New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who attent New York Medical College, I would like to know why you chose this medical school. Was it your first choice or on the top of your list? Why? I have never visited NYMC, but would like to know more about it from those who have researched the school and go there. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I too would like to know more about NYMC. It would be nice to here from a student who attends the medical school, are they happy there. Or from someone who has a friend who attends, what do they know about the school?

Go to website interviewfeedback.com and read the section under New York Medical ollege you will learn alot about the school from current applicants who have just been there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks nyskindr, although interview feedback is a interesting site I did not learn much about the college. I would like to hear from a student who is attending NYMC. How do they like the college? Any feedback they can offer would be appreciated.

i'm currently a second year at nymc... whether you'll like the school or not is really a matter of personal taste. but the pros and cons, in my opinion:

cons:
the campus is in the middle of nowhere, and you basically need a car to get around and go grocery shopping, go out to eat, etc (unless you want to depend on a fellow student).

it isn't very diverse ethnically.

they work you EXTREMELY hard at this school. i've heard several people from other new york med schools say that nymc has the reputation for being the most competitive med school in new york. i think the reason for this is that since the school doesn't have a great name (like an ivy), they work us hard so we do really well on the boards and can get the residency we want. so this could be a pro or a con, depending on how you look at it. i've heard of students at other schools actually having lives and not being so stressed, like we are here. but you do learn a lot.

pros:
you're only about a 20-30 minute drive away from manhattan, which is really nice.

there aren't any distractions, because you're NOT in the city.

you have a close-knit class, because the environment is so isolated.

you can do your rotations (3rd and 4th years) in manhattan. i think this is the biggest pro... nymc has a lot of affiliated hospitals in the city.

i think that's about it. feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

amy