MA/MS New York State school psychology certification process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

insideout1010

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm in the process of applying for a NY state school psychology (provisional) certificate. My MSEd degree in school psychology is expected to be conferred at the end of August.
My question is related to when I can submit my application, i.e., if I need to wait until the end of August when my degree will be officially conferred and my program will upload a recommendation letter (My program is one of the NY state approved programs). Or can submitting my application now help accelerate the evaluation process?
I'd also love to hear how long the process usually takes. I'm in a job search right now and I'm noticing a lot of places require a certificate. Not knowing when I'll be able to receive mine feels like a barrier.
I hear different stories about how long the process takes. I understand the COVID-19 can be a new factor that can influence the application processing. But I'd appreciate if anyone can share their experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the NASP info about NY New York

In my state, the application cannot be processed until the degree is officially conferred. Though students can submit parts early. You should consult with your university licensure officer. It takes about 6-8 weeks for school psych licenses to process here- again- not sure how long it takes in NY.

Reactions: 1 user