I throw myself at the mercy of the SDN community: Should I probably start looking into an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chuckeecheeze

Reaction score
I am probably a pretty typical non-traditional pre-med.

I am older and did terribly my first 2 years in university. I left school for like 8 years and worked for a fire department for a while, then came back and am now a dean's list student every quarter with a GPA hovering around 3.7 (will go higher probably, as I only have easier upper division classes left in my bio major). Even with a 3.8-3.9 gpa my last 2 years, my overall will probably be like a 3.0. Yes... I did that poorly my first couple of years lol.

I am involved in a research program assisting an underserved demographic in my community a few hours a week, year-round. I'll have a few LOR from my research adviser and some science class professors.

I take the MCAT next May. So like 13 months away, and I have started perusing ANKI decks and Jack Westin CARS and so on.

It's probably like reading the bones or a crystal ball trying to get an idea of if I have a chance without my MCAT, but assuming I get like a 513 or something. Not the best, not the worst. What is the opinion of the SDN senate? Prep for SMP?

Thanks!

I am open to D.O. too.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're open to DO in particular I think you'll probably be fine. Just make sure you get over 3.0, that's a big cutoff. You could consider a SMP if you have a really rough first app.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, as above, I would apply DO. If you were hellbent on USMD, then yeah, some method of improving your GPA would be non-negotiable. But with you being a bit older, why put off your career even longer? The only significant advantage with a USMD is better chances of matching into competitive specialties. That's not nothing, but you almost certainly won't know what specialty is right for you until MS3 anyway. I don't think the extra time investment is worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome! I'll try for a 4.0 my last year and shoot for a high MCAT and then repost.

Thanks for all of the input/advice!

There are also MD schools that are partial to nontrads with good stories like yours. Do well on the MCAT, and you have a shot at these, too. It does make a difference that you have a strong upward trend.

Reactions: 2 users
Will do. the MCAT is going to be a bit of a make or break. I can't get my GPA past more than a 2.95 or so, just because I messed around so much as a kid. And that is with a couple quarters of DIY post bacc.. Impressive, really! lol. So hopefully with a good MCAT score, strong trend and some life experience I can get an interview. Pretty sure if I do not get screened out before having my app reviewed, I will be okay. It is PAINFULLY obvious that the student I was 8 years ago is not the same one applying to medical school. Anyways...

If not, there is always the peace corps.

Thanks for everything! This a fantastic resource.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Best of luck! When you are ready to apply, please come back and we will help you with your school list.

Will do. the MCAT is going to be a bit of a make or break. I can't get my GPA past more than a 2.95 or so, just because I messed around so much as a kid. And that is with a couple quarters of DIY post bacc.. Impressive, really! lol. So hopefully with a good MCAT score, strong trend and some life experience I can get an interview. Pretty sure if I do not get screened out before having my app reviewed, I will be okay. It is PAINFULLY obvious that the student I was 8 years ago is not the same one applying to medical school. Anyways...

If not, there is always the peace corps.

Thanks for everything! This a fantastic resource.
I'm sorry about the grade replacement thing, it was perfect for these types of situations :(

And there is always the sunscreen option if you absolutely can't get in anywhere / be able to incresse GPA... But I would certainly hope that some DO will give you interest with a decent MCAT

I have posted previously as a (very) nontraditional student. I did terribly in school for various reasons 8 years ago. I racked up lots of W's and some D's and F's.

Long story short, I am a new person now with lots of life experiences to share! Unfortunately, some of those life experiences include an anchor of a bad GPA in the past.

Quick Stats:

Last year and a half (50 units) of finishing my B.S. at my state university, I have accumulated a GPA of a 3.8. This includes biochemistry, o chem series, physics and other various upper division biology courses.

On more year (52 units) of undergraduate course work remaining. I should have no issue maintaining this GPA (its a lot easier when you are old and have no life ;)).

Volunteer hours: 300-400 minimum. Probably more, since I was a volunteer firefighter for quite a while and did big brothers big sisters... But not sure if they expire?

Research Hours: 180-200 hours

Shadowing: 50 hours

Clinical Hours: Literally thousands of hours in EMS and in a physical therapy clinic.

Now the reason for SMP...

My cGPA will be 2.95 when I apply. (I have so many units from way back when that a year diy post bacc at a community college only moves this like .03 points with all A's.)
AAMCAS sGPA: 2.85
AAMCOAS: 3.12

MCAT MAY 2024. I am no genius, but not dumb either. So I am assuming I will get an average to slightly above average score.

So, I have accepted that I am going to do a little more than most and do an official SMP. I have been heavily looking at one that has linkage to a program and has 50% of its students accepted into the linked DO school.

My question: Will this SMP make me a more competitive candidate at other MD and DO schools as well?

Thanks!

Volunteer hours never expire, and being a firefighter is a great experience to have on your application. Good luck!