. This is far more important than your major, other activities, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
While ECs are super important and it looks like you have a lot of great ones, they won't really matter if you don't have acceptable stats. I can only go off of what you've written in your original post, but if you claim your stats are low I recommend definitely not getting involved in anything else and just focusing on raising your GPA and doing well on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user