New U Dub procedures & on-line secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW

Grand Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
U Dub has now put their secondary on-line. Beware! Pages and pages of instuctions and forms! (But not that much writing, unless your AMCAS Personal Satement did not cover "the origin and development of your motivation to become a physician," in which case you have to write a supplemental autobiography, in addition to 200 words on "Why UWSOM?" Here's the link: http://rainier.dom.washington.edu/admiss/supplem1.htm
Here's the full text of their e-mail, if you're interested.

TRANSITIONAL APPLICATION TO THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

We have been notified of your intention to apply to the University of Washington School of Medicine for the entering class of 2002. Thank you for your interest in our program. The Office of Admissions will do everything possible to ensure that your application is processed quickly and accurately.

Undoubtedly you have been made aware of the problems occurring with the new on-line AMCAS application. In order to ensure the prompt evaluation of your preliminary file, we would like to ask you to do the following:

1.) COMPLETE AND SUBMIT YOUR AMCAS APPLICATION THROUGH THE WEBSITE.
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/application.htm

Eventually the difficulties with the new system will be resolved. As has been the case for many years, it will be very important for you to have completed your application through the American Medical College Application Service by November 1, 2001. So, if you have not already done so, make every attempt to submit your application to AMCAS as soon as possible. It is not necessary that you receive confirmation of receipt of your application by AMCAS before proceeding as follows:

2.) PRINT THE APPLICATION you submitted to AMCAS for your personal records. Make a copy of the application and send it directly to the UWSOM admissions office
Office of Admissions
A-300 Health Sciences Center
University of Washington
Box 356340
Seattle, WA 98195-6340

Printing: To print your AMCAS application, it is probably best to access the application using Internet Explorer, version 5.5. Applicants using other browsers have reported difficulties. Once you access your application, select ?Print Application? from the menu along the side of the screen. This will cause a window to pop up, showing your application. (Note: This ?pop up? may happen very slowly, with a time indicator to show progress.) After the application has been uploaded completely, you can print it by using either the print icon or the ?File Print? command, making sure to indicate that
you want ?all? forms to print.

Appearance: There may be no paragraph structure in your AMCAS essay, and some other parts of the application may appear to be organized incorrectly.Do not be concerned; the appearance of this document will have no impact on the reading or evaluation of your application. The information in your printed AMCAS application will be reviewed in the
same manner as it would be if transmitted to us electronically by AMCAS.

3.) MCAT SCORES LETTER. Along with your printed AMCAS application, you must include a letter informing us of your MCAT dates and scores (VerbalReasoning, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences and the Writing Sample
should be individually listed for each test taken within the past 3 years. Do not add or average scores, please.). Official MCAT information will be confirmed after we receive your AMCAS application electronically. In the interim, we will use the scores you provide to begin the application review process.

4.) SUBMIT THE UWSOM SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION. You should also send to this office a copy of your supplemental application. This document and instructions on how to fill it out can be found at:

http://rainier.dom.washington.edu/admiss/supplem1.htm

After you complete the supplemental, print it and make a copy. Mail the copy, with a check or money order to cover the $35 application fee, to this office. The instructions for completing the supplemental also outline the
UWSOM?s requirements for letters of recommendation. You should have these
letters sent directly to this office by the writers.
Please read all the instructions on the supplemental website carefully
to ensure that you understand what comprises a complete application. We will begin processing your application as soon as the copy of the AMCAS application, all the items of the UWSOM supplemental application and your MCAT score letter are received. We anticipate that AMCAS will confirm your MCAT scores and course grades, as they have done in the past. At this time, therefore, we are not requesting an official transcript or
MCAT score report. In the event that AMCAS is unable to perform these functions, we may, at a future date, request you to secure these items for transmittal to us.

No applicant will be invited to visit our campus for the purpose of an interview until the above instructions have been fulfilled.

INFORMATION ON THE MEDICAL SCIENTIST TRAINING PROGRAM PROCEDURES

We want all applicants to be aware of our combined M.D.-Ph.D. Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP). If you are interested in a career in medical research, we invite you to read about the MSTP at:
http://www.pathology.washington.edu/~mstp/

Approximately 12 students are admitted to this program each year from all parts of the country. Most successful candidates have extensive research experience. Because of support by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), all MSTP students receive stipends and tuition support for the duration of their enrollment in the program. If you are interested, please submit the preliminary application form, which can be found at:
http://rainier.dom.washington.edu/admiss/mstform.htm
The application process, especially for the MSTP, is lengthy. Be aware that the deadline for all supplemental materials is January 15, 2002.

Unfortunately, the University of Washington is unable to refund fees for incomplete applications. Please feel free to contact Patricia T. Fero, Admissions Officer, at (206) 543-7212 or [email protected] with questions about the M.D. program. For questions about the M.D./Ph.D. Program (MSTP), contact Maureen Levell at (206) 685-0762 or [email protected].

Thank you again for your interest in the University of Washington Schoo of Medicine. If you have any questions concerning your application, please contact the office by writing to [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

have you cleared your residency status yet? they are giving me a bit of a hard time because i cannot verify my pfd elgibility, the pfd is like 10 weeks behind in their processing of apps. :D

I'm applying to the MSTP at UW, but noticed the following on the UW MSTP website:

"Admission to the MSTP at the University of Washington does not require separate
application to the School of Medicine"

This cant be right can it? Its like they are implying all you have to do is send in the MSTP form without applying thru AMCAS to UW.

I'm assuming I'm just misinterpreting what they're saying.

Members don't see this ad :)
jdub, No, I've not cleared the residency hurdle. The PFD folks are auditing me AGAIN!
They do this every year, because I went to school out of state, although it's clearly an allowable absence. GRRRRRRR I think they're closely related to AMCAS!!!!!!!

baylor21, found this on the UDub website. Should clear up your question.

The Medical Scientist Training Program application is available to all qualified U.S. applicants. After the University of Washington School of Medicine receives the
AMCAS application, applicants may obtain an MSTP application by visiting the MSTP web site: http://www.pathology.washington.edu/mstp Applicants who wish to be considered for this program must return the application directly to the MSTP office as soon as possible. Applicants will then be notified as to whethe supplemental materials should be submitted (which would have to reach the MSTP office by January 15, 2002). Applicants should correspond directly with the MSTP Office (see address below).

This came from the main UWSOM Admissions web page.

weird...I got the same email a couple weeks ago, but without the part about filling out the supplemental. I mailed them my AMCAS copy and scores letter, but haven't heard anything since. Anybody else in the same situation?

Baylor

when I read that, I think it meant, you don't have to apply twice to the medical and the md/phd program...

I think it means u DO need through to go through amcas, but for the secondary you only need to turn in only the secondary for mstp...

by the way, I spoke to a u of wash. representative and she said only washington residents can apply, very frew non-washington residents can apply....she/he also said that they take pple from a selected other states....I don't recall texas being one of them?

are u aware of that?

by the wway...

are we talking about u of wash in seatle or st. louis? cuz then one I am talking about is in seatle :D

It's U. of Washington in Seattle we're discussing. The MD/PhD program takes people from all over the country. Only the Regular MD program is restricted to residents of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana & Idaho (WWAMI).

I'm applying to the MD/PhD program at UW, but I havent received the email you got at the top giving the URL link to their secondary.

I was going to go ahead and send it in, but then I noticed that you cant get to their online app directly from their webpage.

That makes me think that they are screening before they want you to do the secondary. Also, if you look on their website, it says that a secondary will be sent to QUALIFIED applicants which makes me think they screen also.

Since I havent heard from them, should I wait or go ahead and send in the secondary with those other forms? Will they just throw it away? By the way, I'm not a Washington or WWAMI resident.

They can't be screening too stringently -- I haven't even taken the MCAT yet! I would go ahead and fill it out. It's such a crazy year, I really doubt there's any downside to doing so. It's possible, I guess, that your application to the MSTP is considered your secondary. Maybe that's what that remark about not having to apply separately means. You could call or e-mail them to ask, as it is a bit confusing.

It's U. of Washington in Seattle we're discussing. The MD/PhD program takes people from all over the country. Only the Regular MD program is restricted to residents of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana & Idaho (WWAMI).

There are a certain number of seats designated for the various states (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho). This is determined by law, so there isn't much wiggle room for the admissions staff. On the other hand, there are always a handful (a solid 5%) of the class from out of state. Those who are from out of state have generally demonstrated that they are interested in working with the underserved. That is a GENERAL statement.

In any event, I wanted to clear up the notion that admissions to the MD program is restricted to students from WWAMI states. :)

They can't be screening too stringently -- I haven't even taken the MCAT yet! I would go ahead and fill it out. It's such a crazy year, I really doubt there's any downside to doing so. It's possible, I guess, that your application to the MSTP is considered your secondary. Maybe that's what that remark about not having to apply separately means. You could call or e-mail them to ask, as it is a bit confusing.

How are you applying this year then?
:confused:

Um, this thread is from 2001...

Um, this thread is from 2001...

True...but I hear this a lot, and if others did a search of UW threads, I wanted to dispell the myth.