New York Psych residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabemusician

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one can tell me what programs are

1. The Best

2. The worst or must avoid

3. Hidden Gems

4. Super relaxed and focused on education not overworking residents

Thanks so much,
wannabe

Members don't see this ad.

Also, anyone know why NYU did not fill? Is there a known problem at this residency program? Also, SUNY did not fill. Any thoughts?

-wannabe

Also, anyone know why NYU did not fill? Is there a known problem at this residency program? Also, SUNY did not fill. Any thoughts?

-wannabe

This was covered in other threads, but I think the general consensus is that NYU is an incredible, hard working program that has a lot of slots. Given the quality of the program and desirable location in New York, they can guesstimate a pretty small number of people they need to interview/rank in order to fill with people they like. This year, that prediction probably just wasn't big enough. Nobody seems to have any complaints about the program. One of my close friends matched there and is very happy, and she certainly ranked it above the other two "better" New York programs.

Harvard Longwood similarly did not fill, with a very similar situation.

These excellent programs not filling seems to be mostly a statistical artifact, and most likely does not reflect upon the program's quality. Or it may be that something about their recruiting was subpar this year. But program recruiting and program quality don't necessarily match one another.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone out there in a NY or CT program that could give me the ins and outs of applying there and the +/- of the programs?

Please, pretty please?

Anyone out there in a NY or CT program that could give me the ins and outs of applying there and the +/- of the programs?

Please, pretty please?

I'm in the same position as you- I'm trying to find a good nyc program.
If you search "new york city" under the psych forums, there are quite a few of, "Tell me what program x is like" with no replies.

This is the best I can come up with with a broad overview:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=254533&highlight=new+york+city

I think the reason why NYU or any nyc program can be a turn off, hence empty spots is simple economics.
-most people are coming out of med school with a debt of $100,000+
-you pay $1000/mth for a closet when the same amount can get you a luxury apt anywhere else
-owning a car (even a used civic) is priced out of your salary (even with $3.00 gas)
-NYC, NY state taxes hurt
-Everything is more expensive
-but you only get paid $1,000 more compared to other residency programs
-Some people have had to take out loans just to live in NYC during their residencies.

There is no doubt that the nyc has some awesome programs and that nyc is an awesome place. But everybody who I've talked to said they took one look at the cost of living and said the nyc residencies were out of their price range.

I'm in the same position as you- I'm trying to find a good nyc program.
If you search "new york city" under the psych forums, there are quite a few of, "Tell me what program x is like" with no replies.

This is the best I can come up with with a broad overview:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=254533&highlight=new+york+city

I think the reason why NYU or any nyc program can be a turn off, hence empty spots is simple economics.
-most people are coming out of med school with a debt of $100,000+
-you pay $1000/mth for a closet when the same amount can get you a luxury apt anywhere else
-owning a car (even a used civic) is priced out of your salary (even with $3.00 gas)
-NYC, NY state taxes hurt
-Everything is more expensive
-Some people have had to take out loans just to live in NYC during their residencies.

There is no doubt that the nyc has some awesome programs and that nyc is an awesome place. But everybody who I've talked to said they took one look at the cost of living and said the nyc residencies were out of their price range.

Helpful info.

Thanks.

bth

This may vary by program. For example, at Columbia, NYS licensure increases the PGY3 & PGY4 salaries substantially:

PGY 4 (with NYS License):* = $70,520
PGY 3 (with NYS License):*+ = $64,710
PGY 2+: = $48,437
PGY 1 = $46,139​

It is true that the PGY1 & PGY2 salaries are only marginally higher than that of psychiatry residents in other cities. For example, to compare to UW in Seattle:

R1 $45,084
R2 $46,908
R3 $48,144
R4 $50,760​

However, the residents at Mount Sinai are paid substantially more during all years, on the order of $5-9K more:

PGY-I $51,604
PGY-II $54,402
PGY-III $57,325
PGY-IV $59,612​

(Such that the total salary across four years is nearly comparable between Mount Sinai, $222,900, and Columbia, $229,800.)

This may vary by program. For example, at Columbia, NYS licensure increases the PGY3 & PGY4 salaries substantially:

PGY 4 (with NYS License):* = $70,520
PGY 3 (with NYS License):*+ = $64,710
PGY 2+: = $48,437
PGY 1 = $46,139​

It is true that the PGY1 & PGY2 salaries are only marginally higher than that of psychiatry residents in other cities. For example, to compare to UW in Seattle:

R1 $45,084
R2 $46,908
R3 $48,144
R4 $50,760​

However, the residents at Mount Sinai are paid substantially more during all years, on the order of $5-9K more:

PGY-I $51,604
PGY-II $54,402
PGY-III $57,325
PGY-IV $59,612​

(Such that the total salary across four years is nearly comparable between Mount Sinai, $222,900, and Columbia, $229,800.)

Columbia also provides a $3000/year housing allowance in addition to the above quoted salaries (which have not been adjusted since last year).

Columbia also provides a $3000/year housing allowance in addition to the above quoted salaries (which have not been adjusted since last year).

And they take taxes from that ... making it around $1600 that you get in two installments - August and if you're lucky April.

Besides the cost of living issue.

Are there any programs that are exploitive, that work residents to the bone, have no supervision and little didactics?

Which NY programs should I avoid? Please help, I need to prune down the 29 programs somehow!!

Thanks!

This could be argued certainly, but I think that if it's not top or middle tier program, the quality drops fast and hard.

Top Tier:
Columbia
NYU
Cornell
Mt. Sinai

Middle Tier:
St. Vincent's
St. Luke's
Beth Israel
(Cabrini no longer exsists - not sure if it's still on the ACGME website or not)

Any of the above places will give solid training with reasonable scut. The differences lay in research focus, program size, and stuff like that.

Okay, so I'm a resident at NYU right now, so obviously I would know about this program more than the others. However, from what I could gather from my own experience in interviewing, word of mouth, etc, this is the summary of the programs:

- Cornell: Good fit if you're pretty much set on getting a lot of psychoanalytic type of supervision and training. I don't know if you deal with patient population that extends much outside of the Upper East Side of Manhattan (which is a pretty swanky neighborhood). Folks are proper, serious; you know, analytic.

- Mt. Sinai: Nice place to do research. Ron Rieder, who was the residency director at Columbia until a year ago, is now the residency director there, so I think the research stuff would be even more strengthened, and now they're sending their residents to NY State facilities (i.e. Manhattan Psychiatric Center), which can be a valuable experience dealing with really, really sick folks and/or patients with lots of forensic history. Hospitals covered by residents are Mt. Sinai Hospital (Upper East Side) and the Bronx VA. Don't know about how the residents are in terms of sociability, etc.

- Columbia: Said to be "the best" in NY, if not in the country. Their residents don't mind telling you this also during your interviews, which may work for or against them I guess. Eric Kandel's name is mentioned about 11 times during the day also. Anyway, it's a great place to do research. Spanish speaking skill would be a plus, since you're in Washington Heights. The mood of the residents and the faculty, overall, I thought were a little austere, maybe a bit stuffy, etc. After all, it is Columbia. (By the way, I do have supervisors and directors who were trained there, and they're pretty great, so this isn't necessarily the rule.)

- NYU: Big strength is the clinical training and public psychiatry. Research stuff is being developed, but definitely not so much as other places. If you are a "learn-by-doing" person, this is a great place. You rotate at 5 or more different sites, which includes Bellevue (where it's 90%+ involuntary pts), NYU (100% voluntary), Lenox Hill (community hospital in Upper East Side, 90% voluntary), Manhattan VA, and various State facilities. The big bragging point and the draw for the applicants is Bellevue, where you see the sickest of the sickest before anyone else may have had a chance to see them (unlike the state facilities). It's the birthplace of psychiatric emergency services (the CPEP), and you work there a lot during the first year. Basically, you become pretty solid on decision-making pretty early on in your training (i.e. whom to admit, to release, etc). It's also good if you're hardworking and self-driven. If you're looking for a laid back place, this is NOT for you. And the residents are, honestly, the most fun and social group I've seen among the places I've interviewed at, which was a huge plus for me.

Can't really say much about other programs, particularly because I really don't know much about them. But as it was pointed out by someone above, these four are probably considered the "top tier" in NYC, but as you can see they are pretty different from one another.

Reactions: 1 user
Anywhere else anyone would really want to attend? Any places in NY city I should scratch off my list?

Thanks for the reply!

Okay, so I'm a resident at NYU right now, so obviously I would know about this program more than the others. However, from what I could gather from my own experience in interviewing, word of mouth, etc, this is the summary of the programs:

- Cornell: Good fit if you're pretty much set on getting a lot of psychoanalytic type of supervision and training. I don't know if you deal with patient population that extends much outside of the Upper East Side of Manhattan (which is a pretty swanky neighborhood). Folks are proper, serious; you know, analytic.

- Mt. Sinai: Nice place to do research. Ron Rieder, who was the residency director at Columbia until a year ago, is now the residency director there, so I think the research stuff would be even more strengthened, and now they're sending their residents to NY State facilities (i.e. Manhattan Psychiatric Center), which can be a valuable experience dealing with really, really sick folks and/or patients with lots of forensic history. Hospitals covered by residents are Mt. Sinai Hospital (Upper East Side) and the Bronx VA. Don't know about how the residents are in terms of sociability, etc.

- Columbia: Said to be "the best" in NY, if not in the country. Their residents don't mind telling you this also during your interviews, which may work for or against them I guess. Eric Kandel's name is mentioned about 11 times during the day also. Anyway, it's a great place to do research. Spanish speaking skill would be a plus, since you're in Washington Heights. The mood of the residents and the faculty, overall, I thought were a little austere, maybe a bit stuffy, etc. After all, it is Columbia. (By the way, I do have supervisors and directors who were trained there, and they're pretty great, so this isn't necessarily the rule.)

- NYU: Big strength is the clinical training and public psychiatry. Research stuff is being developed, but definitely not so much as other places. If you are a "learn-by-doing" person, this is a great place. You rotate at 5 or more different sites, which includes Bellevue (where it's 90%+ involuntary pts), NYU (100% voluntary), Lenox Hill (community hospital in Upper East Side, 90% voluntary), Manhattan VA, and various State facilities. The big bragging point and the draw for the applicants is Bellevue, where you see the sickest of the sickest before anyone else may have had a chance to see them (unlike the state facilities). It's the birthplace of psychiatric emergency services (the CPEP), and you work there a lot during the first year. Basically, you become pretty solid on decision-making pretty early on in your training (i.e. whom to admit, to release, etc). It's also good if you're hardworking and self-driven. If you're looking for a laid back place, this is NOT for you. And the residents are, honestly, the most fun and social group I've seen among the places I've interviewed at, which was a huge plus for me.

Can't really say much about other programs, particularly because I really don't know much about them. But as it was pointed out by someone above, these four are probably considered the "top tier" in NYC, but as you can see they are pretty different from one another.

Very helpful info.

Thank you.

I am looking exclusively at NY for residency. Any thoughts about the following programs? specifically: Resident supervision/support, lifestyle/hours, location, strengths/weaknesses, caseloads, call schedules, residents and faculty approachable/fun plus anything you can think of.

THANKS!
-wannabe

1. Lincoln Medical and Mental Health:

2. Brookdale University:

3. Maimonides Medical Center:

4. Jamaica Hospital

5. Harlem Hospital

6. NYMC Metropolitan

7. Creedmoor Psych Center

8. St. Luke's