New vs Old

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smoothdriver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking the MCAT again. I took it april 2006 and havent really had much luck regarding this application cycle.

What are the major differences between the old paper version and the new computer based one? I have heard that the new one is shorter (maybe only because breaks are optional?) and that you find out your results faster. What is the turn around time for scores? I would think think that a computer based MCAT would make things easier for scoring and processing.

Sorry for sounding so clueless about this, I really never planned on retaking it. I thought that with my stats i was bound to get an acceptance somewhere. But with the end near, it doesnt look like it will be so. I am now toying with the idea of retaking this test. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the link. wow, it is quite a bit different than the old version. has anyone who has taken the paper version, retaken the new version? any thoughts?

btw i have a 30Q now with a 3.84 GPA, my friends think I am ******ed to even think about taking it again.

now i await opinions from the great minds of SDN

thanks for the link. wow, it is quite a bit different than the old version. has anyone who has taken the paper version, retaken the new version? any thoughts?

btw i have a 30Q now with a 3.84 GPA, my friends think I am ******ed to even think about taking it again.

now i await opinions from the great minds of SDN
30Q with a 3.84?? unless you are in cali, you have an excellent chance of getting into a allo school. i wouldn't retake it IMO

Members don't see this ad :)
retaking a 30Q doesn't seem like the best option, especially with that high gpa. Maybe your weakness is in Personal Statement, Extra-currics, Reccs, clinical experience, etc....

by the way, what was your breakdown, did you have an extremely low score in one of the sections? if so, then retaking might be worth it...

im in texas and had the interviews, but the match showed me no love. i applied a little later than i should have due to studying abroad until mid july. didnt get my apps in till late august. i was riding on the match...... but thats over today. there is still some waitlist hope i guess. and i only applied to texas schools, probably a big mistake.

anyways, it seems like i will be re-doing the process next cycle and i dont know of any other ways to improve my application. i need something to put down for the how have you improved yourself and what have you done in the past year question. any other ideas? maybe i will just say that i was some statistical anomaly and that i should have gotten in and that they made they made some sort of mistake. Too bad there seems to be a lot of these anomalies this year. It is getting harder to get in I guess.