1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

New York programs

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Hornet871, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Hornet871

Hornet871 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

OK, no one ever likes to talk about the New York City programs - maybe we're all jealously guarding our info - but I'd like to know what you guys have heard from the interview trail and/or from interviewing at specific NYC programs.

Any news on which programs might go under any time soon? I've heard rumors (St. Luke's, Albert Einstein's Beth Israel) but it's so hard to get real info.

Thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Metropolitan is always on the ropes - the program is grossly disorganized, but I don't think it's going under right now.

St. Luke's is part of the "Continuum Health Care", along with Beth Israel, NY Eye and Ear, and Long Island College Hospital. St. Luke's problems are financial, and, in their group, no one knows who really is the drain, and who's making the money.

As far as Beth Israel, they're having real trouble. I talked to several residents, and they all say, "Oh, nothing is wrong!". Something is wrong, but it just hasn't broken open yet.

Otherwise, things are pretty quiescent in the city. Check out www.EMRA.org/forums/ for a rundown of NY programs, written by the current Mt. Sinai chief resident.

4. Hornet871

Hornet871 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Sir: I looked on the EMRA link you provided and could not find the Mt. Sinai chief's post. I'm probably not looking under the right category (or something).

Where is it?

Thank you in advance.

HORNET

5. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

6. edinOH

edinOH Can I get a work excuse?
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What about the Northshore program? I checked your link but it wasn't mentioned there. I am interviewing there in January.

7. j7chico

j7chico Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm glad you mentioned North Shore. I am currently an EM 2 there and I feel that we have an outstanding program. It is a 3 year program with many inside tracks to fellowship opportunities. We do not do any floor rotations and many of our off service rotations are in the critical care setting which needless to say is very high yield. It is only 13 miles to manhattan with public transportation everywhere you look. We all really get along great with each other. We do 18, 17, 16 shifts a month as the years progress. Guaranteed 2 weekends off a month. We have an extremely high patient acuity which is a great environment to learn emergency medicine. Our program director is great and supportive, listens to our suggestions and makes changes. There is so much to say, but i'll save it for interview day. Look forward to seeing you.
    Jerry

8. animallover2382

Other Health Professions Student
    Anyone out there working at Montefiore hospital in the Bronx, NY? Please message me if you do!!!

Thanks in advance!

9. iish

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Montefiore/Jacobi is fantastic training. I don't work there, but most attendings I know from there are great.

It's interesting to see this threat from 12 yrs ago and seeing how there was word of St. Lukes EM and BI going under. Clearly didn't happen. St. Lukes is clearly well respected and continues to produce fantastic EM docs. I think generally speaking, you will get great training at nearly all NYC programs. The 4 year programs are all reputed far outside NYC and regionally all the others are well respected too.

10. DocEspana

DocEspana Bullish
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yea. SLR and their EM program are a staple of the city (at least among the med students here). Every med student in the city who wants to do EM seems to swing through the program at ome point.