New York Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scuba123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any comparisons/comments on the following programs with regard to academics, hours, ease of obtaining a fellowship or academic position, and anything else you feel is worth mentioning. Thanks! In alphabetical order:

Jacobi
Kings County
Mount Sinai
New York Methodist
St. Luke's (NY)

And yes I know there have been comments previously on these programs, but I have read through them all, and just dont feel I have an insider's sense on how the programs compare.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second the statement that NYHQ is where it happens....

If anyone has any questions about the program, I would be happy to discuss the program. As a current resident, I am incredibly happy to have matched here.

I second the statement that NYHQ is where it happens....

If anyone has any questions about the program, I would be happy to discuss the program. As a current resident, I am incredibly happy to have matched here.

Hi c.bear,

I've heard a lot about NYHQ, and I'm looking to set up my rotations (and hopefully match!) in the greater NYC area. I dealt mostly with St. Barnabas in the BX during college as an EMT, and it seems like NYQH might be a similar type of hospital in terms of the ED (level 1, busy, urban, etc.), so I'm really interested. However, I noticed from the website that there aren't many DO residents, and I'm an osteopathic student. How "DO-friendly" do you think the program is? And do you know, by chance, if COMLEX is accepted, or only USMLE?

Thanks!

Hi c.bear,

I've heard a lot about NYHQ, and I'm looking to set up my rotations (and hopefully match!) in the greater NYC area. I dealt mostly with St. Barnabas in the BX during college as an EMT, and it seems like NYQH might be a similar type of hospital in terms of the ED (level 1, busy, urban, etc.), so I'm really interested. However, I noticed from the website that there aren't many DO residents, and I'm an osteopathic student. How "DO-friendly" do you think the program is? And do you know, by chance, if COMLEX is accepted, or only USMLE?

Thanks!

NYHQ is more open-minded compared to other allopathic programs. they do consider D.O. students however it is exceptionally difficult to get a residency spot as a D.O. graduate there nowadays. the current third and second year classes have no D.O. grads though this intern class does have a couple.
early in the residency there were two nycom grads that got spots this leaked out and began a frenzy of NYCOM students who rotate in the ER now hoping to get an edge. but as the program got more established, the harder it is for DO students to get in.

I assume you mean NYC programs, not just NY programs. Stony brook isn't a NYC program, but is very DO friendly if that's what you're looking into. If you want info on our program IM me. If you're only looking for an urban/city program though (as I was until I bumped into this program), I totally understand.

i'm a current pgy-3 at jacobi. i've posted reviews about jacobi in the past. if you have any specific questions about the program, feel free to contact me. --sp