New to the ballgame, help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaveinDallas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, I'm about done with OChem II and new to the applications ballgame.

Are there any books/threads/resources to help get through this?

I'm thinking of taking the Kaplan review over the summer and then the MCAT in August. Depending on results, I'll be applying this November to TCOM Ft. Worth, among others, although that would be my first choice.

Anyone help a newbie out?

Members don't see this ad.

SDN has plenty of resources:

Check out : http://www.studentdoctor.net/guide/index.html

The Kaplan course sounds like a good idea. I would suggest starting your application online as soon as it becomes available (sometime in June I think) and then send it off as soon as you have your MCAT scores, which will take about 6 weeks after the test date...mid September or so.

Have your letters of recommendation ready to go as well so that the only thing you need is your MCAT score.

The sooner you get your application finished and processed, the better your chances of getting early consideration.

Good luck. Stay positive and be persistent.

Originally posted by DaveinDallas
Hi all,

I'm thinking of taking the Kaplan review over the summer and then the MCAT in August. Depending on results, I'll be applying this November to TCOM Ft. Worth, among others, although that would be my first choice.

Applying this november? Applications for the 2005 entering class start this June. You'll be seriously behind if you wait until November to apply to those other schools. Apply early!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Dave,

are you the same DaveinDallas from the chiro forum who was thinking of either going chiro or DO?

Anyway, welcome to SDN ... I hope you find this board a lot more hospitable than the chiro forum :)

You are about to start a long, time-consuming process ... there will be lots of ups, and downs, and definately a lot of waiting

So get warm up, do your stretches, and most importantly, take advice from the internet w/ a grain of salt.

Welcome to the game :)

BTW, in case you were wondering

in the 2000-2001 application season, TCOM (of UNTHSC) received 1,261 applications for an entering class of 121. In 2001-2002 season, TCOM received 1,152 applications for an entering class of 122.

Source: American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Annual Report (2002) - page 20
http://www.aacom.org/data/annualreport/slideshow/index.html

Originally posted by DaveinDallas
Hi all,

DaveinDallas,

I had to apply to med school several time before I could get in, so i could probably give you some suggestions.

First off, have you taken all your Physics and Biology prereqs prior to April 2004? If you just finished OCHEM II, then you have your general and organic prereqs. If so, you may want to consider taking the MCAT in April. I know you want to take the Kaplan review course, so I am guessing that is why you want to wait until august for the mcat. If you put the effort in, you will do very well on the MCAT after taking the review course.

Second, if you are going to take the August MCAT, You may start completing your application online through www.aamc.org (for allopathic), or www.aacom.org (for osteopathic) starting on or around May First. HAVE YOUR APPLICATION READY FOR SUBMISSION ON JUNE FIRST! I would submit the application on June 1st, mainly because the application process takes SO long to complete. You also get your name in the door at the school you wish to apply. They wont interview you until they have a set of MCAT scores, but you can be working on your interview strategies.

Third, START GETTING YOUR LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION NOW! If the professors at your school are like some of the ones at mine, you will be waiting several months to get them in. That will also hold up your application process. Also, most of the DO schools require that an Osteopathic physician write a letter of recommendation. The doc that did mine took almost 4 months to complete mine after I initially asked him.

Fourth, if you have not shaddowed a DO, now is a great time to start looking. You need to get some experience seeing what a DO does in their practice. Knowing the DO philosophy is important too, because every school I applied to asked me to comment on what I thought osteopathic medicine was.

Fifth, if you have not done so, sometimes it helps to read a couple of booklets, books, papers, etc, on the DO history. I dont think it is absolutely necessary, but it helped me to decide why osteopathic medicine was a good fit for me. It can look good in interviews if it seems that you have a good knowledge of the history. But again, its your call.

Sixth, start researching ways to pay for osteopathic schools. They tend to be very expensive. Do a search in the Financial aid forum on this site and it has a great resource of knowledge in this area.

Lastly, I would apply to several osteopathic schools. TCOM is a great school from what I have been told. So if that is where you want to go, that is great. But, research other DO schools and try to find at least two others that you would be happy at. The more schools you apply to, the better your chances (in most cases). It does get expensive to apply to multiple schools, however.

I know that I have rambled here, but this is some stuff that if I would have known ininitially, my peptic ulcers would not have been so bad:laugh:

I would be happy to answer any additional questions or chat some more with you if you need. Feel free to PM me or email me. Good luck in your application process.

Aaron

Originally posted by group_theory
Hi Dave,

are you the same DaveinDallas from the chiro forum who was thinking of either going chiro or DO?

Yep, 'tis me. I really took a step back to reconsider everything prior to jumping off into chiropractic. My wife and I were chatting and all of a sudden she pipes up with,"Do what you want to do. If neurology is your thing, go do it and don't waste the time/money with chiro. Go be a D.O., we'll adapt." Which left me thinking, based on prior conversations,"Who are you and what have you done with my wife." It was almost like an Invasion of the Body Snatchers experience (just kidding, my wife is extremely supportive of everything I do. She's been really good to me).

The advice Aaron Earles gave is exactly what you need to follow. Fill out whatever applications you want as soon as they open. (TMDSAS-May 1st; AACOMAS-June1st; AMCAS-June) Then when you get your MCAT scores, submit everything ASAP.

I am a Texan also, so I know how great TCOM is, but remember you are competing with a lot of applicants, so I strongly suggest that if you are serious about being a DO, you must apply to other schools.

Just don't stress and don't procrastinate, and you will be fine. Good luck...

Apply to OSUCOM as well as TCOM, if you are truly interested in DO, in case you don't get into TCOM, its the closest backup.

The reason I call OSUCOM a "backup" is because you have to pay out of state tuition.

Doesn't OSUCOM accept only a few out of state residents each year? I thought OSUCOM, TCOM, and MSUCOM were pretty much hopeless for out-of-staters.

Check out www.interfolio.com

It's an online portfolio service that keeps all of your letters of recommendation on file and then sends certified copies to the schools of your choice.

It's much better than losing your letters or getting them dirty, and it saves you from the awkwardness of asking people to send several copies of LOR's to several schools...

I really thought it was helpful. You can pm me if you like.

Oh yeah, SEND IN APPS EARLY.

You can download the secondary application for VirginiaCOM now. Whether or not you want to go to that school, you can at least use their secondary essays as good practice. If you come up with good essays for that app, you can pretty much cut-and-paste from that app to all of your other apps. It really helped me out.

$.02: MSU makes you jump through hoops. Out of staters have little chance there. They can fornicate themselves. VCOM has beautiful facilities (brand new). it's worth going to your interview just to see the school. NSU is friggin' sweet. Yes it is.

-NS

YOu must send your application in EARLY!!!!!!!!!! Those of us who have been through this can't stress this to you all enough. It doesn't matter if you are waiting for your MCAT scores, You should still apply in June. They will hold your application waiting for your MCAT, but it will be in the system and you will be ready to go when they get your scores. If the scores are bad than the worst that can happen is you are out the money and get rejected. But you can take the April MCAT and be right back in the ballgame.

Good luck