Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The power of freedom from student loans, I presume? That is, if you truly mean you would decline 100K more to do retail. 100K MORE!
It's quite incredulous someone would claim they wouldn't put up with it.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The power of freedom from student loans, I presume? That is, if you truly mean you would decline 100K more to do retail. 100K MORE!
I did a pgy1 and make 60k more Inpt than my retail offer that I had prior to doing my residency. Maybe this salary variance is regional. Also every resident I know was hired this year in California. Nobody went jobless.
Didn't you know, California is its only country now. Everywhere else, hospital is significantly lower then retail and significantly more boring.
Yes, I definitely think that is just a California phenomenon. A hospital DOP I know in a medium-size town here in GA told me their salary was only around $105k, so in at least some areas of the country, their salaries are WAY lower than their retail counterparts.
A lot of the CA hospitals have a union. They are able to negotiate for above market rate.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Too bad that isn't the case in states other than CA. I know for a fact that in GA (at least outside of Atlanta), even the lowest-paying retail chains (e.g., Publix) start their pharmacists off at ~$30k more than what local hospitals start residency-trained, entry-level pharmacists off at.
I highly doubt thatI think with this saturation, retail pharmacies are going to start requiring community pharmacy residencies just for a regular retail pharmacist position. That's what hospitals did with requiring pharmacy practice residencies for entry level staff pharmacist positions, a job people with BS in Pharmacy had been doing for years.
technically i will (practice makes perfect) - plus is it an easy way to give people a training period that you can fire without all the HR headaches - and you can make your staffing rotation longitudinal - but make it 50% of your hours - a genius way for retail chains to get cheap labor.The value proposition of residency training for retail is virtually non-existent. There is no "clinical vs. staffing" dichotomy in retail. If anything the most significant dichotomy is fast versus slow, which residency training won't redress.
While I agree with you about the value proposition, these retail residencies are a thing and have been for many years. In a profession where so many people seem to have an inferiority complex, don't be surprised if these new pharmacy grads line up around the block for their chance at a "prestigious" residency with CVS or Walgreens.The value proposition of residency training for retail is virtually non-existent. There is no "clinical vs. staffing" dichotomy in retail. If anything the most significant dichotomy is fast versus slow, which residency training won't redress.
I think this may be a thing in the future where retail has residency and if you don't cut it after a year you're gone. Probably not going to happen in areas where it's still tough to staff but other places I can see it. Half pay of a pharmacist for a year to see if you cut it. These retail companies are always looking to cut costs and this would save millions yearly around the country.While I agree with you about the value proposition, these retail residencies are a thing and have been for many years. In a profession where so many people seem to have an inferiority complex, don't be surprised if these new pharmacy grads line up around the block for their chance at a "prestigious" residency with CVS or Walgreens.
I think this may be a thing in the future where retail has residency and if you don't cut it after a year you're gone. Probably not going to happen in areas where it's still tough to staff but other places I can see it. Half pay of a pharmacist for a year to see if you cut it. These retail companies are always looking to cut costs and this would save millions yearly around the country.
I think with this saturation, retail pharmacies are going to start requiring community pharmacy residencies just for a regular retail pharmacist position. That's what hospitals did with requiring pharmacy practice residencies for entry level staff pharmacist positions, a job people with BS in Pharmacy had been doing for years.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.