New Zealand

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cynosure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone attended Auckland University in NZ for optometry and is now practicing in US or Canada?
If so, what was the transition like and the education there?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a student at Auckland and from what I know there has been graduates who have successfully passed Waterloo's IOBP. I assume most of them are students from Canada as the process to work over there is quite long; we need 3 years work experience before we can take the assessments and then its either an 8 week course or 1 year course. And to work in the States is even longer as we need to do another 4 years study.

Canada's pathway isn't that long is it? 3 years experience in your home country, then a few weeks at IOBP( depending on your knowledge) and then the Canadian licensing exam right?

how is the immigration for kiwis or aussies in Canada like? I can't imagine it to be as tough as the States right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I think its a slight pain that we would've travelled across the world and during the couple of months (or the 1 year) we can't earn a living while we're studying to be qualified (how's the cost of living over there compared to the rest of the world?).

It's also more convenient to go to Aus as the degree in Auckland is recognised there and vice versa and we don't have to do any extra study to register.

In the future more optoms from Aus may practice in the US and Canada as Melbourne University is about to offer the OD degree which should be recognised by the US States and Canada so no extra study or work experience will be needed.

As for the immigration to Canada, I havent dont any research to comment although speculating I would think it is a lot easier to go there compared to the States.

I think there's a wider scope of practice in most of North America relative to Aus/NZ. Can't most States prescribe a range of systemic drugs etc.? They also get paid a bit more in the US/ Canada don't they?

I don't really know what to think about the Melbourne Model following the US pathway. I kind of feel sorry for the future students who will have to go through a lengthier process. Part of it is just pure business I guess; more time at Uni, more money down the tube. Plus it attracts students from North America who see degrees with the same name as home.

I mean really, all you need is a B.Optom to practice in Aus/ NZ, so why would students go for the OD pathway at Melbourne if they only wanted to practice in Aus/NZ?

'...

In the future more optoms from Aus may practice in the US and Canada as Melbourne University is about to offer the OD degree which should be recognised by the US States and Canada so no extra study or work experience will be needed..."

I'm not quite sure that an OD degree from an Australian school will be automatically recognized by any state in the United States for the purpose of taking a State Board Exam.

In my opinion, if each of the states in the US cannot even agree to easily migrate from one state to another by endorsement, I don't see how an international OD would fare better.

In summary, expect to do a lot of leg work in getting authorized to take the state board exam in the US should a US entry be desired.

I was really hoping to here from a Canadian who studied optometry in NZ (or Australia for that matter) and has returned to Canada to practice (or perhaps stayed in NZ/Aus)...

I have heard from many optometrists in Canada (from Waterloo) that have worked in Australia and said that their program is very similar to ours.

As for WHY the Melbourne is introducing the OD program is to be internationally recognized as equivalent to US/Canada. I imagine that eventually all schools will switch to this system --- because Australia is switching to the OD program - the students must have prerequisite undergrad prior to entry which allows a more sophisticated and in depth education while at optometry school.

I imagine in time NZ will follow this model as well.

As for coming back to Canada to practice I know that you need to have your undergrad completed (at least 3 years) prior to entry into overseas program - and then do the IOBP upon return....
As for returning to the US - you are out of luck as they will make you redo the whole program (which makes no sense as CANADA ~ USA education)

So anyone who has had the experience of leaving north america and studying optom overseas, and then returning will know more specifically how hard it is to return to north america...

???

"... I don't really know what to think about the Melbourne Model following the US pathway. I kind of feel sorry for the future students who will have to go through a lengthier process. Part of it is just pure business I guess; more time at Uni, more money down the tube. Plus it attracts students from North America who see degrees with the same name as home.

I mean really, all you need is a B.Optom to practice in Aus/ NZ, so why would students go for the OD pathway at Melbourne if they only wanted to practice in Aus/NZ?"

I don't think that this is just a 'money grab', they want to improve their educational standards and get recognition from it. The program only is accepting 60 students and I don't imagine that many of those spots are for international students.

Changing the program to an OD program does involve more years but also involves a higher level of learning - I can't speak for anyone else but if I was there and had to choose between the OD and the BOptom I would want to be the best I could be in my chosen area even if it meant a little more work on my part.

Last edited: