New to SDN, Wondering about my chances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruinette32590

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just sent my primary application to AACOMAS (that's kind of early, right?) and am making myself sick thinking about what my chances are. I just want to be prepared so BE HONEST about what you think might happen:

MCAT: 9P/7V/11B Writing: R= 27R

3.34 overall/3.07 sci
Bio: B,B,B-, B+
Gen Chem Lectures: A, B, B, Lab: C
Org Chem Lectures: B, B+, Lab: C
Biochem Lecture: C Biochem Lab: B+
Physics: A, A, B

Took a lot of upper division science courses in Physiology that brought down my GPA quite a bit but hopefully they will appreciate that I took on a heavy courseload. Most of my poor grades occurred in Junior year, whereas my best grades were Senior year.

Did research with a well-known doctor on Emergency Response in LA and how it can be improved for 2 years (+ LOR).
Volunteered in the hospital all 4 years college, through a program that assesses the bedside manner of medical residents. Also shadowed residents.
Tutored and taught science to inner city kids for a year.
Was in student government for 2 years in high leadership positions.
Volunteered at a nursing home for a while and will be shadowing a geriatric doctor (MD) next week.
Just started a volunteer job shadowing a DO every week in Pediatric OMM.

No lab research or job experience (since high school, where I did a summer internship).

I'm applying very broadly to quite a few DO schools. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive. Some of the better DO schools may be a reach, but as long as you are on top of your secondaries and you do well with the interviews, you should get in somewhere. Good luck!

Despite the low sGPA, very competetive.

I just sent my primary application to AACOMAS (that's kind of early, right?) and am making myself sick thinking about what my chances are. I just want to be prepared so BE HONEST about what you think might happen:

3.34 overall/3.07 sci

Took a lot of upper division science courses in Physiology that brought down my GPA quite a bit but hopefully they will appreciate that I took on a heavy courseload. Most of my poor grades occurred in Junior year, whereas my best grades were Senior year.

Did research with a well-known doctor on Emergency Response in LA and how it can be improved for 2 years (+ LOR).
Volunteered in the hospital all 4 years college, through a program that assesses the bedside manner of medical residents. Also shadowed residents.
Volunteered at a nursing home for a while and will be shadowing a geriatric doctor (MD) next week.

No lab research or job experience (since high school, where I did a summer internship).

Members don't see this ad :)

3.34 overall/3.07 sci

You are competitive at most DO schools (at least 70%+ of them) so quit fussing.

Thanks for the feedback. So far, I've applied to Touro (CA and NY), LECOMs, PCOMs, AT Still (AZ), Western, AZCOM, DMU, and UNECOM. Do you have any other suggestions of schools I should apply to to increase my chances of getting in this year?