new york training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD1088

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Before I totally abandon hopes of training in NYC due to not affording rent while there...can anyone tell me if they know of training programs that offer housing assistance of any kind. I just dont see how a resident can afford to live in Manhattan on the same salary they would get in Omaha, the latter being a bit cheaper to live. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

MD1088 said:
Hi. Before I totally abandon hopes of training in NYC due to not affording rent while there...can anyone tell me if they know of training programs that offer housing assistance of any kind. I just dont see how a resident can afford to live in Manhattan on the same salary they would get in Omaha, the latter being a bit cheaper to live. Thanks

I think Cornell has subsidized housing. Maybe check out some program websites, I'm sure they would mention it if offered.

in most NY programs you make about 10k more than you would elsewhere in the country... also, the lack of needing a car is a savings, but yes overall you get screwed...

cornell offers great subsidized housing. i think columbia offers something like a $3000 (pretax) stipend per year for housing. sinai has some resident housing, not sure how cheap. some of the prelim places- cabrini, st. vincents offer some housing. not sure about NYU or other hospitals though.

yeah NYU offers housing... but it's $1800/ mo. for a one bedroom... and that's subsidized... wtf?

GoPistons said:
yeah NYU offers housing... but it's $1800/ mo. for a one bedroom... and that's subsidized... wtf?

You can live in NY on a budget, its just very difficult. There are grad students at NYU and Columbia who make half of what you will as a resident. You could get a roommate or live in a more moderately priced neighborhood. Also, you won't be paying any car expenses, so that will save you some cash too. In any event, don't expect to have an apartment of anysize. It won't matter, you'll be working all the time anyway.

Ed

edmadison said:
You can live in NY on a budget, its just very difficult. There are grad students at NYU and Columbia who make half of what you will as a resident. You could get a roommate or live in a more moderately priced neighborhood. Also, you won't be paying any car expenses, so that will save you some cash too. In any event, don't expect to have an apartment of anysize. It won't matter, you'll be working all the time anyway.

Ed

most grad and postgrad students make nothing. oh yeah, they all live in small apartments in cheap neighborhoods!! try looking somewhere besides downtown manhattan (hits self on head).

I believe that most of the programs in NYC offer some kind of housing. I know that Columbia, Beth Israel, Bellevue, NYU, St. Lukes and St. Lukes Roosevelt offer housing, what the individual cost is I dont know. Other options would be also to live in an outer borough and commute by train, or you could find a 1 bedroom apt somewhere and see if you are allowed to put up the temporary walls, which is what many people do to make it a 2 bedroom and then you can get a roommate. Many people do this in order to afford housing, some buildings will allow it and some wont. Good luck!