New York Med vs. Long Island U.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gymgirl57620035

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was recently accepted to both Long Island University and New York Medical College. The Long Island University acceptance came first and I was pretty set on going there and then I interviewed at New York Med and was accepted. I really like both programs and am trying to weight my options. I was offered a scholarship at LIU and New York Med doesn't have any so that's a factor. Any current students in either of these programs or anyone that can offer some insight into my situation?
 
I am very interested in New York Medical College. Can you let me know when you applied and how was the interview process?

I would compare the cost of both programs with your scholarship. Which program is most affordable? Where do you live in proximity to both programs? Which program is closer? I would also take a look at the both programs. New York Medical College follows problem-based cirriculum which is unique. I think the pass rate for NYMC is higer than LIU, but not 100% certain.

Hopefully students from both programs can chime in with specifics.
 
Both LIU and New York Med are awesome! I applied to New York Med in October and received an interview invite late November. They utilize a rolling admissions format so they have multiple interview days where they typically interview 6-8 people each day. They only have them on Tuesdays and Fridays because they have you sit in on a problem-based learning course so you can see first hand what their pedagogy is like. My interview day was a bit bigger with 12 of us there. The director spends the whole day with you and is absolutely amazing. They really give you so much information about the program that you feel like your head could explode (but in a good way). The director gives an overview of the program in the AM, then you have the individual interviews (20-25 minutes long) and observe a class. Then we had lunch with some of the 1st year students which was great. They all love it there and toured the facilities. Lastly, housing & financial aid came to talk to us.

With my scholarship they are within a few grand so that doesn't really make a difference, the cost of living in both areas is pretty much equal. The area surrounding New York Med is extremely expensive (3rd most expensive county in the country). Also, I'm fron Ohio so I have to relocate either way, so that doesn't make a difference. They both have extremely high pass rates & 100% employment rates! Ahhh... this is sooooo hard!

New York Med has more of a focus on public health and LIU has more of a focus on advanced clinical techniques. New York Med also has a great neurology focus and LIU has an awesome orthopedic focus. LIU also has a clinic right on campus which is pretty fantastic. New York Med requires that you do a community service project in your 2nd year and a doctoral project in your 3rd year and LIU just has you do smaller research type projects throughout their curriculum so it depends what you're looking for.