New to SDN-Intro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishRN2doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum so I wanted to say hi and tell my story so that is over and done with.

I am 28 years old and work as an ER nurse. I was someone who had the childhood dream of being a doctor. Being the first person in my family to graduate high school, I didn't have a lot of guidance.

Not having the confidence that I could make my dream come true right out of college, I went in undecided and started taking business classes at the recommendation of a lot of family because it would "make money".

Business classes were incredibly boring and not being interested, effort was not strong and GPA suffered. After earning an associate's, I switched to fitness management, as I loved fitness and wanted to own and run my own gym. My love of improving others health forced into the wrong outlet.

Had great grades in my fitness classes and graduated. Worked in the industry for a few years and was largely unfulfilled. I went back for an accelerated second bachelor's in nursing as a way to "do more".

I've been an ER nurse for 2 years and although I enjoy it, I am still wondering "what if" and still have the desire to do more. I want to become a doctor and make my dream come true. I now have the confidence to make it happen.

I am single, no kids and feel I have a golden opportunity to give this 100% and never have to wonder what could have been. I've always been altruistic and want to make a difference in as many lives as possible by being a doctor.

Long story over...

I had a 3.46 cGPA after an associate's and 2 bachelor's degrees. This involved 4 C's (mostly in business classes from the beginning), 2 D's (one class was retaken and earned an A), 1 F (retaken with a W, retaken again and A), and 3 W.

Anyway, strong upward trend on my grades and for my nursing degree I was inducted into Sigma Theta Tau, the national nursing honor society.

I will not allow my past academic mistakes to derail my dream. I am taking Intro to Biology at Northwestern right now, followed by an Intro Algebra (mine is >5 years old) as I apply to the Northwestern Post Bacc Pre Med program.

I have not done the AMCAS or AACOMAS GPA calculators. It's not easy with having 228 attempted hours in 7 years worth of college. I know it will be slightly lower on AMCAS.

Willing to go DO, as DO sounds like an interesting approach.

If anyone has any questions or ideas, feel free to express them. I am trying to cover all my bases and make this happen. This site has been an amazing base of information.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user