New to this, just looking for some feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmD hopeful

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I'm fairly new to this amazing Network of forums and I just wanted to get some feedback on some issues I can see forthcoming. I am going through a career change and am currently in school taking some pre-reqs that I didnt have on my transcript from my college years. I I have a BA in Industrial Tech and now am planning to take the PCAT in the summer of '13. I will be taking it without any Oganic Chem or Calculus as I will take those classes over the fall of '13. Is this something feasible? Can it be done with help from Dr. Collins and other study guides? Please help!!!!!! Any information will be truly appreciated.
I have a good background in Chemistry and BIO as Im taking Chem II this semester. Am I able to get what I need from the study guides out there now as far as the Orgo and Calc.
Thank you.
 
Study the basic foundation of ochem and you should be fine for what the PCAT covers; Calculus should not be too hard.

Studying off the guides for 1.5-2 months is more than enough time, but stick to it and stay disciplined.
 
Hello,

I'm fairly new to this amazing Network of forums and I just wanted to get some feedback on some issues I can see forthcoming. I am going through a career change and am currently in school taking some pre-reqs that I didnt have on my transcript from my college years. I I have a BA in Industrial Tech and now am planning to take the PCAT in the summer of '13. I will be taking it without any Oganic Chem or Calculus as I will take those classes over the fall of '13. Is this something feasible? Can it be done with help from Dr. Collins and other study guides? Please help!!!!!! Any information will be truly appreciated.
I have a good background in Chemistry and BIO as Im taking Chem II this semester. Am I able to get what I need from the study guides out there now as far as the Orgo and Calc.
Thank you.

If you're committed to studying, you can absolutely do well on the PCAT without OChem. I took it without taking Chem 1 & 2, OChem, Biochem, and Microbiology (took Calculus 10 years ago).

I couldn't have done so well without Dr. Collins (Khan Academy, YouTube, and Google helped too). His practice tests along with a couple Pearson Practice Tests are excellent tools to help you succeed.

If I can do it with no chemistry and minimal biology background, you can definitely dominate the PCAT. 😎
 
Thank you all for the the advice and insight. I am going to do just that , I will study hard and long and hopefully it will pay off. I greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks again.

PharmD hopeful
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just took the PCAT today. I will tell you this about Organic Chemistry. You can learn it off youtube. When I took the course, I learned it off youtube and pretty much just wrote the test at the University and got an A. I scored 91 preliminary on my chemistry section on the PCAT today.
 
If you haven't ordered Dr. Collins PCAT Self Study, I definitely encourage you to go ahead and do that. I would have to say Dr. Collins is the best studying tool for the PCAT and the Chemistry information is especially spot on. I took the PCAT 3 times; once in September, once in November, and once this past January. For the September and November PCATs I had used Kaplan and was not satisfied and received a 36 and 31 composite, respectively. This past PCAT (January 8th) I scored a 96 composite and my quantitative jumped from an 18 to a 97. My biology was also 97 and my Chemistry was a 99. Study hard, complete all the practice tests, and correct all of your mistakes. And also, after your studying (or maybe even during your studying), take the Pearson pcat practice tests. Those are a good indicator of where you will stand on the actual pcat. Dr. Collins Self Study really is the greatest PCAT studying tool.
 
Last edited: