New Walgreens Pharmacist-HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDizzzy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was recently hired as a floater for Walgreens. I was given two weeks of training but half of my first week was PPLs and there was a lot my manager didn't explain. You only find out how well you were trained once on your own and there is sooooo much lacking. I'm panicking now. It's been about 4 shifts or so on my own and I just need so much explained to me. Idk where to even begin. There are a lot of things that seem intuitive for people who have been working with the company for years. I only worked at Walgreens for 6 weeks during my APPEs but had no prior experience before the job and I sense it. I call a pharmacist buddy of mine daily on the job when I get stuck.

Can this thread just be a everything you will ever need to know. Tips, tricks, TPR shortcuts and workarounds, work flow. In what order do you guys tackle your queue if you have 4 green boxes staring at you 11 F1s, 15 F4s, 40 to fill, 30 to verify?? Please leave no detail out, you won't believe how stupid some mistakes I've made were just because I didn't know. For example first day I called my buddy before going in and asked him idk where to find all of the flu shot paper work and fill out the forms and all that good stuff, he says flu shots are easy the other ones are only a bit more complicated, so sure less than an hour into the shift and someone asks for an MMR vaccine, I tripped out so much that I got everything ready they had filled out the VAR but I gave them the shot before even seeing if the insurance covered it. We called the insurance after it wasn't going through, they tell us that they don't cover immunizations in a pharmacy for that patient so I was panicking, then one of my techs did something and got it to go through and I was so relieved. Another dumb mistake was I had not been scanning the leaflet before using the yuyama machine because I had never been trained in a pharmacy that had one, so I would walk up to the tube that had the pills counted and force it open and I just thought that's how the machine is. Then I asked a friend and realized how stupid I was.

I'm panicking so much and don't know what to do. I even go work for free and shadow a friend with more experience but he's always so busy he doesn't have time to show me.

My biggest worries are:
How to handle insurance issues (if you guys have cheat sheets on this that would be great)
Random things you have to do on SIMS and for ABC like posting orders, interstoring, ordering C2s, I heard about something called quickorder but idk what that is
Things like deletes, bin recon, I don't even know how ppl do that stuff. Do the lists just show up, do you have to do something special on the telzon? I must sound so stupid right now but yeah there's no way to know this stuff without being taught. And I guess my training was profoundly lacking.

Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

It takes time get good. You should have worked as a grad intern while getting your license. Now that you are already on your own, it's kinda too late. If you're salaried, I recommend going in early and leaving late so you can take your time and do everything right. Insurance shortcuts differ depending on where you are.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds as though you just need to relax a bit. You really need to focus on things like F4 verification, New to Therapy calls, transfers and the like. Learning all the nuances of the job will only come with time. For now just be sure you know how to go into StoreNet >Next Gen and put yourself into the computer so that you can sign into the cash register. Being able to cover the front while the technicians focus on Bin Recon, Smart Counts, SIMS and the like will help keep the pharmacy running smoothly. If you run into an insurance problem don't be ashamed to ask one of the techs for help, be willing to cover drive thru while they are taking care of TPR's. Ordering C2's will usually be handled by the PIC. Going in to "shadow" other pharmacists on your days off sounds like it could be more of a distraction for the staff and a waste of your time. Just relax, it'll come with time.

Members don't see this ad :)
It takes time. Don't freak out, you can't really speed up the learning process. It took me about 6 months since I was also brand new to the company. Just make sure when you make a mistake or someone explains something new to you, you try your best to remember it for next time. Overlap with other RPh will help you but at least in my area, there aren't many stores that do that anymore.

It takes time get good. You should have worked as a grad intern while getting your license. Now that you are already on your own, it's kinda too late. If you're salaried, I recommend going in early and leaving late so you can take your time and do everything right. Insurance shortcuts differ depending on where you are.
I had been trying to get a job in a pharmacy since starting pharmacy school but couldn't get a spot. My state is very saturated and even this pharmacist position was through a friends referral.

I posted some DUR tips here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/posts/18469932/

And some insurance tips here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/posts/16836456/
Get really familiar with the common local plans and Medicaid.
Some tips about how to enter insurance cards can be found under F12 and entering the BIN and PCN.
There is a 'FINDMPD' tool to look up people's Medicare Part D info.
'RxSA' TPRs are actually internal Walgreens safety alerts. Do not contact the insurance about these. e.g. verify Look Alike Sound Alike drugs like hydroxyzine/hydralazine and override with Prior Authorization Type 1 code 6666.

Memorize the shelf locations for OTCs and have 'go-to' products that you will recommend in each category. Even if you're a floater, the OTCs are usually in the 2 walls adjacent to the pharmacy and the 1 aisle further over.

How I handle the insanity.
Am shift. I show up about 30min early. with my coffee and tacos.
1. first clear out the F4. Which for my store is about 30 to 50. Mostly refills.
2. While my machine counts out said F4s, I work through the MSC and DURs. Fax for corrections. In case things get crazy and I can't call.
3. Check my new to therapy calls (storenet) list and Late to Refill (email)
4. Check compass (storenet)
5. Tech usually print the invoices (email)
6. Our store the following autoprint. Transfer list , deletes list,
7. Delegate the late the refill and the as many call the pt tasks as possible. (Makes sure techs call on the 7 day list aka aged Rx list.
8. Try to fill as much as possible before opening.

PM shift
1. Tell the techs to always shift to the flow-nometer to the right. To F4 and Rev.
2. When things get crazy make sure your techs fill scripts in some sort of logical manner. Ie. That they filling on time scripts as much as possible, so the numbers don't tank. You can play catch up later. If it's late it's late. I put the late totes on the belt.
3. Multiple waiters follow the same process. Shift it right then Verify. As much as possible.
4. If things slow down print ahead .. (F2 options ..print.. print ahead)

As a floater this is your main focus.. and don't leave the pharmacy a mess..

It takes time. I recommend a notebook to write things down for reference.

It sounds as though you just need to relax a bit. You really need to focus on things like F4 verification, New to Therapy calls, transfers and the like. Learning all the nuances of the job will only come with time. For now just be sure you know how to go into StoreNet >Next Gen and put yourself into the computer so that you can sign into the cash register. Being able to cover the front while the technicians focus on Bin Recon, Smart Counts, SIMS and the like will help keep the pharmacy running smoothly. If you run into an insurance problem don't be ashamed to ask one of the techs for help, be willing to cover drive thru while they are taking care of TPR's. Ordering C2's will usually be handled by the PIC. Going in to "shadow" other pharmacists on your days off sounds like it could be more of a distraction for the staff and a waste of your time. Just relax, it'll come with time.

As a floater I wouldn't order C2s. Especially if your not comfortable. But leave a detailed note for what needs to be ordered.

It takes time and you'll get the hang of it. Ask a lot of questions and keep a notebook to write everything down. Keep it with you daily.

Agreed with all of the comments above. Countyb5s sums it well. Use your techs and delagte all non Rph tasks. As a floater, identify the experienced techs and Lean on them for operational help (tprs eat up a lot of time).

When I was in retail, I started as an intern during my last few rotations. I did a fews shifts while doing pharmacist e learnings...usually on my own time. To train, my boss put me in the second busiest store doing 650+ for 2 weeks as training....it worked

when youre putting insurance cards through, always start by entering the bin number and pcn number (PCN number isn't always available). the ****ty part is you might enter a bin number and pcn number a get a bunch of different plan IDs to choose from. YOu will learn these with experience and time, but the key to figuring it out is if you read the card information, like united health, there may be a united health plan ID code that matches the bin and pcn number. sometimes you put in a bin number and pcn number, click a plan ID, and then the PCN number changes. WATCH OUT FOR THIS. the pcn number and bin number always have to match. For the "PAID" plan, you always have to add in 001 after the ID number if card holder, 002 if spouse, etc. Just put in insurances one step at a time. Bluecross blue shield plan ID is almost always ILBC if youre in Illinois. remember, one step at a time. You wont get the hang of thigns til a few months in and you just kind of have to accept that, and pray for good techs!! Ive been working with a pharmacist who has been working for 30 years and she can't enter a flu shot to save her life because she's always had good techs doing all that work for her!!!!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels like this. I graduated this May and reluctantly took a floating position with Walgreens since the job market is so terrible right now. I only got 3 days of training after getting licensed a couple weeks ago and have my first shift by myself tomorrow that's 12 hours. I'm extremely nervous about opening/closing procedures as I wasn't trained on this. Like putting the drawers back in the register in the morning, and even opening the resister to be honest.

Any tips on releasing the queue in the morning?
I also have NO idea how to use SIMS and order. I was shown how to use the ABC Passport website but I know that's not the first thing to use.
Price modifying?

I know a lot of stuff is learned through experience, but I'm scheduled 100 hours this coming pay period with multiple 12 hour shifts by myself so I have no one to lean on and I'm full of anxiety right now. I took this job because I had no other options and I'm the only one of my friends from my class that has a job so I can't complain. But I've seriously been regretting taking this position and want to start looking at other jobs in other areas ASAP.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels like this. I graduated this May and reluctantly took a floating position with Walgreens since the job market is so terrible right now. I only got 3 days of training after getting licensed a couple weeks ago and have my first shift by myself tomorrow that's 12 hours. I'm extremely nervous about opening/closing procedures as I wasn't trained on this. Like putting the drawers back in the register in the morning, and even opening the resister to be honest.

Any tips on releasing the queue in the morning?
I also have NO idea how to use SIMS and order. I was shown how to use the ABC Passport website but I know that's not the first thing to use.
Price modifying?

I know a lot of stuff is learned through experience, but I'm scheduled 100 hours this coming pay period with multiple 12 hour shifts by myself so I have no one to lean on and I'm full of anxiety right now. I took this job because I had no other options and I'm the only one of my friends from my class that has a job so I can't complain. But I've seriously been regretting taking this position and want to start looking at other jobs in other areas ASAP.

Don't be afraid to ask your techs how to do things pertaining to registers, workflow, insurance, etc. Most pharmacies are used to having floaters, so the techs are self sufficient and know how to carry on. If you don't have a tech around, ask a store manager or shift lead on things they would know about (register assistance, etc).

Register drawers: The opening tech might bring the drawers back to the pharmacy for you, but if not, just ask the store manager/shift lead to show you how to put them in. Same thing with closing to bring the drawers back to the office, just ask. (For opening, log into register, enter register number which is usually a 2 digit number on the bottom of your screen that matches the number on the label of the matching drawer, enter dollar amount in drawer, press enter and door will open, put drawer in, then shut and you are good to go. For closing, I think it's Other Functions? Then press final sign off/report.. a bunch of receipts will print out and drawer door will open for you to take the drawer out. Bring the receipts with the drawers.)

Queue: If there are any F4s when you walk in, take care of those. Check MSC and DUR exceptions (e.g. if it's a refill too soon to be released on the date you're working, go ahead and remove those exceptions if you deem okay to fill). Don't worry about "releasing the queue" in the morning, just make sure F1s and F4s are getting done in a timely manner. Leaflets will print out as they're due. If it's slow and there's hardly any leaflets printed, you can print some manually before they're set to print automatically (select drop down for example status to "entered" -- scroll down the list and you can highlight and print anything in that list you want that says "reviewed" with no exceptions on it)

SIMS/ordering, register functions, etc.: Don't worry about this for your first day, as thats a lot of stuff to explain in a post. Ask tech how to do stuff for now, or leave note for staff pharmacist to order stuff if needed.)

^PM me later if you want to go over this stuff or anything else in your spare time.

Relax and give it time. You'll probably constantly be learning new little things, but the general stuff will feel routine in no time.

Anything else! New intern here and tbh I am pretty much used an a glorified tech. Would wish to learn more tpr and ins rejects. Also registering for vaccinations.

Anything else! New intern here and tbh I am pretty much used an a glorified tech. Would wish to learn more tpr and ins rejects. Also registering for vaccinations.
I use new interns as techs too, once you been with the company for a year or two and is more experienced then you move on to more stuff.

I feel like you are using the term tech wrong.

Took about 1 year to be semi-competant enough to handle my own and know when to tell people I'm only filling in and to call back when the regular crew is in the next day hehe

At least you are glorified for now.

I feel like you are using the term tech wrong.

I meant a tech by doing what they do plus whenever vaccinations or questions OTC happen I kick in. Some pharmacist teach me a few things that they run along depending on how busy it is. But the majority of them just uses me as a tech. I do have a rotation with wags and I’ll probably ask a lot more questions at that time.

Took about 1 year to be semi-competant enough to handle my own and know when to tell people I'm only filling in and to call back when the regular crew is in the next day hehe

Yup lol