This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juk73

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Real talk: I graduated with bachelors in music for undergrad at a private 4-year university with overall 2.65 GPA. Yes, you read that correctly. After my bachelors, I took some pre-requisite science courses at 4-year public university like Gen Bio and Chemistry and still did horrible - ended up never finishing/dropping out from those classes and retook them at local Community College (where I was there full-time and got 4.0 GPA) - and got into Dental Hygiene program accredited through a 4-year university dental school. I wanted to turn things around to possibly have a shot at dental school and graduated with 3.54 GPA from 2-year dental hygiene program.

I am working as a registered dental hygienist right now and fully planning on registering for pre-req classes in next upcoming semester. But before I do that, I wanted to realistically get a grasp on whether if I even have a shot at admission. I have not taken my DAT yet. Pre-req I am planning taking include

General Biology I & II with lab
General Chemistry I & II with lab
Organic Chem I & II with lab
Physic I & II with lab

Possibly:
Anatomy, Physiology and retake Biochemistry (took it through Hygiene program already)

Any thoughts? I truly welcome realistic advices on my situation - whether taking these pretty intensive list of pre-req classes, DAT and application fees, all theses financial investments/time together are worth it.

Thank you so much in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's pretty hard to say without DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven't taken any prerequisites, we can't really tell you about your "chances". That said, do not take your DAT until you have confidently passed the prerequisite classes covered by the exam.

There have been dental hygienists who have gotten into dental school so you can do it. The personal challenges however are yours to address that an anonymous forum won't be in a position to give advice. But if you think it is worth taking the chance, I hope you can go with a lot of support.

Reactions: 1 user
generally DH are looked favorably as DS applicants.

make sure you do really good in all your pre-reqs, all As.

That being said, hygienists are killing it rn. Why switch to a DMD? it will take you at least 2-3 yr to get in then in DS you will have no income for 4yr, and then a large debt and likely will not break even for at least 15 years or so financially. ofc finances are not everything in life

Reactions: 1 user