New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello I have a question that I hope someone here may be able to answer. I was accepted into the class entering this year. I am from New Jersey. My question is regarding my driver's license. Should I get it changed to a NY license? My truck is in my dad's name as is the insurance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I have a question that I hope someone here may be able to answer. I was accepted into the class entering this year. I am from New Jersey. My question is regarding my driver's license. Should I get it changed to a NY license? My truck is in my dad's name as is the insurance.
No you don't have to

Members don't see this ad :)

There is no need to do this unless you plan to move to NY permanently. There is no difference in tuition for in state and out of state students.

Have any other matriculants been having issues with the system? I am trying to access the calendar they shared but im getting an error. This is kind of bothering me since I need to know when everything starts

Have any other matriculants been having issues with the system? I am trying to access the calendar they shared but im getting an error. This is kind of bothering me since I need to know when everything starts

I actually have the same problem. However, I was able to see it when they initially shared it with me and there was absolutely nothing on the calendar. You can also click the link that they emailed you with the calendar and access it that way. It works that way for me. And again, there is nothing on the calendar. All the information that you need is on http://talk.nyit.edu/2018/ . The orientation is August 4th and 5th with classes starting on the 6th. They even posted the class schedule on that website, as well, and all of the events we have to go to besides classes.

If you are looking at the academic calendar, there is very little information on that. I was able to access the calendar with the courses from the talk.nyit site they use. If you cannot access it still, you can PM me with your email and I can email it to you- I downloaded it onto my desktop

Is there any news on movement on this wait list? Tensions are flaring inside my mind. And by the looks of it, it seems like I may need to think about some contingency plans. :( Especially if classes begin August 6th.

Is there any news on movement on this wait list? Tensions are flaring inside my mind. And by the looks of it, it seems like I may need to think about some contingency plans. :( Especially if classes begin August 6th.

It is still possible at this point that there will be a small amount of movement on the waitlist based on the small number of students that have been giving up their spots. I would recommend that you submit your application for the next cycle if you haven't already done so. Hopefully you applied to a few 1 year master degree programs as a backup. I will be attending George Washington University's 1 year MPH and I know many people who are not selected in their first application cycle choose to pursue an SMP. However, if you have only just begun considering these options you will find that most if not all of these programs have ended their application process by now.

The wait list is definitely moving judging by the Facebook page

Members don't see this ad :)
It is still possible at this point that there will be a small amount of movement on the waitlist based on the small number of students that have been giving up their spots. I would recommend that you submit your application for the next cycle if you haven't already done so. Hopefully you applied to a few 1 year master degree programs as a backup. I will be attending George Washington University's 1 year MPH and I know many people who are not selected in their first application cycle choose to pursue an SMP. However, if you have only just begun considering these options you will find that most if not all of these programs have ended their application process by now.

That is my issue....I should have planned ahead, but that didn't happen. Man, I'm really scared right now as to what options I have. But thank you for that heads up. I think its time to figure something out...

The wait list is definitely moving judging by the Facebook page

How do you access the Facebook page? I've seen many people citing the page but when I check it out I can't see anything, due to the fact that its a closed group. Are you a member of the group? Or am I just looking at the wrong one?

That is my issue....I should have planned ahead, but that didn't happen. Man, I'm really scared right now as to what options I have. But thank you for that heads up. I think its time to figure something out...

How do you access the Facebook page? I've seen many people citing the page but when I check it out I can't see anything, due to the fact that its a closed group. Are you a member of the group? Or am I just looking at the wrong one?

Dude.....you are VERY behind schedule right now. Get off SDN, and start calling masters programs and post baccs. I doubt any of them are still taking applications for next year, but you might find a couple to apply to.

Reactions: 1 user

The link to the Facebook page is somewhere in this group

It is the time to stop dreaming...

I was just accepted off the waitlist. They said 1 person didn't show for orientation. I think that means I'm the last one this cycle. I'm on my way to pay the deposit in oerson right now.

J
I was just accepted off the waitlist. They said 1 person didn't show for orientation. I think that means I'm the last one this cycle. I'm on my way to pay the deposit in oerson right now.
I am so jealous. Congratulations!

Grats man! I've been rooting for you! You're gonna like the school. That is some fateful **** right there!

It is the time to stop dreaming...
The time has come to stop yes. Ugh, pretty gut-wrenching feeling right now, but life moves on. Time to prepare to reapply.

You are a lucky man my friend. I congratulate you. I did see you have been extremely adamant about this school so its only right that you got that coveted last seat. Congratulations again!
(I'm super jealous right now :p)

Thanks everyone... I'm sure I'll be meeting a bunch of you next year:)

Can you shed any light on this info? Skeptical about attending NYCOM due to attrition rate. The beginning of your post sounds promising, but I am not sure how I feel about being the first year of a new curriculum. Hoping I can get into the DPC track, although I like the idea of systems based M1 and M2.

no news yet about the new curriculum expected for next year (class of 2019), except that anatomy will be its own block (like other medical schools have) with its own set of credits. the school may also get rid of systems and instead have actual courses led by small groups, similar to PBL. the school again accepted ~320 students this year for their incoming class of 2018.

as for the attrition rate, the schools banks on the fact that they will over-accept students, take that additional money for god knows what, but then lose around 20-30 people. the entering class is always ~320 and that same graduating class is usually between 280-300...sucks, but hopefully with a new curriculum coming next year, they will lose less students, because the systems-based "courses" they have had are a disaster in terms of learning the info. adequately. good luck everyone in the new cycle!

They stopped funding this program a few years ago so it is not active as of now.
Hey - do u know if nycom is offering the medprep program for this cycle? I dont see anything on their website about it