This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whodamonkeyman?

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a History Major and just got admitted to med school! I have not taken any biology courses except gen bio I and II in my freshman year. In the final semester of my senior year, i have enough room to take two bio courses - which two would be most helpful to take before starting med school?:
Immunology, Genetics, Basic Anatomy and Physiology, or Microbiology?

Any other courses that you recommend in their place? THanks for you help.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats. Well, unless your intro courses in bio were really advanced (most aren't), you will probably have to spend a lot of time studying to keep pace in immuno and genetics - not that it can't be done, but it is your last semester right? Probably you would be best served by micro and physiology. You'll get more anatomy than is imaginable in the next year anyway.

I'd agree. You definitely do not want to jump from gen. bio to Immunology. Basic Anatomy and Phys sounds good enough...it might be a lot of work, but it'll give you a foundation for med. Anatomy. Talk to friends of yours who've taken microbiology or genetics. At my school you'd be okay taking genetics, but microbiology might not be something you want to jump into. Also, look at the levels...take the lower level one. You're alright with 200 level classes (or whatever denotes 2nd year bio classes), but jumping into 300 level from general science is not a good idea.

But in answer to your q...Anatomy is definitely very helpful. The other three are good, but not really essential. I'd say micro more than genetics, and immunology is definitely a plus but is very complicated and seem universally hard to do well in and you wouldn't want that your final semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I would take cell bio if it is offered. It has basic components of genetics, immuno, phys and micro (as well as some biochem)and it is easier to go to straight from general biology than any other course you listed (with the possible exception of genetics). At my undergrad institution, you could not even take phys without having cell bio first. Reason being, cell bio gives you a good background for phys. It will also help (albeit slightly) with histo as well. As I said, I really don't think genetics will be that difficult of a transition from general bio, and micro also shouldn't be that tough of a path to follow, either, but I would definitely take cell bio if it is available.

Yeah, I'd agree that cellular & molecular bio are cornerstones of most other bio courses (with the exception of anatomy). I think you can get away with not taking immuno, anatomy or microbio. So, if I were in this situation, I think I would take cellular & molecular and genetics. From what I have experienced so far, the anatomy is tough, but manageable and there is no presumption of previous knowledge. We don't get to immuno and micro until next year, but I have heard most of mirco is memorization/crammming (no previous knowledge needed) and immuno will probably be taught with a slightly difference emphasis in med school than undergrad. Just my thoughts. Congrats!!

Originally posted by whodamonkeyman?:
•I am a History Major and just got admitted to med school! I have not taken any biology courses except gen bio I and II in my freshman year. In the final semester of my senior year, i have enough room to take two bio courses - which two would be most helpful to take before starting med school?:
Immunology, Genetics, Basic Anatomy and Physiology, or Microbiology?

Any other courses that you recommend in their place? THanks for you help.•••

I'd recommend anatomy/phys and biochem (if you haven't taken biochem yet). I think it's good to have some exposure to biochemistry before entering med school. For some people, it's very overwhelming when they have to really learn biochemistry in med school for the first time. Biochemistry tends to be covered very quickly though. Anatomy and Physiology will probably give you a nice head start. Immunology and microbiology tend to be given during the 2nd year (at least at my school), and by then you'll be settled and undergrad knowledge wouldn't have too much effect.