new to the forum, please help. do i have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny1010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a canadian student applying to U.S dental schools because my GPA is wayy to low for Canadian dental schools. My cGPA and sGPA are 3.2 and my my dat scores so far are TS 23/ PAT 21/ Bio 22/ OC 23/ GC 23/ RC 20/ QR 19/ AA 22

Are my stats good enough to get into a dental school for the 2012/2013 cycle if i apply early WITHOUT having to take a 5th year or do a masters?? i have shadowing experience, EC's also. Im just worried my GPA is wayy too low.

any thoughts?:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

i am a canadian student applying to U.S dental schools because my GPA is wayy to low for Canadian dental schools. My cGPA and sGPA are 3.2 and my my dat scores so far are TS 23/ PAT 21/ Bio 22/ OC 23/ GC 23/ RC 20/ QR 19/ AA 22

Are my stats good enough to get into a dental school for the 2012/2013 cycle if i apply early WITHOUT having to take a 5th year or do a masters?? i have shadowing experience, EC's also. Im just worried my GPA is wayy too low.

any thoughts?:oops:
neither good enough nor bad enough

do you think my stats would be good enough if i rewrote the DAT before applying at got better scores all around? or do you feel the GPA is inevtibly going to make my application average?

Members don't see this ad :)
do you think my stats would be good enough if i rewrote the DAT before applying at got better scores all around? or do you feel the GPA is inevtibly going to make my application average?
Define "good enough" for me please.

good enough to land a few interviews and an accaptance? Because im a canadian student applying to American Dental schools i dont know if my stats are too low to even be considered.

Land one interview? Maybe.
Acceptance? No.

any suggestions then? to make myself more competitive and give myself better odds of getting an accaptance?

any suggestions then? to make myself more competitive and give myself better odds of getting an accaptance?
Start exploring other career options.

Let's not feed the troll. His username just suggests that he was a user previously banned for being an asshat and he just registered recently to annoy the living **** out of people.

Anyways, to the OP, your DAT scores are fantastic, and they will certainly help with your lower than average GPA. I'd be sure to get lots of experience and good reference letters leading up to the application cycle, do some more shadowing, and prep your application in advance (you can start now and save it for next cycle). Submit as early as possible, and apply smartly. Pick up the ADEA guide and see which schools have matriculation averages within your reach. I think your DAT scores will open up more doors than your GPA may initially.

The great thing about how many dental schools there are in the States is that there is normally a fit for nearly any student, and with enough hard work and determination everyone has a fighting chance.

And I know what you mean about Canadian schools. I've been there. :oops:

thats your advice? haha thanks but no thanks. im not going to give up before i even try, maybe thats your style. Its definately not mine.

btw my last post was for the psycologist not the pre dental clean up :)

thats your advice? haha thanks but no thanks. im not going to give up before i even try, maybe thats your style. Its definately not mine.
Being realistic never hurts, eh? Good luck. You will definitely need it.

Let's not feed the troll. His username just suggests that he was a user previously banned for being an asshat and he just registered recently to annoy the living **** out of people.

Anyways, to the OP, your DAT scores are fantastic, and they will certainly help with your lower than average GPA. I'd be sure to get lots of experience and good reference letters leading up to the application cycle, do some more shadowing, and prep your application in advance (you can start now and save it for next cycle). Submit as early as possible, and apply smartly. Pick up the ADEA guide and see which schools have matriculation averages within your reach. I think your DAT scores will open up more doors than your GPA may initially.

The great thing about how many dental schools there are in the States is that there is normally a fit for nearly any student, and with enough hard work and determination everyone has a fighting chance.

And I know what you mean about Canadian schools. I've been there. :oops:
Thank you thats some great advice! did you do your UG from canada too and then apply to the states?

Thank you thats some great advice! did you do your UG from canada too and then apply to the states?

Yep. I went to U of T and I'm applying this cycle. I'm applying to Canadian schools soon too. Have a few interviews from the States so far but hoping for more. My main advice to you is to apply as early as possible. It takes some stress away in waiting for interviews. Good luck! :oops:

Yep. I went to U of T and I'm applying this cycle. I'm applying to Canadian schools soon too. Have a few interviews from the States so far but hoping for more. My main advice to you is to apply as early as possible. It takes some stress away in waiting for interviews. Good luck! :oops:
congrats! thats awsome. thanks and good luck to you too!!

OMGGGG LOL.

Imback you wouldn't happen to be DentistDMD would you? YIKES:eek:

I wouldn't say it takes any stress away at all to apply early. I applied early July, app was mailed 8/12/11 and I haven't heard anything thus far. Trust me, I am stressed! lol

oh man! that doesnt make me feel better haha. can you think of any reason why you wouldnt have gotten any interviews yet? is it your stats? also are you also a canadian student applying to American schools?