Remote pharmacist job that allows work from anywhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akwaik

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a clinical pharmacist (currently licensed in 3 states and board certified) and interested in a U.S. based remote pharmacist job that would still allow me to still do my job outside the US — in case of extended travel time or for any reason…

Do those jobs exist ? Everything I have seen requires you to reside in the US (I do have a US residence) but makes me think that the work must also be done in the US otherwise there might be legal issues?

I do prefer a clinical pharmacist job but also open to other remote pharmacist jobs

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably no.

The tech companies I work for remotely enforce strict geo-blocking policies (IP and data breach concerns), and I can't imagine any clinical work can be done remotely overseas. I don't want my clinical data & personal identifiable info to be transferred to another country where I cannot sue in case of misuse or data leak.

Not meant to be offensive, but come on, if clinical work can be done by someone remotely overseas, your job can be outsourced overseas, and your position will be eliminated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Good Luck. Not only can a company dictate where you live, they can even make you come to office, once in a while. Our jobs don't lend itself to working in exotic locales, on the beach with a drink and a laptop, like in the movies.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can understand the data breach issue.

And I would be able to come in once in a while if I knew in advance

I would not be working from any exotic locales … my travel purposes is for being close to family members that need me there (not that it matters where I do the job if the job is done correctly and proper security measures are in place)

I completely understand your predicament, if only it was up to me! You don't have to convince me. My answer is based on my limited knowledge (as with all my answers).
Just applied and got offered a remote, clinical pharmacy job. They are saying candidates need to be 50 miles from any of their major hubs.
They could have said, 4.5 miles.
And the exotic locale was a small attempt at humor. It could as easily be Mexico, India, or Bora Bora.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably no.

The tech companies I work for remotely enforce strict geo-blocking policies (IP and data breach concerns), and I can't imagine any clinical work can be done remotely overseas. I don't want my clinical data & personal identifiable info to be transferred to another country where I cannot sue in case of misuse or data leak.

Not meant to be offensive, but come on, if clinical work can be done by someone remotely overseas, your job can be outsourced overseas, and your position will be eliminated.

Plenty of health systems use overseas radiologists after hours (or all hours if it's cheap enough). There's no reason you couldn't do pharmacy overseas...particularly something like PA or insurance company appeals, but likely nobody will hire you to do it.

When I was at Optum, our Billing team was in Philippines (under the name of United Health Group Global Services). During my onboarding week, we had a live presentation from an employee working over there (yes, he gotta work at 2am local time). Then, I also found out that the group who do Benefits Verification each month for our patients was in India. And of course, whenever we call our IT HelpDesk, we got connected to someone in India. So I dont see any reason why we can not provide pharmacy service from oversea either.

Probably no.

I think the clinical work can be done from anywhere in the world as long as that clinician has an appropriate US license. It is very very hard for any foreign graduate to get licensed in the US. Would UHC or CVS hire a bunch of RPh in India, bring them to the US, get them intern license, have them work 1000+ intern hours, get US license, then send them back to India so that they can outsource our clinical job?

When I was at Optum, our Billing team was in Philippines (under the name of United Health Group Global Services). During my onboarding week, we had a live presentation from an employee working over there (yes, he gotta work at 2am local time). Then, I also found out that the group who do Benefits Verification each month for our patients was in India. And of course, whenever we call our IT HelpDesk, we got connected to someone in India. So I dont see any reason why we can not provide pharmacy service from oversea either.
Clinical Pharmacy Services and Customer Service/IT are really two different things, you would have to agree. Using cheap labor in India, and an MTM pharmacist, well one is highly licensed and regulated. Again, I am not saying it cannot be done, it just NOT beneficial to a huge corporation to allow it, unless they can pay those pharmacist in Rupees or Pesos (like dirt cheap).
Well, if corporate gets wind of this, they can open up Pharmacy support centers in India, right next to their call centers, and pay them $2 to 5 / hr
Don't give them any ideas.

I am a clinical pharmacist (currently licensed in 3 states and board certified) and interested in a U.S. based remote pharmacist job that would still allow me to still do my job outside the US — in case of extended travel time or for any reason…

Do those jobs exist ? Everything I have seen requires you to reside in the US (I do have a US residence) but makes me think that the work must also be done in the US otherwise there might be legal issues?

I do prefer a clinical pharmacist job but also open to other remote pharmacist jobs

Thanks!

As far as I know, PBMs have an issue with pharmacists working outside of the US. They typically have no problems with living in any state or even US territory (Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, etc). The reason? I am not entirely sure. It may have something to do with information security.

I work for a PBM that’s super lax about where we work from. Even my workplace says no international logins.

I work for a PBM that’s super lax about where we work from. Even my workplace says no international logins.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

@projektreverb , do you mind clarifying.. your workplace does or doesn’t allow international logins? It sounds like you’re saying your PBM may allow you to work from abroad but that last statement confused me. Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies.

@projektreverb , do you mind clarifying.. your workplace does or doesn’t allow international logins? It sounds like you’re saying your PBM may allow you to work from abroad but that last statement confused me. Thanks
They do not allow international logins.

They do not allow international logins.
Oh I see. They are considered to be super lax but even they do not allow international log ins so you’re saying finding a place that does will be difficult.

Sorry but you're in the wrong profession if you're trying to work from anywhere in the world. You'll need a computer science degree to do that.