New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nycom still takes the best of each section from multiple mcats right?

just submitted my AACOMAS. will be applying here for next cycle :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know when they changed it but this most certainly was the case for the 2012-2013 cycle.

My top school right here, I'm hoping some in-state preference will give some advantage.

hi guys,

just wondering what my chances would be at this school, my top choice (NY resident). cGPA 3.1 (health issues during first 2 years of college), sGPA 3.6 (with some retakes), 23 MCAT (first take) 27 MCAT (retake): 8,9,10 (PS,VB,BS). i have volunteered at a hospital, shadowed a DO, tutored chemistry and biology at my undergrad institution for over 3 years, student mentor for incoming science majors w/ the Student Development Department, volunteered in soup kitchens feeding the homeless to name a few ECs.

hi guys,

just wondering what my chances would be at this school, my top choice (NY resident). cGPA 3.1 (health issues during first 2 years of college), sGPA 3.6 (with some retakes), 23 MCAT (first take) 27 MCAT (retake): 8,9,10 (PS,VB,BS). i have volunteered at a hospital, shadowed a DO, tutored chemistry and biology at my undergrad institution for over 3 years, student mentor for incoming science majors w/ the Student Development Department, volunteered in soup kitchens feeding the homeless to name a few ECs.

IMO, your chances are very good but you have to apply early/now.

IMO, your chances are very good but you have to apply early/now.

Thank you. I turned in my primary June 19th and am waiting for verification. Good look to all this cycle.
:)

Does anyone know the average stats of acceptance (not matriculation)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting for a secondary. This is one of my Top 5 schools.

AACOMAS verified: 6/72013
released: 6/21/2013

3.73 sGPA
3.95 overall uGPA / 3.81 overall GPA
27O MCAT

Still waiting for a secondary. This is one of my Top 5 schools.

AACOMAS verified: 6/72013
released: 6/21/2013

3.73 sGPA
3.95 overall uGPA / 3.81 overall GPA
27O MCAT

Look up a few posts. There is a link that sends you to a page that says the secondary won't be available until 7/15.

My primary was verified last week to be released tomorrow... Should i send in the secondary today or wait for a confirmation that they received my primary?
You can submit. You don't have to wait. They stated that you may be submit July 15th "July 15th the secondary will become available to everyone."

How long are you guys writing your essays for the how did you hear about NYIT and the how you became interested in osteopathic medicine?

I would think the how did you become interested in osteopathic medicine would be long, but the other one can be answered in one sentence?

Would like to know the answer to the above as well.

Dang, this school has a strong NY preference :/.

Yea Wowza. Okay I'm at a bit of a disadvantage with that 85% IS rate.

On a separate note, did you list everything in the secondary? The secondary itself says to do so, but in the FAQ link it says List and Describe.

On a separate note, did you list everything in the secondary? The secondary itself says to do so, but in the FAQ link it says List and Describe.
Yep. Listed everything all the ECs, volunteer, research, TAing, tutoring etc

...They asked for it haha

Sorry, to clarify I wrote 2 sentences for the questions "how did you hear about us" and "where did your interest in osteopathic medicine come from."

I went to town on all of the other questions i.e. list this, describe that etc,

Do you need to wait for an email confirming they've received your primary, or can you just submit a secondary asap?

How long are you guys writing your essays for the how did you hear about NYIT and the how you became interested in osteopathic medicine?

I would think the how did you become interested in osteopathic medicine would be long, but the other one can be answered in one sentence?

:thumbup:

Another question since these questions are pretty vague, but by listing are you guys just listing the titles and dates or your ECs? It sure would make more sense if they asked to describe it too but I'm guessing they don't want to read all of our ramblings.

I listed for the most part.

Also the secondary is posted online.

Anyone else kind of bummed about the 80% NY preference?

Oh well, I guess it works in my favor for Rowan SOM.

From my perspective, "How did you become interested in osteopathic medicine" is a different question than "Why osteopathic medicine." I cover why osteopathic medicine in my PS so I didn't want to write the same thing lol

Just my thoughts...

From my perspective, "How did you become interested in osteopathic medicine" is a different question than "Why osteopathic medicine." I cover why osteopathic medicine in my PS so I didn't want to write the same thing lol

Just my thoughts...

It's just one of those things where you can put an essay or a sentence, it's all up to you.

hey, is this the site for the secondary? http://guru.nyit.edu/Admissions/ApplictionOnHold.aspx
it just says "At this time the application cycle for the 2013 Entering Year is closed.
Applications for the 2014 Entering Year will be available for submission as of July 15, 2013."
where exactly is the secondary??? thanksss

I am a bit confused. Do I have to wait for them to send me an invitation for secondaries or do I have to find the secondary online and turn it in? is it like this for all DO schools?

I am a bit confused. Do I have to wait for them to send me an invitation for secondaries or do I have to find the secondary online and turn it in? is it like this for all DO schools?

Find it online and turn it.

No, not all DO schools are like this.

Yes, it's kind of annoying. I too was expecting an invite from NYCOM but thats just how it is.

I listed for the most part.

Also the secondary is posted online.

Anyone else kind of bummed about the 80% NY preference?

Oh well, I guess it works in my favor for Rowan SOM.

I am a NY resident and feel the same way about Rowan SOM. :cool: :laugh:

For the experience section, are you guys only listing the activities or are you also putting a description of your activities?

I put a brief description next to each. Each about a short sentence.

I would've never have known about the secondary had it not been for this thread. Thank you SDN

so for the secondary app questions:

How did you become interested in osteopathic medicine?

How did you hear about NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine?

Is there a character or word limit? If not, how long were your responses?

so for the secondary app questions:

How did you become interested in osteopathic medicine?

How did you hear about NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine?

Is there a character or word limit? If not, how long were your responses?

Everyone I spoke to at NYCOM said to limit it to just 1-5 sentences. Apparently they look at your GPA/MCAT and primary the most.

The secondary, unless its explicitly an essay like other schools, would really just serve as a supplement (and lets face it, a money-grabber).

So don't worry to much. Just get your point across short and sweet.

I have a 3.74 GPA and a 3.65 sGPA as of right now with a double major in biology and geology, minor in history. If I get an MCAT score of a 24, would I have a chance at NYCOM? I'm in state btw