1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

New User.....Need Help

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by MoThuggy, Nov 20, 2002.

1. MoThuggy

MoThuggy Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey guys,
    I am new to this forum, and its looks like the people on this forum are very helpful and knowledgeble. I had a couple of questions for you guys. I am a sophmore attending a community college in Illinois. I want to major in psychology and apply to a dental school. My questions are:
    1) Does going to a community college for the first two years of your undegrad study hurt your chances of being a competitive applicant?
    2) What kind of a GPA and DAT score would be recommended to get into Southern Illinois University if i am an illinois resident?
    3) Is psychology a good major for a pre dental student?
    4) And if you guys have any other additional advice to give me, i would greatly apprecite it!

Thanks so much for your help guys!
    Mo

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    1) Does going to a community college for the first two years of your undegrad study hurt your chances of being a competitive applicant?

A: No, but keep in mind dental schools will only accept x amount of community college credits towards their admissions requirement. How many? Check with individual schools.

2) What kind of a GPA and DAT score would be recommended to get into Southern Illinois University if i am an illinois resident?

A: Contact SIU dental school or look at their web site.

3) Is psychology a good major for a pre dental student?

A: Any major is good for a pre-dental student. A science major will work to your own benefit because you'll have the background once you start dental school. I have some classmates that are non-science majors in my class and they're hurting right now getting straight "C"s and trying to stay afloat because they've never had a lot of the "-ology" courses.

4) And if you guys have any other additional advice to give me, i would greatly apprecite it!

A: interested in dentistry....start to shadow and volunteering in private dental offices.