New Trend: underemployed pharmacists with residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The power of freedom from student loans, I presume? That is, if you truly mean you would decline 100K more to do retail. 100K MORE!

It's quite incredulous someone would claim they wouldn't put up with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I did a pgy1 and make 60k more Inpt than my retail offer that I had prior to doing my residency. Maybe this salary variance is regional. Also every resident I know was hired this year in California. Nobody went jobless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I did a pgy1 and make 60k more Inpt than my retail offer that I had prior to doing my residency. Maybe this salary variance is regional. Also every resident I know was hired this year in California. Nobody went jobless.

Didn't you know, California is its only country now. Everywhere else, hospital is significantly lower then retail and significantly more boring.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't you know, California is its only country now. Everywhere else, hospital is significantly lower then retail and significantly more boring.

Yes, I definitely think that is just a California phenomenon. A hospital DOP I know in a medium-size town here in GA told me their salary was only around $105k, so in at least some areas of the country, their salaries are WAY lower than their retail counterparts.

Yes, I definitely think that is just a California phenomenon. A hospital DOP I know in a medium-size town here in GA told me their salary was only around $105k, so in at least some areas of the country, their salaries are WAY lower than their retail counterparts.

A lot of the CA hospitals have a union. They are able to negotiate for above market rate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

A lot of the CA hospitals have a union. They are able to negotiate for above market rate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Too bad that isn't the case in states other than CA. I know for a fact that in GA (at least outside of Atlanta), even the lowest-paying retail chains (e.g., Publix) start their pharmacists off at ~$30k more than what local hospitals start residency-trained, entry-level pharmacists off at.

Too bad that isn't the case in states other than CA. I know for a fact that in GA (at least outside of Atlanta), even the lowest-paying retail chains (e.g., Publix) start their pharmacists off at ~$30k more than what local hospitals start residency-trained, entry-level pharmacists off at.

Too bad "union" is a dirty word to most Americans.

Reactions: 6 users
I think with this saturation, retail pharmacies are going to start requiring community pharmacy residencies just for a regular retail pharmacist position. That's what hospitals did with requiring pharmacy practice residencies for entry level staff pharmacist positions, a job people with BS in Pharmacy had been doing for years.
I highly doubt that

The value proposition of residency training for retail is virtually non-existent. There is no "clinical vs. staffing" dichotomy in retail. If anything the most significant dichotomy is fast versus slow, which residency training won't redress.

The value proposition of residency training for retail is virtually non-existent. There is no "clinical vs. staffing" dichotomy in retail. If anything the most significant dichotomy is fast versus slow, which residency training won't redress.
technically i will (practice makes perfect) - plus is it an easy way to give people a training period that you can fire without all the HR headaches - and you can make your staffing rotation longitudinal - but make it 50% of your hours - a genius way for retail chains to get cheap labor.

PS I hate the idea - but the CEO's would love it

While I agree with you about the value proposition, these retail residencies are a thing and have been for many years. In a profession where so many people seem to have an inferiority complex, don't be surprised if these new pharmacy grads line up around the block for their chance at a "prestigious" residency with CVS or Walgreens.

While I agree with you about the value proposition, these retail residencies are a thing and have been for many years. In a profession where so many people seem to have an inferiority complex, don't be surprised if these new pharmacy grads line up around the block for their chance at a "prestigious" residency with CVS or Walgreens.
I think this may be a thing in the future where retail has residency and if you don't cut it after a year you're gone. Probably not going to happen in areas where it's still tough to staff but other places I can see it. Half pay of a pharmacist for a year to see if you cut it. These retail companies are always looking to cut costs and this would save millions yearly around the country.

I think this may be a thing in the future where retail has residency and if you don't cut it after a year you're gone. Probably not going to happen in areas where it's still tough to staff but other places I can see it. Half pay of a pharmacist for a year to see if you cut it. These retail companies are always looking to cut costs and this would save millions yearly around the country.

Good idea, and it had been already been done in the past as what they used to do is hire you as a floater with 3/4 pay and float you until you 'promoted' to staff pharmacist. It's actually one of the few things CVS and Walgreens WON'T do anymore as the cost of shrink and corporate sabotage was too much to bear (when you dismotivate employees from the start, you never get any reasonable work out of them later and it definitely showed with that generation). What they try to do is get more work out of you by stringing a carrot so that you're chasing this goal that only a couple get and most leave as suckers.

I think with this saturation, retail pharmacies are going to start requiring community pharmacy residencies just for a regular retail pharmacist position. That's what hospitals did with requiring pharmacy practice residencies for entry level staff pharmacist positions, a job people with BS in Pharmacy had been doing for years.

That's just being hired on at Walmart or Walgreens for <32 hours a week.

Retail already has a probationary period... being a floater and being given low base hours, like 48, 56, 64 hours per biweekly pay period.

With the "goal" being a PIC or staff pharmacist of a ****ty store as most old-timers are hanging on to dear life to their relatively less ghetto/trashy, slow stores, it's not much incentive.