New York Medical Colleges Association Post-Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nyu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a call today from the NYC Medical Colleges Association post-bac program, a program I didn't even know existed. The program seems too good to be true. They have offered me admission to Albert Einstein following completion with paid tution, paid housing, free books, and a monthly living stipend while I am completing the program. Anyone else doing it or something similar?

Members don't see this ad.

What? I ve never heard of this program? Do you have a link to their website? So if you do well in the program you can get into NYMC and Albert Einstein?

I've heard that this program is only for those who are in NY.
Each undergrad nominates a few students for this program each year or something like that...
Darn, I wish I lived in NY...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so they called me today and this is what the program is about:
You don't have to be a New York resident. Basically if you apply and are interviewed at a New York medical school and denied admission, the medical school in question can request you for admission to the post bac program. If completed you gain one of the first admissions to the entering class of next year. I interviewed at Albert Einstein so after the program will be going there. Here is the best part: Free tuition, free housing, free books, and a monthly living stiped. The post bac program is located on the campus of SUNY upstate medical school and following completion of the program you return to your respective referring medical school. I am still waiting for the catch because this program sounds too good to be true. If you have any questions just drop me a line.
Good Luck
Albert Einstein class of 2012

Dear Nyu2004,

Do you have a phone number, an email, or web link for this program?

So again, the way it works is that you must get referred by a medical school in NY where you have previously applied?

Thanks,

Radu

Im at nymc now (masters prog), they are just starting this program next year. the masters program here is hard, the med school cirric is even harder, and finally the smp will be hardest of all. If you dont do satisfactory you will be placed in the masters program, and if that happens it will definately not be good.

Can I get more info on this program that will be starting next year at nymc?

Thanks

I think we are talking about two different programs. I can only speak on the AAMC program which was amazing and I almost went to.

I think we are talking about two different programs. I can only speak on the AAMC program which was amazing and I almost went to.

Can I get more info on that as well?
(or just a link if there is one :) )

i am dying to know about this program.

Here you go guys, this is the letter they sent me when I got into the program. Again if I didn't get into medical school I would have done it in a heart beat. Albert Einstein is an amazing program and this post- bac is the opportunity of a lifetime. Good luck to all of you!

The Associated Medical Schools of New York, a consortium of the fifteen public and private medical schools in New York State, conducts a Post-Baccalaureate Program at the University at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. The goal of this program is to increase the enrollment of qualified applicants from groups that are underrepresented in medicine or economically disadvantaged in medical schools in New York State.

Based on nominations from their admission officers, AMS member schools offer conditional acceptance to underrepresented or economically disadvantaged applicants who were interviewed and either not accepted or placed on a hold list. Selected candidates are referred to this program to prepare them for admission to medical school the following year.

You have been referred by Albert Einstein College of Medicine for admission to the 2008 entering class. This admission offer is contingent upon enrolling in the AMS Post-Baccalaureate Program for the 2007-2008 academic year and fulfilling program requirements. Successful completion will guarantee your admission to Albert Einstein College of Medicine next year, without having to reapply.

The Post-Baccalaureate Program provides one year of intensive and individualized medical school preparation and runs June 25, 2007 to May 8, 2008. Program components and medical school admission requirements are outlined below.

Summer Program
The 2007-2008 program begins with a five-week Summer Enrichment Program. This component is designed to identify areas of academic strengths and weaknesses and strengthen basic knowledge in the core sciences and math. It includes review classes in cell biology, organic and inorganic chemistry, as well as coursework in biochemistry, microbiology and physiology. The Summer Program dates are June 25 through July 27, 2007.

Academic Year Component
Candidates must enroll as full-time students for the 2007-2008 academic year and take core pre-medical courses recommended by the medical schools. The fall semester runs August 27 to December 18, 2007; the spring semester runs January 14 to May 8, 2008. All students must complete a minimum of 13 credit hours coursework per semester. Courses are individually tailored to meet their academic needs and are selected from the following curriculum:

- 8 hours Biology, Chemistry, or Physics (with lab)
- 6 hours Electives (e.g. Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology,
Human Physiology, Anatomy, Genetics, Histology)
- 6 hours Mathematics (e.g. Calculus, Algebra/Trigonometry, Statistics)

Medical School Admission Requirements
Students must achieve the performance criteria below during the academic year component to successfully complete the program. At the conclusion of the academic year, students who successfully meet these requirements are offered formal admission to the referral medical school. As a prerequisite to formal admission, students must maintain professional behavior during their enrollment.

1. Students must achieve a grade of B or above in all courses in both the Fall 2007 and Spring 2008 semesters.
2. Students entering the program with an MCAT score below 21 must take the April 2008 MCAT and increase the total score according to the scale below:
21 and above - retake not required
19-20 - improve score by 1 point
17-18 - improve score by 2 points
15-16 - improve score by 3 points

The Post-Baccalaureate Program offers a number of academic and support services to assist students in achieving successful completion. Program benefits include:

Financial Support: The Post-Baccalaureate Program is free to accepted students (full tuition, housing and meals). The program provides on-campus housing and meals during the summer program. During the academic year, students are provided with a monthly stipend for living expenses to cover off-campus housing/utilities, food, and book allowance.

Counseling/Student Support: Students meet with the program director on a regular basis throughout the year for academic, personal, financial, and career counseling. Biweekly meetings are scheduled to discuss academic progress and resources and services available through the University and other sources.

Tutorial Support: Tutorials are integrated in the fall and spring semester schedules for more rigorous courses. Tutoring is provided at no cost to the students.

MCAT Preparation: An MCAT preparation course is provided for students that are required to retake the MCAT during the postbaccalaureate year. Students are enrolled in a Kaplan course on campus that runs October to March and includes practice tests and mock exams. There is no cost to the students.

Travel Allowance: Students are provided with a stipend for one round-trip travel to and from home any time during the academic year.

Prematriculation Program: Some participating schools provide a summer prematriculation program for accepted students, designed to facilitate adjustment to medical school and provide early exposure to the curriculum. If your referral medical school offers such program, you will be required to attend. The prematriculation programs are scheduled by the individual schools and vary in duration from four to six weeks.

If you have not received an acceptance offer to medical school this fall, the Associated Medical Schools of New York Post-Baccalaureate Program is offering you an excellent opportunity to fulfill admission requirements and matriculate at Albert Einstein College of Medicine next year.

"2. Students entering the program with an MCAT score below 21 must take the April 2008 MCAT and increase the total score according to the scale below:
21 and above - retake not required
19-20 - improve score by 1 point
17-18 - improve score by 2 points
15-16 - improve score by 3 points"

You have to be kidding me!! Talk about low standards. Am I the only one outraged by this?

does this program still exist..i definitely do not see a website for it..i guess the information is forwarded to you if you qualify...very interesting program nonetheless..

Yea the program still exists. You have to interview at a school and then get referred to the program.

Does this program still exist? What I don't understand is how you would even get an interview at 21(MCAT). I ask this because it is said that you have to get an interview, then get denied, and then gain admission to this program. anyone know about it?